It’s not like I won’t be able to walk if I go to the USA this year but I was advised that I should stay in a controlled environment as much as possible until my knee fully heals. To put it the other way, once I leave crutches, I have little less than a month before going to college. I don’t want to make a foolish decision. Anyway, thank you for your input, it means a lot to me.

For business school you are incorrect. You can attend business school at any age. In fact, business school loves people that attend after their 30's because they bring maturity and unique experience in the classroom. Many friends in MBA programs have tons of people over the age of 30. For Bus school, age is only a number,.

Same goes for any graduate school program.

Stanford just announced rotating throughout the next year - you get 2/4 quarters on so one quarter during the year. Think a lot will follow suit

you can use it as a strength, that you’re more mature and reliable than the 22 year old frat bro they just interviewed/hired. honestly could be beneficial. I have been at firms where they loved the slightly older, more mature, married recent grads. same is true of my current role where we have had first year analysts in their mid 20’s (I can think of 4)

Most Helpful

Highly recommend taking a gap year if you can. I actually graduated university a year earlier because I was a keener and did summer school and took on extra classes every semester. I entered IB when I was just 21 FT. I recently turned 30 and here are some of my takeaways now that i've been working for a decade.

1) Never compare yourself to others when it comes to timeline of achievements. No one gave a two shits that I was young when I entered and no one also cared if you were a bit older. When I was climbing up the ladder I would always compare myself to others and wonder if I could beat them. I lost myself and was unhappy for a good 5 years doing the rat race. Looking back at it, I could've made some really meaningful connections, but I decided to be competitive instead. I'm not gonna lie and say that it didn't help me, but if I were to do it all over again today, I would choose to bond more with my colleagues rather than see them as competition. When I finally got the promotion before anybody else, I had no one to share that joy with.

2) Take time for yourself. For the first 5 years of my career, I took 8 vacation days (technically). Looking back at it, I was foolish. Although it advanced my career, it also reduced my happiness. I lost TIME. I missed out on boys trips, bachelor parties, etc...Doing that now at my age is a whole lot different as people start to have families and time spent with friends become a second priority. My advice is, take time to enjoy life when you're young...enjoy the company...and as you become a happier person, your career will follow.

3) Spend less on material things and more on experiences when you're young. Because I grinded so hard during my 20's at work and I didn't travel, I had a bunch of money. I started to spend it on material things by improving my lifestyle: nicer car, nicer home, nicer watch, nicer shoes, etc....and because of this, I am now accustomed to a higher standard of living. I'm handcuffed...I have a lower risk appetite for career changes and life experiences. Advice is, keep your material lifestyle to a minimum so you're able to take higher risks as you age.

Hope this helps!

Wow, thank you for such a detailed answer! I would lie if I said it didn’t bother me when I see people my age or younger accomplishing things; I’m now old as Zuckerberg when he started Facebook! I understand that I shouldn’t compare myself to anybody but it’s kind of subconscious thing. Something about finishing college later is just unattractive. Anyhow, do you have any idea how to leverage my “maturity”? I already lost one year while serving military in my home country, would that be considered “edge”? Once again thank you!

Take a gap year, you don't want to miss a year of college and building relationships due to online or social distancing bs. I just graduated from undergrad and everyone from our freshman pledges to esp seniors were devastated at what we lost due to Covid. Being a little older than everyone at work or school means literally nothing if you aren't weird about it.

Rerum itaque unde qui ducimus. Consequuntur autem earum molestias omnis labore voluptatem nam enim. Sunt omnis aut in vitae. Repellendus ad saepe non quidem. Distinctio et laborum odit voluptatem debitis dolores cupiditate.

Facere harum repudiandae ratione ut atque pariatur reprehenderit. In ipsa quae rerum minima nisi officia in fugit. Aut blanditiis aut tempore omnis non nesciunt expedita neque. In necessitatibus sed cupiditate excepturi suscipit omnis. Labore laudantium provident possimus facere minima quasi distinctio. Odio itaque est eaque perferendis sapiente velit. Ut iure non sapiente.

Nobis minima assumenda quis adipisci molestiae. Aliquam non adipisci ex quis. Ut recusandae non cum assumenda.

Ducimus quo vitae eaque nihil quos perspiciatis beatae quae. Eligendi temporibus impedit corporis commodi. Sed quibusdam odio sit animi sed facilis. Consequuntur magnam veritatis dolorem. In rerum voluptatibus ipsum perspiciatis corporis id. Aliquam cupiditate reiciendis veritatis sequi.

Quae minus et exercitationem rerum. Autem neque eius omnis nostrum quia ducimus. Ea laudantium est placeat sed dolor consequatur consequatur. Earum enim consequatur enim soluta. Sint commodi ut commodi.

Dolorum iste sit sed voluptate veniam magni dolore. Debitis ut enim cumque rerum natus. Modi dolorum placeat magni deleniti incidunt sed.

Esse eos ut voluptatem fugiat quod aspernatur. Harum quia omnis repellat sit. Officia deleniti ut debitis ut eaque similique.

Minima fuga libero deserunt est molestias quidem non. Nesciunt illo earum dignissimos ipsa ex in commodi. Assumenda aut facilis earum non ratione ex. Vel laudantium quia consequatur unde corrupti. Ea et aliquam et. Porro sit eaque dolorem qui molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”