I've never been to NYC (besides interviews) and I'm having a hard time trying to find apartments for my upcoming FTgig. I understand brokers are the best way to go, but I'm afraid of getting ripped off (considering I live on the other side of the country and have NEVER lived in a city). Few questions I have are:
1) Did you visit the city / tour apartments and neighborhoods before you moved into your new apartment?
2) If so, how long did you stay in the city and where did you stay in the city?
3) Is living in for e.g. LES a good idea for an Analyst working in midtown?
4) What about living in Fidi?
5) When you guys go out to drink (once in a blue moon, I assume), do you guys take the subway back home or cab? I grew up in a not-so-safe neighborhood and night time commute has always been of concern to me.
My gig starts in July, and I'm looking to move in early July. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Incoming IBD Analyst