how is an actuarial science degree viewed?

I was wondering how an actuarial science degree is viewed among recruiters and among the general finance public (ex. bankers, traders etc.)

Do they even know what actuarial science is? Do they view it as a quantitative major or as a "lesser" major? How does it stand against a major such as math? (Act sci basically is like 3/4 of a math major).

I was thinking of double majoring in finance and actuarial science but would finance and math be a more impressive looking combo?

PS. I am very strong in my math abilities so doing a math major over an act sci won't make much of a difference. However act sci does seem to lean more towards finance and investments, hence my hesitation here.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I can't speak to the actuarial science degree per se, but the math major definitely gets serious respect. If you're doubling with finance, the finance/investment aspect of the actuarial science degree is pretty redundant (unless you actually want to be an actuary). If you think you can handle it, do the math-finance double. The finance degree will set you up well for business stuff, and the math major will prove your quantitative/analytical chops.

One of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

I was thinking of doing an actuarial science degree not for the exams, but for the sake of showing my quantitative abilities, and the potential extra level of respect it may receive, by it being a quantitative major. Furthermore I highly doubt that bankers/traders will recognize the actuarial exams and the degree of difficulty it holds.

So to current bankers / traders: if you see a kid that double majored in finance and actuarial science, how much respect would it get? Would a double major in finance and math far exceed that of finance + actuarial science?

goingbrokeinNYC:
I was thinking of doing an actuarial science degree not for the exams, but for the sake of showing my quantitative abilities, and the potential extra level of respect it may receive, by it being a quantitative major. Furthermore I highly doubt that bankers/traders will recognize the actuarial exams and the degree of difficulty it holds.

So to current bankers / traders: if you see a kid that double majored in finance and actuarial science, how much respect would it get? Would a double major in finance and math far exceed that of finance + actuarial science?

If you want to highlight your Quant side just do Finance and Math/Stat/Physics etc.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

I've heard of actuarial science. The only kid in my finance classes that provided some serious competition for grades who wasn't an engineering major was in actuarial science.

IMHO, it's as good as a stats degree. But if you're set up to be an actuary, why in the hell would you throw that all away to go into a dying industry like banking? It would be like an electrician 30 years ago deciding that he can make more money working for GM and that he should go work there because they're such a cool employer and all the rage in Detroit. You'd have to have a three inch hole in your head to trade in a stable career as an insurance executive working 9-5 for a banking career working 5-9 (5PM-9AM) in an unstable industry.

The world will always need actuaries- they've been around since the Scottish Widow's Fund. And in an age of financial uncertainty, death is still a pretty darned certain science when it comes to annuities and life insurance.

Stick to insurance. You can always trade viaticals if you change your mind.

Do you think a degree in act sci would be redundant if I were to be taking just for the sake of proving my quantitative abilities? Would a degree in statistics be preferable over act sci? (I'm asking this in terms of landing a job in both banking and in trading)

I think applied math would be a strong degree, but why banking or trading? Why not insurance? It's a nice, stable industry with not all that much competition. All things being equal, I think it is more likely that you'll become the CEO of a Fortune 500 firm if you become an actuary than if you become a trader or even an investment banker.

When everyone and their uncle wants a job in banking or trading, you know the industry is overbought. Going into trading right now is like buying a Hummer back in 2005. You don't want to be doing what everyone else is doing right now because the market will get more efficient, there will be fewer opportunities to make money, capital will be more scarce, and you've got all of these headwinds. Just like the fact that everyone got a hummer, it wasn't special anymore, and now gas prices are really high because people are getting 7 mpg in their cars.

Seriously think about becoming an actuary or a risk manager. Those are highly specialized roles that should have stable job prospects over the next forty years. Anybody can be a trader- it takes a great deal of intellect to be an actuary.

Agreed with kbluearmor7. Also, if you want to have some plan B in case your finance career doesn't work out as you expected it to be, having taken some actuarial tests can be a signal for insurance companies.

As an applied math major who had considered (not quite seriously though) being an actuary, it is a legit career and tests are not that easy. Ok the first few tests might be easy but it gets harder and harder..... Yet the job can be boring if you are not that type of person who like to sit down and calculate the probability of your company's clients dying earlier than the normal life expectancy and how much profit that will bring to your company. Having talked with some industry professionals I'd say that it is a very static and risk-averse job, too, which is the reason why I chose to go to trading instead.

chubbybunny:
what the heck is actuarial science? Is that another joke degree?

Are you serious? Actuarial science is one of the most difficult white collard professions out there. When my father was CFO of Kansas City Life his right-hand man was an actuary.

To the OP's questions, any employer who doesn't respect an actuarial science degree or a professional actuary is probably a dumb ass and has no business working in finance.

Array

Spoke with a buddy of mine for you OP who actually passed the first (an possibly second) level of the Actuarial exams. He said that just having passed the level one exam on his resume actually turned a few heads and got him some looks. He wasn't an actuarial science major though he was a math-finance-econ triple major at a semi-target. So if you're interested in it, you can major in Math and still take at least the first level and, at least in some ways, get the best of both worlds.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

But the OP is talking about an actuarial science DEGREE not the profession itself. I think OP if you're talking about getting an act sci DEGREE you might as well just get math or stats, I'm pretty sure people will view act sci and stats in exactly the same level. Only Math will get you viewed upon more highly.

When all is said and done: those who know, respect actuaries. But yes, the actuarial DEGREE is seen as something on par with agronomy or oenology or something like that -- too practical to have the snob appeal of a liberal arts major like math, physics or even stats.

what the heck? you say that Actaries are very well respected but then the Act Sci degree is viewed as a complete joke? Do you guys realize you are contradicting yourselves?

I guess based on your logic that Doctors are very well respected but the medical degree itself is a complete joke akin to that of agronomy or oenology. Yea?

chubbybunny and ivoteforthatguy you are both complete idiots. Someone other then petty college freshmen have insight on Act Sci degrees?

Well I have to say coming from a person who is working, and having friends in actuarial jobs. The degree itself is just a degree...(I think this is what the other two post is trying to say)... people on the street won't give you high marks for getting the degree, it's not like you got a PhD in math. However, once you passed all the test and become a real actuary, then people give you lot of respect for going through all that. You can't compare it to a MD for doctor, as they go through 4 more years + residency, while you are just UG even with an Actuarial science degree.

With that said, more people on the street give higher respect to a hardcore math major (doubling with something else) at UG level then that of act sci.

^We are trying to give you honest advice. Would you prefer that we lie to you?

You're going to have three views of actuaries on the street:

1. Don't know what it is. Won't respect it because it wasn't offered as a major at the targets so it must be a nonsense prole major.
  2. Know what it is but associates it with midwestern second tier colleges or AG colleges. Similar deal as #1.
  3. Know what it is, seen the exams and the failure rate of climbing to FAS fellowship, and respect it.

Category 3 is a tiny, tiny minority.

You are obviously very young and have yet to deal with the fact that there is snobbery in the world. Go to a Goldman happy hour and talk about your actuarial degree. Tell me how many brownie points that wins you.

Calm down, or at least wait for the hordes of guys on this thing to start posting and telling me that I am totally wrong.

I think math and finance is a better idea. Why try to brand yourself as an actuary if you have no intention on entering the field? Not to mention, almost all actuaries I know were math majors so you would have no problem becoming an actuary with the math/finance background.

Any particular reason you want to major in actuarial science? Easier workload?

Getting into Life Settlements?

Trading longevity risk?

********************************* “The American father is never seen in London. He passes his life entirely in Wall Street and communicates with his family once a month by means of a telegram in cipher.” - Oscar Wilde

I'm actually not planning to go into an actuarial career at all, I'm taking it to prove my quantitative abilities to future employers, so I was wondering how an actuarial science degree is perceived? Is it viewed as "just another complement" (ex. Accounting) or does it prove to the employer that the applicant is quantitative (like a math/engineering degree does).

As a sidenote, I'm planning to enter trading so this question specifically applies to trader recruiting, where quantitative abilities are valued.

Also would you perceive a double major in finance and actuarial science better than a double major in finance and statistics? Or would you view them as the same?

goingbrokeinNYC:
I'm actually not planning to go into an actuarial career at all, I'm taking it to prove my quantitative abilities to future employers, so I was wondering how an actuarial science degree is perceived? Is it viewed as "just another complement" (ex. Accounting) or does it prove to the employer that the applicant is quantitative (like a math/engineering degree does).

As a sidenote, I'm planning to enter trading so this question specifically applies to trader recruiting, where quantitative abilities are valued.

Also would you perceive a double major in finance and actuarial science better than a double major in finance and statistics? Or would you view them as the same?

I'm really having trouble understanding how you were coherent and with it enough to write this and not realize you answered your own question. " Prove that the applicant is quantitative (like math/engineering degree does)." Why not just do the math degree and remove all possible doubt about perception or whatever? It just makes sense. If you want to prove your quantiness just do math....don't over think things.

goingbrokeinNYC:

I know this is extremely late but I came across this thread and I am just wondering what you mean by "does it prove you are quantitative (math/engineering)?" The reason I ask is because I am considering a major in Actuarial Science, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science, however, I am not too sure if I would like to be an actuary. I would like to get into the tech side of finance though.

thank you.

Mps721

Like I have said, for trading go with math.

finance + statistics > finance + actuarial.

Actuarial isn't highly viewed upon in trading, it's not like you have an MFE. If you are serious about trading, and have high quant abilities math is the may to go, and minor in comp sci or double major it. And get yourself into a MFE program. I wouldn't even think about actuarial.

Wow finance/statistics is viewed better than finance/act sci?

Act sci is pretty much a stats/math major - i'd have thought that at the most, finance/stats would be viewed the same as finance/act sci but i didn't know finance/stats would be looked better upon...

Is statistics even considered a quantitative major?

Because Actuarial Science is much more intensive than a stats major but lesser intensive than a math major. Plus I can graduate half a semester early...

To get straight to the point, in terms of judging a resume for trading, how do you guys view it:

Math>Act Sci> Stats or Math > Stats > Act Sci or Math > Act Sci = Stats ?

I'd go Math > act sci = stats

I would certainly think that an Act sci degree would prove your quantitative abilities, so if act sci is what you want, definitely go for it. I also have a ton of respect for guys that can pass a couple of those actuarial exams. My brother (super smart guy, much smarter than me) was studying for it a while back... shit ain't easy. Not that I recommend anyone take the exams if you don't actually want to be an actuary though (it is a solid back-up however).

Toronto:
If I took the first actsci exam, can I use it as leverage to help show my quantitative ability in an interview?

Did you pass it or just take it? If you passed it then I would include it somewhere

First off most ppl do not 100% understand what an actuary is or what they do. Anyone in trading will look at you as changing your career path.

Actuaries have a very defined career path with exams, years experience and pay level. Actuaries do not get huge bonus' each year.

A.S is much harder than just plain statistics.

I think the OP is talking about getting a DEGREE in act sci, not about becoming an actuary. I guess in that sense Act Sci would be viewed as challenging? I don't think it'll be too difficult spinning how one's act sci degree (dealing with risks/probability) is related to some of the aspects of trading...

I have an undergrad degree in act sci/stat/econ. I didn't realize till late in school that I wanted to get into trading. On about the 15 interviews I had in chicago at the various prop shops the first question I was asked why am I not doing insurance. The SOA exams are very difficult, harder than CFA, FRM etc..So when ppl see you passed a few exams and now doing trading they think you cannot continue passing exams..

Stick with stat, math and finance and your set.

EarTotheStreet:
I have an undergrad degree in act sci/stat/econ. I didn't realize till late in school that I wanted to get into trading. On about the 15 interviews I had in chicago at the various prop shops the first question I was asked why am I not doing insurance. The SOA exams are very difficult, harder than CFA, FRM etc..So when ppl see you passed a few exams and now doing trading they think you cannot continue passing exams..

Stick with stat, math and finance and your set.

Thank you for the suggestion, and just wondering how ppl would think about a combo major in Math & Econ, my school have a degree called interdisiciplinary of Math & Econ. But aside I am also taking finance courses that could not become a major

Finance and Stat...I was about to go as a Finance and Act Sci into OCR, but you'd be surprised how many brokers and traders dont know what it is...the point of the interview is to sell yourself, not spend 15-20 min explaining how the major is more quant.

At my b-school we are offered stat as a major...the only difference between stat and act sci is that for stat you dont have to take calc I & II or linear algebra..everything else is the same..

Besides, stat is clearly a more natural transition into trading when you're analyzing data as opposed to math...at least my math courses were more physics focused

by transferring to another school + program ... math grads do make it into finance ... but won't be handed to you like it is to guys at targets in target programs (especially true for ibd positions). build connections through co-op/friends at other schools/profs/alumni/the career center and you stand a good shot! (my experience with this is canada-centric)

Beyond just networking with friends and going through recruiters, I think one of the more important things to keep in mind as you try to break into IBD/finance from other fields is starting small. If you target boutiques or smaller banks in your job search, they tend to be more willing to take a chance on people from other fields and career changers.

My friend who did this did pretty much this exact path - started out as an actuary, switched in by networking, talking to friends at banks, and ended up going to a boutique. Then he lateraled into a BB and is working at one of the top groups on the street now.

worst backup plan ever. better off doing f500 finance and getting experience in a particular industry. imagine having to take all those exams and doing boring work for insurance companies, or even worse working at an insurance company. your best bet would be working at an insurance focused FIG group if you were going to lateral. imagine working at FBR's FIG group.

get actual finance experience at a f500 in healthcare, technology, power, energy, consumer, industrials, etc. Your chances of lateraling into banking are much higher, and the work you will be doing would be somewhat more interesting. Needless to say you, will also be getting industry specific experience, which industry groups at investment banks (especially MM) love.

Best Response
OMS:
worst backup plan ever. better off doing f500 finance and getting experience in a particular industry. imagine having to take all those exams and doing boring work for insurance companies, or even worse working at an insurance company. your best bet would be working at an insurance focused FIG group if you were going to lateral. imagine working at FBR's FIG group.

get actual finance experience at a f500 in healthcare, technology, power, energy, consumer, industrials, etc. Your chances of lateraling into banking are much higher, and the work you will be doing would be somewhat more interesting. Needless to say you, will also be getting industry specific experience, which industry groups at investment banks (especially MM) love.

Seconded. Stick to CF is you can't land IB.

"Come at me, bro"- José de Palafox y Melci

I wouldn't try to lateral into banking if i was more than 25 years old. cant stand the thought of having to work with a bunch of recent grad dick wads (like myself). if you have more than 4 years of experience at a f500 if would be a better idea just to do an MBA or better yet transfer to a corporate development M&A team within the same company (or even a different f500) after a few years and work there for a couple more years and then do an MBA (have your company pay for it). it would set you up very well for post-mba associate or even PE or VC and you probably won't ever have to work the hours of the analysts.

I would lateral anywhere from 6 months to 2 years into banking from CF at a f500. Anything more than 2 years I'm pulling out my gmat prep book and will start writing my essays for MBA apps.

And yes, most people who lateral into banking start as a 1st year unless they have legit experience in IB/capital markets prior to that, in which case you might be promoted to a 2nd year a lot faster (as early as a few months). but it is safe to assume that you will come in as a 1st year analyst. It also really depends on the firm.

Actuarial Science Degrees and Actuaries are highly respected. Those who say they are not, clearly have not done enough research on the field to make that assessment. It should also be pointed out that there is a Corporate Finance/Enterprise Risk Management Track as well as a Quantitative/Investment Track for those seeking their FSA designation. So, the idea that becoming an Actuary means you are limited to the insurance industry is outdated and ignorant.

Voluptatem autem magni aut deleniti adipisci. Iusto repudiandae consequatur non ullam. Provident sequi sed dolores dolore porro omnis.

Culpa ut facilis neque culpa. Sequi qui eos consectetur error. Omnis expedita dolorum fugit dolore ea qui.

Soluta ratione laboriosam ad occaecati qui. Dolor excepturi quis consequatur nam placeat ratione. Nihil iste atque ducimus.

Vel debitis sit deleniti quo cumque consectetur. Ipsa aspernatur quis corporis repudiandae officia ipsam. Iste sed accusantium quaerat omnis reprehenderit quas vel.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

Excepturi alias quidem esse sapiente. Rerum eos voluptas cumque possimus voluptatem non dolores.

Est ratione sapiente voluptatem blanditiis. Ut mollitia magnam at inventore repellat excepturi dolorem. Dolor exercitationem velit facilis aut.

Sunt id dolores quod consequuntur qui molestias voluptatum. Libero alias commodi suscipit eum quibusdam. Temporibus doloremque incidunt commodi saepe et. Sit odio quasi non.

Excepturi quia illo consequuntur consectetur porro laboriosam veritatis. Id sit id minima aspernatur. Eum molestiae ducimus adipisci. Repellendus error quos qui odio nam pariatur sint. Cum omnis iusto aut eius ea dolores magnam. In maiores earum commodi. Dolore voluptates dignissimos in eos facilis soluta a.

Sapiente neque laudantium rerum et dolore. Tenetur est et enim dolorem quae laborum. Est vitae veniam perferendis voluptas sit. Distinctio similique harum voluptas dolorem nostrum.

Et nesciunt iusto deleniti veritatis. Sit blanditiis quos et aut officia nostrum quas.

Qui adipisci minima voluptas. Quos ex iure atque aut culpa odit. Nihil enim quae sit modi non perspiciatis in. Et laudantium sunt tenetur ipsa. Officiis et sequi et rerum et quia. Commodi sit a optio qui culpa est.

-- Recent Actuarial Science (good statistical skills) grad looking for entry-level work ANYWHERE. Writing CFA Level 1 in June 2010. Passed 3 actuarial exams.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”