Worldwide MBA Programs divided into tiers

Hey guys,

I have been doing research on MBA programs but I've never come across a global tiered system for MBAs based on prestige/placement/quality, etc. By a tiered system I mean that you group the schools into tiers, and if you get into a school in a higher tier you would almost automatically choose that over a school in a lower tier, while two schools in the same tier would be debatable.

I have put this together and want community input (if I've messed anything up please let me know), as I prepare to look into MBA applications and choose where I'm going to apply.

It is not in an order ranking just in clusters

Tier 1 (M7 + LBS and INSEAD):

HBS
LBS
Stanford GSB
Chicago (Booth)
Penn (Wharton)
MIT (Sloan)
Northwestern (Kellogg)
Columbia
INSEAD

Tier 2 (top 12-13 US schools + top 3-5 internationals):

Dartmouth (Tuck)
Yale SOM
Virginia (Darden)
Duke (Fuqua)
Michigan (Ross)
Berkeley (Haas)
IESE
HEC Paris

Tier 2.5 (rounding out the top 15 US schools):

UCLA (Anderson)
Cornell
NYU (Stern)

Tier 3 (rounding out the top 20 US schools, along with some other top 10 internationals):

UT-Austin
UNC
Carnegie Mellon
Georgetown
Emory (Atlanta)
IE Business School
Cambridge (Judge)
Oxford (Said)
ESADE

Tier 4 (lower tier US schools - top 25, outside of the top 20 - and feeders for Toronto/Canada)

Notre Dame
WUSTL (Olin)
Indiana (Kelley)
Rice
Washington (Foster)
Western (Ivey)
Toronto (Rotman)
Queen’s (Smith)

I'd love your input.

I think tier 1 bracket should make some slight changes

tier 1: H, S W tier 2: C C M N tier 2.1: LBS INSEAD

the rest move down 1 tier Looking at the 2 european mba they seem to hire quite many people with some very typical non-fldp like corporate jobs... nothing special and placement is very bipolar some went mbb/bb ibd/pe some just land at fldp-like post-mba program

H/S are definitely considered a tier above Wharton; Booth is generally considered a peer school to Wharton. Look at P&Q's consolidated rankings and it's pretty stark. 7 of the past 8 years Harvard or Stanford have been 1st and 2nd place. All 8 of those years Wharton and Booth were also in the top 4. No other school has cracked top 4 in the consolidated ranking in that time frame. 6 of those 8 years Booth has been ahead of Wharton. Likely for 2018 too based on US News ranking.

I'd say it's- T1.1: H/S T1.2: Wharton, Booth, INSEAD Then etc as listed

Why is it that Americans get such a raging hard-on for MBAs from American schools? You cannot make a ranking like this because it is so America-centric. Maybe this order works for the US but it is COMPLETELY fucked up for recruiters in Europe.

Where is Bocconi? St. Gallen? These are top European business schools which carry more weight in Europe (and to some extent around the world) than any of the tier 4 schools mentioned and even some of the US schools in tier 3.

Even on a global scale, are you seriously telling me that recruiters prefer UCLA and Haas to Saïd or Judge? Come on man...

But I would be curious to know how many of those Europeans then go on and stay in the US. If the answer is a lot, it shows that to make it in the US, an American MBA helps. If lots go and then come back to Europe straight after finishing their American MBA then I'm not sure. From what I've seen, Europeans who stay in Europe tend to do their MBAs in Europe at the top B-schools

I am not from the States. In Asia actually no one cares about the European schools in graduate level... If its ug, it is acceptable if u met people who are more knowledgeable. But for masters, ur best bet is to start in europe and transfer unless u are attending insead or lbs.

For UCLA, maybe not. But for Haas is definitely way more represented than said and judge. Said and Judge are ok for their MFE and MPhil Finance program. But for the mba programs, I haven't really seen someone came from there. Yale and cornell are much more represented than the 2.

I agree with the undergrad point but the point that in Asia no one cares seems off. Perhaps this may be for Asian firms but you're telling me that the Asian office of a BB or MBB would strongly prefer an American MBA to a European one in cases where the schools are close? Haas and Ross or Fuqua would be seen much better than LBS or HEC? I doubt that. Then again, I don't have recruiting experience in Asia so I'm speculating but that seems off to me.

I think that once you go beyond US top 10 & LBS / INSEAD, the programs become very regional and their attractiveness really depend on the candidate and their goals so it's pretty much impossible to truly compare. For example, I would advise a Canadian wanting to stay in Canada to pick Ivey over a top 10-25 school in the US or an international school other than LBS / INSEAD (and perhaps IMD depending on the candidate), but I would not recommend to someone without ties to Canada to go Ivey period. Similarly, the schools you listed place very well in their local market, but have very little recognition outside of them. On the other hand, US programs ranked 10-25 tend to have much better international recognition.

Thank you so much for your kind response! Would it be safe to assume that amongst US 10-25 B-schools and other International Schools, the growth trajectory in the initial years post-MBA would be similar? For instance, say a Foster's Grad prospects in Seattle would be similar to a Cranfield MBA in UK or Ivey Grad in Canada? Thank you so much once again for your time and inputs! Great help!!

Thank you so much for your kind response! Would it be safe to assume that amongst US 10-25 B-schools and other International Schools, the growth trajectory in the initial years post-MBA would be similar? For instance, say a Foster's Grad prospects in Seattle would be similar to a Cranfield MBA in UK or Ivey Grad in Canada? Thank you so much once again for your time and inputs! Great help!!

To be honest, I don't know that I know enough to truly have an informed opinion. You'd probably be better off checking out each school employment reports.

But I would say thought that the growth trajectories of grads already varies quite a bit within a given school so it really depends on what is your plan post graduation. For people wanting to work in industry, I would assume similar growth trajectories across the schools you listed, but if goal is finance or consulting, then some of these regional schools (particularity those outside the UK / UK) will offer much better opportunities for local students. For example, Ivey is a target for Canadian IB and MBB while a school like Cranfield will only be target for 2nd / 3rd tier consulting firms and for middle and back office roles at banks.

Hye Guyfromct, Thanks for your inputs. I agree that the international schools cant be compared to each other or to US schools in absolute terms. However, would it be right to deduce that, say, since Ivey has a better career placement record in MBB and other top-notch consultancy firms, it is better than Georgetown University, D.C. in consultancy.

best, Rahul

For the US, use US News and Poets & Quants up until the top 16-20. Too hard to say after that. Don't trust European sources on US schools; too biased and don't know the market.

For Europe, there are no good rankings. The big 3 are INSEAD/LBS/IESE. They're peers overall but very different culturally. After that, it all becomes more regional/local. Don't trust English-language sources on global matters; too biased and overstate LBS.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Thank you so much, jtbbdxbnycmad! That is indeed very insightful. Can you please help me out with comparing Canadian Schools as well? Especially, UofT, Queens and Ivey. Would it be wise to put them in 15-20 bracket when compared to US B-schools?

thanks so much once again!

jtbbdxbnycmad:

For the US, use US News and Poets & Quants up until the top 16-20. Too hard to say after that. Don't trust European sources on US schools; too biased and don't know the market.

For Europe, there are no good rankings. The big 3 are INSEAD/LBS/IESE. They're peers overall but very different culturally. After that, it all becomes more regional/local. Don't trust English-language sources on global matters; too biased and overstate LBS.

Would disagree that IESE really ranks up there with the other 2 there. IESE is part of the same tier as Bocconi, HEC, St Gallen and possibly IE (superpowers in their own country, decent base in London, practically unknown outside of Europe)

junkbondswap:
I generally agree with Ideating but not on this point...we live in a highly competitive society and rankings are "important"...not sure if you are involved in the bschool admissions process but rankings are very important when considering future job prospects and ROIs drop dramatically as you drop down the list

But I don't think anyone would claim that is because of the rankings. The rankings simply reflect which schools are better; the fact that they are correlated with opportunities does not mean that they cause those opportunities.

jbs - fully agree with you that future job prospects and ROIs drop dramatically.

However, lists like these are confusing at best, delusionary at worst. There are a bunch of similar lists by similarly prestigious institutions and they all have different rankings.

Think of it this way - if your friend gets into Northwestern and HBS, but Northwestern is ranked higher on the list: which school would you advise your friend attend to maximize his ROI post graduation?

Put another way, these lists don't drive ROI - those factors are prestige and alumni networks that take years to develop.

SarahP:
World TOP 6 MBA

US : Harvard - Wharton - Stanford - Columbia

Non US : LBS(yeah not LSE) (UK) - INSEAD(France)

And PiperJaffrayChiang is a douche bag. End of story.

PiperJaffrayChiang:
no Yale?

and... quadcore is a boutique scrub

SarahP is so correct my boy! How the hell does Yale come in any close to TOP MBA Program?

ibleedexcel:
Business Week ranking methodology is bogus as is illustrated by its nonsensical results. (chicago #1 and ahead of HBS, Michigan ahead of Stanford, Duke ahead of MIT, Yale at #24, the list goes on.). Many of the others - FT, WSJ, etc. are even worse.

USNews is the only MBA ranking that reflects reality. Or at least is pretty darn close.

That's why I listed programs that were in the top 20 of all three rankings (by the way, I didn't post those programs in any particular order). I figured there would be more consensus that way.

yale's MBA is not strong, but you still have the name which never hurts. They are building a new building and looking to revamp their business school in the coming years.

I think the differences between top 10 schools is so minor that is why they flip flop depending on what metric used to rank them. The job opportunities, quality of education and name recognition is going to be great at just about each and every school in the original post.

AnthonyD1982:
I think the differences between top 10 schools is so minor that is why they flip flop depending on what metric used to rank them. The job opportunities, quality of education and name recognition is going to be great at just about each and every school in the original post.

Can we even reach a consensus on the top 10 though? I imagine the "top 10" would include about 15 different schools depending on who you ask.

My %ages: 30 - Salary & Bonus 25 - Dean & Director Opinion 25 - Average GMAT 10 - Student Selectivity 10 - Research

Outcome: H/S/W/MIT/Berkeley/Booth/Col

Not far off from general "consensus". Wonder what dragged down Booth, though. I think that larger schools are discounted in my rankings by virtue of GMAT and Student Selectivity metrics.

YoshiIsAwesome:

My %ages:
30 - Salary & Bonus
25 - Dean & Director Opinion
25 - Average GMAT
10 - Student Selectivity
10 - Research

Outcome:
H/S/W/MIT/Berkeley/Booth/Col

Not far off from general "consensus". Wonder what dragged down Booth, though. I think that larger schools are discounted in my rankings by virtue of GMAT and Student Selectivity metrics.

Both Booth and Kellogg will be hurt by admissions rate numbers.

In my humble view, it's mostly a location thing, somewhat a medium/large student body thing.

This is a really cool toy.

I've always said that I have a "Top 9" view (M7 + Tuck + Berkeley). My first shot at this (I gave a value between 5 and 15 to each, with my top 3 factors being ROI, GMAT and Employer Opinion, gave me the top 9 I had in mind.

Order differed somewhat.

If you'd ask me my opinion, I'd say: Stanford HBS Wharton Booth Sloan Tuck Kellogg Columbia Berkeley

What the calculator gave me: HBS Wharton Stanford Booth Sloan Berkeley Columbia Kellogg Tuck

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

One thing that surprised me was how often Wharton came out on top in the combinations I selected. If you look exclusively and tangible inputs (salary, placement %, GMAT, etc.), a case could easily be made for Wharton as the top bschool.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

I just randomly clicked on the link because I was bored. I selected student selectivity to 100% and got UC Davis in the top 5, so at first I thought it was clearly broken. Then I did almost 2 solid minutes of google searching and discovered that it's probably not inaccurate. But since everyone on this forum is obsessed with prestige I am surprised that folks aren't lining up in droves to submit their applications to UC Davis along with the biggies (Harverd, etc)

I did 40% Alumni Advancement and 40% Employer Opinion - what the people who have gone through the program think about it and how much the people who are going to employ you are going to value it should be the two most important factors. You could also think of it as an "inside opinion" and "outside opinion". I also allocated 10% each to salary and selectivity to add some quant stats and to knock down slackers a notch.

ROI/Debt are not really an issue if you're looking for the best overall school, Faculty Research is simply irrelevant, Dean/Director opinion can be biased, Job Placement rate is not an indicator for top schools at all (because people are targeting more selective and hard-to-get jobs) and Average GMAT is not really an important thing in itself, only as a predicate, and in that form is already factored into the Employer Opinion/Salaries/Selectivity etc. Thus none of these get any points from me.

Results:

1 Harvard University 2 Stanford University 3 University of California, Berkeley (Haas) 4 Northwestern University (Kellogg) 5 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) 6 Duke University (Fuqua) 7 University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) 8 Columbia University 9 Yale University 10 University of California, Los Angeles (Anderson) 11 Dartmouth College (Tuck) 12 University of Chicago (Booth) 13 University of Virginia (Darden) 14 Cornell University (Johnson) 15 University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Ross)

Overall not very surprising, except for Haas and Fuqua being so high and Booth being so low.

The latter might be potentially due to it having high GMATs, high faculty research, high opinion from other directors and high average salaries (as a result of a lot of alumni going into finance), thus topping many other rankings that favor these factors. Looks like it's not a super great experience for the alumni, and the alumni themselves are not a very good fit in the workplace (nerds not being able to connect with people?).

I disagree with the statement that "faculty research is just irrelevant." I think it's a solid proxy for academic program quality. I think education quality is underrated, particularly in finance.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Did two setups. One emphasizing subjective factors (1/4 each for alumni, faculty, dean, employer - I couldn't pick 3, otherwise I'd have left out faculty). Top 9: H, W, S, M, K/Haas, Duke, B, Col One emphasizing seemingly more empirical factors (1/5 salary, job, ROI, selectivity, GMAT). Top 9: W, S, B, H, T, M, Haas, Col, K Observations: - Wharton does surprisingly well, considering how for everyone it's H/S and then W. Surprising too since there's a perception that it has negative momentum, but looking at this, Wharton is better than Stanford and only HBS is its peer. - The MBA business schools">M7 is a silly moniker, since Haas is as much of a peer as Columbia is. - HBS and Booth are almost mirror images in terms of performance delta in subjective and empirical factors (HBS still wins; just an observation on their relative strengths and weaknesses). - Obviously this is open to debate, but even though most of us are in finance (which supposedly is about numbers), I think the Anglosaxon world overall is predicated on the superiority of soft power.

The interesting note about this year's BusinessWeek rankings is that they corrected some poor assumptions/oversights in their recruiter survey data crunching side, which smoothed out some of the anomalous or harder-to-swallow results from 2010 (namely, SMU Cox being rated so highly, above solid, even prestigious, schools such as Tuck or Stern). The Top 5 this year is pretty much everyone's top 5 - as always, there will be disagreement whenever HBS isn't number one, but in my mind BW's ranking has an overall shape that approximates broad, popular opinion in a broad brushstroke sort of way, but the individual rankings are the result of more granular analysis.

My view of business school rankings differs from my view of general undergraduate rankings. While most use "prestige" as the single most important factor for business school rankings (using the reasoning of "well, the education is a commodity and all the students have the same GMAT distribution across the top 10 and get similar jobs, so what really matters is the brand value"), I take an employer-and-compensation driven market approach. (I should add that some folks feel that students are the market and you should look at yield; input matters but I look more at output).

For me, the short-term career side is incredibly important so the jobs report, employer surveys and career returns are the most important factors, and resultantly I pay more attention to the rankings that emphasize these. More specifically, that means Forbes and BusinessWeek. USNews tends to be cited very often because its undergraduate ranking is the most widely known at a national level (zero currency abroad though), and also because it is the most conservative ranking that uses a comprehensive set of data that almost always results in H/S trading the top spot, and Wharton occasionally ceding the 3rd spot to "the next 3" (Chicago, MIT, Northwestern). This makes sense as the USNews ranking is the one that includes the most admissions-oriented data in its formula, and the schools tend to rank in that order. For USNews, I find all the data amusing, but look at the employer survey and jobs data the most.

It should come as no surprise that by and large, the top 5 or so in these three rankings include the same schools, and what matters is the order, and that is based on how the formula is computed. BusinessWeek tends to sort those top 5/6 schools in order of short-term job boost/satisfaction; Forbes looks at ROI (though its sample size/data set has obvious shortcomings); and USNews is the best proxy for admissions competitiveness and yield (though the latter can be gamed, with some notable examples).

Oh yeah, the cheerleading note. The interesting for me is to see the difference between Student Cheerleading Ranking and Recruiter Satisfaction for BW. Very telling (rank, school, student survey, recruiter survey):

1 Chicago (Booth) 11 1
2 Harvard 12 3
3 Pennsylvania (Wharton) 16 2
4 Stanford 8 5
5 Northwestern (Kellogg) 13 4
6 Duke (Fuqua) 22 7
7 Cornell (Johnson) 2 12
8 Michigan (Ross) 14 6
9 MIT (Sloan) 9 10
10 Virginia (Darden) 5 9
11 Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) 3 17
12 Dartmouth (Tuck) 4 11
13 UC-Berkeley (Haas) 10 13
14 Columbia 20 8
15 Indiana (Kelley) 20 46
16 NYU (Stern) 7 16

After Stern I stopped...

The Top 5, in raw score, are the same schools as the Top 5 in recruiter score. After that it goes a little all over the place. I'm not sure I'd take Duke or Ross over Columbia, so Columbia, and to a certain extent MIT and Tuck, seem to be a bit punished by this ranking.

It's still a little hokey.

pacman007:
Columbia 14th?? Doesn't make sense...

I'm definitely not liking Rice (Jones) heading down and not up according to BW. That sucks.

Rice will always play second fiddle to McCombs. It's still very well-respected in the energy world.

The top 5 is right with the exception of booth being #1. Not even booth students think their school is better than HBS or Stanford. After the top 5, the ranking quickly falls apart and goes into bizarro territory. Duke at #6, Cornell at #7, and Ross at #8 is really weird. Regardless, almost no one takes those schools over mit, tuck, columbia, and i don't think that's going to change because of this ranking. At the end of the day, b-school applicants have a very clear idea of what the "real" ranking is and what type of opportunities are available at those schools.

lasampdoria:
Why is Yale SOM ranked so low? Did not even make the top-15.

Thoughts?

Probably because they didn't buy their soccer cleats from the most trusted brand names!!

I would have to say this list is pretty much junk, unless you sort by employer. It seems their methodology is a bit funky and questionable.

I was trying to find what the composition of 'Intellectual Capital' is, but had no luck. With that said, I'm trying to figure out just how Darden comes in at 32? I just don't buy that Olin, Smith, Hough and Carlson have more intellectual capital.

If you want a pretty decent ranking, just check out the one done by Poets and Quants. I think they have a pretty solid list.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/12/08/the-top-100-u-s-mba-programs-of-20…

As far as your original question, it's really hard to say. The list clearly isn't accurate, in the traditional sense, so I wouldn't take it too hard. I think Yale is an up and coming program that has a lot of ground to cover. Maybe they will be a top 10 school one day but I do think your ability to move up the ranks is very limited. Just look at the top 4 or 5 schools for the last several years. They are virtually always the same, with just a move up or down by a spot or two. When the first 5, or 7, spots are occupied, the 5-10, or 7-10, spots are going to be hard to move into...which is why you have people structuring schools in tiers instead.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

lasampdoria:
Why is Yale SOM ranked so low? Did not even make the top-15.

Thoughts?

It's not a great school, period. People have been talking about Yale rising to the ranks of the top 10 in the same way that christian fundamentalists talk about the imminent return of Jesus Christ. Well, guess what. It hasn't happened and most likely won't happen. There is only so much that Dean Snyder can do, and I don't think their new building will help that much either. Fact of the matter is, SOM has a structural disadvantage. First, it's one of the youngest b-schools out there: founded in 1974 but did not even start giving out MBA degrees until like the late 90's or so. Second, as a result of that, Yale's alumni network is small and weak. And finally, it's still not that respected among recruiters, which is what counts.

there is no way that duke, cornell and ross > MIT, Columbia. Also, Chicago number 1 is a stretch. The admission rate should have a higher percentage in the score.

the real ranking is which school students select when they have multiple offers. Some people might select MIT, Chicago over HBS, Stanford, but it is not the norm. Also, some students might select Duke over MIT, but it is also, not the norm.

lifeofpurpose:
there is no way that duke, cornell and ross > MIT, Columbia. Also, Chicago number 1 is a stretch. The admission rate should have a higher percentage in the score.

the real ranking is which school students select when they have multiple offers. Some people might select MIT, Chicago over HBS, Stanford, but it is not the norm. Also, some students might select Duke over MIT, but it is also, not the norm.

I couldn't agree more. On an anecdotal level, I work with a Duke grad (ESL) who is barley literate. How he managed to graduate without being able to write a proper email is beyond me.

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

lifeofpurpose:

Bingo. I think cross-admit stats are what counts since after all it's what the customers think, that matters. For instance, what % of people who get into both HBS and Booth will take the latter? I don't know the answer to that, but i'm pretty sure it's a rather low number.

MCC:
Wharton Booth Sloan Columbia Stern LBS INSEAD

I agree with this, but i would place columbia ahead of sloan for just about any finance job.

INSEAD is great for consulting and PE shops in europe but not that great in other areas. Also it's only a one-year program, so the dynamics of recruiting there is probably very different from the others.

Stern>HBS/Wharton...ok.....

So what do you do? -I work for an investment banking firm. Oh okay; you are like my brother, he works for Edward Jones. -No, a college degree is required in my profession

Reality hits you hard, bro...

These rankings are done from a students perspective - so it really comes down to how much they love their school. The FT rankings probably give a better indication of 'quality' than this list.

MBAGrad2015:

First, the OP is a weird dude who is obsessed with Brady.

Second, no one takes the bloomberg ranking seriously. Wharton at 5, Stanford at 7, Tuck at 14? And Booth and Kellogg at 2 and 3? Ok, Bloomberg needs to focus on financial news and stop embarrassing themselves by dabbling in MBA rankings.

I agree, and things get even weirder the further down the list you go. I mean, NC State over Notre Dame/Wash U? Are you fing kidding me? And amazing that a school can go from #1 to #8 in just one year. I guess that's what happens when you only survey alumni from what seems to be an arbitrary 3 year period (and one during a recession no less) and can't even be bothered to use current employment/salary data.

MBAGrad2015:

First, the OP is a weird dude who is obsessed with Brady.

Second, no one takes the bloomberg ranking seriously. Wharton at 5, Stanford at 7, Tuck at 14? And Booth and Kellogg at 2 and 3? Ok, Bloomberg needs to focus on financial news and stop embarrassing themselves by dabbling in MBA rankings.

Third, do you really want to know which schools are better? Look at where people who actually get in end up attending. HBS and Stanford decisively beat every other school in cross-admits, followed by Wharton, and then Booth/Columbia/Sloan/Kellogg lumped together in the same group. I do think Wharton's edge over the latter group has gone down a lot in recent years. I know a lot of people who turned down Wharton for other schools due to scholarship and other factors.

not sure if you heard this concept before, but - if you don't make ridiculous rankings and alternate the rankings, they can't catch any eyeballs!

Suppose bloomberg ranking is status quo for 10 years, they'll be soon forgotten..

i actually think it's not a terrible ranking. obviously the Stanfurd placement is wrong, but if you look at the top seven schools in that ranking... yeah, those are basically the top seven programs. If you look at the top 10... looks about right, although I might swap out Duke for Dartmouth, but otherwise looks decent.

I would expect Wharton to take a serious brand hit about two years into the Trump administration, so maybe they are just baking that into their ranking now.

jankynoname:

i actually think it's not a terrible ranking. obviously the Stanfurd placement is wrong, but if you look at the top seven schools in that ranking... yeah, those are basically the top seven programs. If you look at the top 10... looks about right, although I might swap out Duke for Dartmouth, but otherwise looks decent.

I would expect Wharton to take a serious brand hit about two years into the Trump administration, so maybe they are just baking that into their ranking now.

Haha. I laughed my ass off with the Trump comment. Nicely played, sir!

Well, you're right that the MBA business schools">M7 schools are all in the top 7, as opposed to something weird like Duke being #1 in last year's rankings. But Booth at #2 and Stanford at #7 don't make any sense whatsoever. Not bashing Booth by any means, but any ranking that does not have HBS/Stanford at the very top doesn't make sense. I agree that Wharton is in decline, but it's still a solid top 3-4 program.

if you're looking at anything but the salary rank, you're doing it wrong.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

Brady went to Wharton for his MBA, is a CFA charterholder, worked in sell-side as a trader on exotic derivatives, got a 780 GMAT and slays hot women on a daily basis. I think none are true.

AllDay_028:

This thread got super weird. Why did you delete all your comments?

For people who don't know, ''Human Capital'' is dating Brady's sister. That's why he teases him so much. His sister saw his messages and told him to remove them or else.

Being the pussy that he is, Human Capital, in fear of having no more punanny, promptly deleted his messages.

these rankings don't mean much... Anderson was #10 in 2007, dropped to #16 in 2008, and now back up to #11 in 2009?

currently a 1st year at Anderson and I can say that we do pretty well in IB recruiting. we are definitely one of the core schools for IB offices on the west coast. as far as NYC goes, that's a different story- our brand obviously doesn't carry much weight out east.

Northwestern is not necessarily better for banking. Their hallmark program is marketing, which is the best in the country most likely. For banking, nobody can beat Columbia's NY contacts, and at 9th overall they aren't too shabby as an entire b-school institution. Might sound crazy, but there are people in b-school who don't want to end up doing finance. Northwestern might not be the best banking b-school but they are phenomenal for marketing.

gomes3pc:
Northwestern is not necessarily better for banking. Their hallmark program is marketing, which is the best in the country most likely. For banking, nobody can beat Columbia's NY contacts, and at 9th overall they aren't too shabby as an entire b-school institution. Might sound crazy, but there are people in b-school who don't want to end up doing finance. Northwestern might not be the best banking b-school but they are phenomenal for marketing.

Many times people say the non-finance schools, like Kellogg, are also good for banking since there are less people competing for the same banking spot. How do you ppl see this? Obviously there are less finance recruiters at Kellogg than Chicago GSB so this would just offset the before mentioned advantage.

Indian-banker, you can't just look at one ranking. Financial Times rank Columbia as the second business school worldwide (after Wharton).

There was also a ranking of rankings done which essentially took a weighted average of the various rankings, and Columbia came out No 1, and has been so for the last couple of years. I am very impressed with Columbia and aim to do my MBA there after 2-3 years in banking.

MBA rankings mean very little, ugrad bschool rankings mean even less. Some very respectable publications put HBS at like 6 or 7- if that's the case, why does it have a ~90% yield? Why is it that HBS recruiting kills other schools? It's not like the top employers sit on tenterhooks until the rankings come out and then send recruiting teams to the top 10 schools. I am convinced that the more stock you put in business school rankings, the less you actually know about the whole system. That, and people who refer to an "Ivy league MBA" as a top MBA.

Also I hate to attack a specific school, but Sternies are the WORST about that shit... "Omg, Stern is #3 this year, woooooo!!!" I once told an especially obnoxious Sternie that if you are intelligent enough, you go to a school without an undergrad business program- he didn't take it well.

Quis qui nihil qui ut praesentium est. Voluptatem harum aut autem distinctio odio magni natus.

Odit ut et quia veritatis voluptas. Aut deleniti eaque maxime repudiandae ad. Cum aspernatur rem quam reiciendis voluptatem.

Eaque non magnam ratione tenetur illum necessitatibus omnis. Magni et natus ut soluta dolor ratione ad. Iste quis repellendus quaerat nulla qui. Iure ab expedita enim et assumenda aut rerum.

Similique dolores asperiores ut minus. Quisquam officiis ex harum vero. Dicta expedita aut voluptas consequatur.

Ut impedit quasi commodi dolore ipsum. Explicabo est qui explicabo et quos ad deserunt.

Ad quam quo quo aut est. Consequatur dolor molestiae ea sed libero officia. Incidunt consequatur corporis autem omnis est tenetur quas. Exercitationem fuga dolorum veniam delectus omnis ut adipisci. Velit at fugit et qui doloribus odit possimus. Vero ut quae officia inventore at. Qui iste saepe natus itaque quis.

Ut qui consequatur qui. Saepe exercitationem omnis accusantium dicta omnis tempore. Sunt omnis molestiae qui ea est nihil. Omnis aut enim harum non. Ut est expedita non ab aperiam inventore. Non eos voluptatem quia maxime. Quis ab ipsa accusamus dolore distinctio.

Voluptas repudiandae quaerat magnam ut. Pariatur quas est similique iusto.

Enim similique nihil molestiae dignissimos dolor quam quas. Eveniet enim nam ipsa consequatur aperiam qui. Voluptate qui rerum maiores eum sed consequatur.

Quas dicta eligendi ratione enim harum et. Nihil voluptates excepturi veniam. Est similique tempora rerum qui laudantium dolor quia.

Alias illo aut sequi temporibus. Ratione sed velit consequatur explicabo incidunt et. Earum est quos quisquam atque laborum accusamus inventore. Dolor vitae id recusandae vero quibusdam ut quos.

Ut magni ab temporibus distinctio cumque. Blanditiis a et qui occaecati et dolor aut. Quam et eos suscipit et assumenda deleniti. Quod optio et et quas quibusdam esse temporibus. Neque sed et explicabo officia eos. Occaecati vel corrupti corrupti modi architecto.

Ut nihil at aut. Accusamus corrupti sint necessitatibus ex dolores. Perferendis ullam vel velit nisi porro laudantium alias odit.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”