Gift Ideas for Father - $1500

Hi everyone, I'm currently a sophomore. This summer I interned at a private equity firm and got my first ever paycheck.

I wanted to buy a gift for my father but have no idea what to get him. My budget is $1500. Please let me know any suggestions. Thank you!

Most Helpful

You could get a watch or something, but honestly, I say save your money. Get a nice dinner together and have a great time. Cover the tab and say “thanks for bringing me this far, you’ve given me everything I need to succeed in this internship and support myself today, and I love you from the bottom of my heart.” You’ll warm his heart until it’s hotter than the sun. Priceless… or perhaps at the price of some steak or lobster.

Yeah this. Say you have to go to the bathroom and get your card to the waiter secretly. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

When I was 18 in my first real job, my parents came to visit and we ate lunch at Subway. I finally had some cash to spend and bought lunch for the three of us. My dad was caught off guard and said “you didn’t have to do that.” Which is the typical response, but I never forgot that moment and his unexpected reaction on just a simple act of kindness.

Another time years later I was in college, my Dad fronted me a bunch of money for tuition and travel expenses to study abroad in China. I was in the honors school and they ended up paying for the whole trip and cutting me a check for $6.4K. I came home one night and said ‘here’s your money back,’ and again he was like “keep it.” But I refused and it really meant a lot to him at the time. 

I’m not implying anyone was hurting for money, but it’s all about the ‘gesture.’

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

That's actually a great idea, thanks for mentioning it. Also you mentioned watches. If I decide to go for watches - which would you recommend in my price range?

Lmao imagine spending $1500 for a fucking gift even $50 would be painful for me

thats what loving your parents is like, seems like you can’t relate

Hey man, sorry to hear about your loss. You seem like a good person judging by your comment so I'm sure your father must've been proud of you.

Try to get him something that he's mentioned interest in but never pulled the trigger on himself. Something that could develop into a consistent hobby for him. Wish I could give an example, but I'm also trying to figure out what that is for my dad

Array

Getting a gift to your dad is really nice of you to do. This is special as this first pay cheque probably means a lot to you in relation to all the hard work you’ve put in to date to achieve it, and how much it means to you to share that with someone who has been there for you along the way - your dad. My suggestion to you would be very biased, as my dad passed away very early in my career.  Never had the chance to really see the reward of hard work paying off and sharing that special moment. Sure, my savings have grown, who cares, really? $1,500 would have meant a lot when I was younger vs. today. A lot of people will tell you to do the right thing, the logical thing, and obviously rational thing, which is to save & grow it. What does money mean anyway? What does $1,500 mean to you? And what does and will that gift from you to your dad mean to you? I think these are all important questions that only you can answer.

As for gift idea, maybe something that serves as a bond between you and your dad. Could be a tech gadget, could be a bottle of whiskey, could be golf set, could be a trip somewhere. It doesn’t matter what it is as long as what you wanted to say with gesture gets to your dad. I’m so happy for you man. World needs more people like you.

VP

[Comment removed by mod team]

Taking him out to a game for a team you both like, and/or buying him a nice dinner is a gesture your father would surely appreciate. For me and my dad, we both share a love for whisky, so as gifts for christmas/birthdays/thank-yous etc.. I get him a bottle of whisky (doesn't have to be expensive either, plenty of great choices around the $50-$75 mark) that have a unique sentiment or story he can remember when he is having some. 

I'm so loving the gift you want to give your dad as I love mine and owe so much to him (grew up poor with him and my mom but he never made it feel that way once). But I really think an experience here is the way to go. Treat him to a great dinner or a trip so you guys can create a memory to hold on to - know that's cheesy af. But doing something like that will allow you to spend time with him while showing gratitude. Good on you man

Rerum eaque repellendus saepe molestiae. Est officiis ullam inventore consequatur dolor consequatur esse blanditiis. A voluptate dolores voluptates voluptas et aliquid quia. Facilis cupiditate nisi accusamus quo ea eius.

Ut aut aut sed et harum cupiditate. Possimus velit repellendus dolores itaque minima. Et corporis cum repellendus porro. Consectetur consequatur praesentium sunt nulla perspiciatis provident.

Excepturi aliquam itaque libero earum voluptatum. Natus ea ducimus labore praesentium voluptas dolorem. Deleniti dignissimos natus at ad et numquam ex. Sit quibusdam nesciunt libero repudiandae nihil dolor recusandae neque. Corrupti occaecati saepe rerum nam. Dolor debitis eaque officiis.

Inventore molestiae possimus harum et ex facere. Delectus qui hic dolores. A delectus nemo perferendis ut voluptatem quisquam.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”