So I have been assigned to prepare the capitalization table for a company. I have read online about how a cap table works but there are practical aspects that aren't mentioned. Could someone help me out?
- Where do I start? Do I email the CFO to ask for it?
- How do I verify that the CFO did not mess up preparing it? Do I need to get lawyers to verify the cap table eg. how many series B preferred shares there are?
- To prepare a fully diluted cap table, read shareholders agreement to get liquidation preferences and dilution mechanisms. The price per share / pre-money valuation discussed would affect the number of diluted shares outstanding. For example, it affects convertible bonds. Is my understanding correct?
- Anything I missed?
Private Equity Interview Course
- 2,447 questions across 203 private equity funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 mem.
- 9 Detailed LBO Modeling Tests and 15+ hours of video solutions.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring private equity professionals just like you.