GMAT 670 - should I retake?

Hello everybody!

Just took my GMAT exam, got 670 and now I am rather disappointed (managed to pull off 730 in mock exam just yesterday). I sent my results to the following schools (aiming for the MiF):

• Bocconi
  • St Gallen
  • WHU
  • WU Vienna
  • Frankfurt School of Finance

Will such a score be enough (at least for some of those - not all, obviously) or should I retake? And if I do need to retake, should I cancel the score while I can?

Here is my profile:

• I am 21
  • I have Russian citizenship
  • I will get my Bachelor in Business Analytics in June 2021, the university is decent by Russian standards (semi-target for banks and MBB nationally) but almost unknown internationally
  • GPA: 3.4/4 right now
  • 2 internships: 1 in marketing, 1 in strategy, both well known multinational companies, 11 months total
  • Some case club achievements: reached finals in a couple of national competitions as a team leader
  • TOEFL: 110/120
  • Know a little bit of German, probably enough to get to C1/C2 in a year or two

It‘s definitely a decent school and they place well into Frankfurt IB but I‘m afraid that doesn‘t make sense for you. I have never seen a non-native in a German IB office. You would have to drastically improve your German to have a chance. They don‘t really place well into London IB though so the other European options would make more sense imo.

Thank you very much for the information! I do believe that I will have fluent German in 3 years (1 year to finish my Bachelor's and 2 years of Master's, if in Frankfurt), but it seems that I should be cautious about Germany then.

Perhaps you can name a few European programs with better London placement? Or you just meant the ones from my list (Bocconi, St Gallen, WU)? I feel like I will have to retake the GMAT for those.

Yeah, official guides and Manhattan Prep should be enough. I just read all the materials and did perhaps a dozen of GMAT Official Practice mock exams. There are only 6 of those, but I did some of them a few times (you forget most of the questions in a week or so anyway).

Some luck was probably involved - my mock scores were mostly in a 710-730 range, including the one I got in the morning before the actual exam.

Most Helpful

Hello everybody!

Just took my GMAT exam, got 670 and now I am rather disappointed (managed to pull off 730 in mock exam just yesterday). I sent my results to the following schools (aiming for the MiF):

• Bocconi
  • St Gallen
  • WHU
  • WU Vienna
  • Frankfurt School of Finance

Will such a score be enough (at least for some of those - not all, obviously) or should I retake? And if I do need to retake, should I cancel the score while I can?

Here is my profile:

• I am 21
  • I have Russian citizenship
  • I will get my Bachelor in Business Analytics in June 2021, the university is decent by Russian standards (semi-target for banks and MBB nationally) but almost unknown internationally
  • GPA: 3.4/4 right now
  • 2 internships: 1 in marketing, 1 in strategy, both well known multinational companies, 11 months total
  • Some case club achievements: reached finals in a couple of national competitions as a team leader
  • TOEFL: 110/120
  • Know a little bit of German, probably enough to get to C1/C2 in a year or two

enough for the last three. You probably won't get in at Bocconi and St gallen

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”