GMAT 670 - should I retake?

Hello everybody!

Just took my GMAT exam, got 670 and now I am rather disappointed (managed to pull off 730 in mock exam just yesterday). I sent my results to the following schools (aiming for the MiF):

• Bocconi
  • St Gallen
  • WHU
  • WU Vienna
  • Frankfurt School of Finance

Will such a score be enough (at least for some of those - not all, obviously) or should I retake? And if I do need to retake, should I cancel the score while I can?

Here is my profile:

• I am 21
  • I have Russian citizenship
  • I will get my Bachelor in Business Analytics in June 2021, the university is decent by Russian standards (semi-target for banks and MBB nationally) but almost unknown internationally
  • GPA: 3.4/4 right now
  • 2 internships: 1 in marketing, 1 in strategy, both well known multinational companies, 11 months total
  • Some case club achievements: reached finals in a couple of national competitions as a team leader
  • TOEFL: 110/120
  • Know a little bit of German, probably enough to get to C1/C2 in a year or two

Comments (17)

• Intern in IB - Gen
Sep 10, 2020 - 9:30am

Frankfurt school shoudln't be a problem there intake increases every year. They are struggling a bit financially because of the new campus they built

Sep 10, 2020 - 9:37am

Frankfurt was a safe option, yeah. But I didn't know about financial difficulties. Would you say it is still a decent school or not very much so?

• Business School in IB-M&A
Feb 11, 2021 - 8:14am

Decent enough but not upto the mark of WHU or Manheim in Germany. these 2 are the most prestigious ones there could be in DACH region. Also can consider HHL.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Sep 10, 2020 - 9:41am

It's definitely a decent school and they place well into Frankfurt IB but I'm afraid that doesn't make sense for you. I have never seen a non-native in a German IB office. You would have to drastically improve your German to have a chance. They don't really place well into London IB though so the other European options would make more sense imo.

Sep 10, 2020 - 10:24am

Thank you very much for the information! I do believe that I will have fluent German in 3 years (1 year to finish my Bachelor's and 2 years of Master's, if in Frankfurt), but it seems that I should be cautious about Germany then.

Perhaps you can name a few European programs with better London placement? Or you just meant the ones from my list (Bocconi, St Gallen, WU)? I feel like I will have to retake the GMAT for those.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Sep 11, 2020 - 1:48am

I would probably go for Bocconi and HSG. WHU places well into London IB out of the undergrad program, not sure for the masters. WU Vienna is a really large university so they place some people into IB but relative to the amount of students it's not that great.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Sep 11, 2020 - 1:50am

He should be fine for the Accounting & Finance Master but you can forget about the banking and finance Master with a 670 GMAT..

• Analyst 2 in IB-M&A
Sep 26, 2020 - 6:55pm

Jeez congrats man, any tips for prep? Official guides and Manhattan Prep are enough?

Most Helpful
Sep 26, 2020 - 8:09pm

Yeah, official guides and Manhattan Prep should be enough. I just read all the materials and did perhaps a dozen of GMAT Official Practice mock exams. There are only 6 of those, but I did some of them a few times (you forget most of the questions in a week or so anyway).

Some luck was probably involved - my mock scores were mostly in a 710-730 range, including the one I got in the morning before the actual exam.

Sep 26, 2020 - 8:02pm

Hello everybody!

Just took my GMAT exam, got 670 and now I am rather disappointed (managed to pull off 730 in mock exam just yesterday). I sent my results to the following schools (aiming for the MiF):

• Bocconi
  • St Gallen
  • WHU
  • WU Vienna
  • Frankfurt School of Finance

Will such a score be enough (at least for some of those - not all, obviously) or should I retake? And if I do need to retake, should I cancel the score while I can?

Here is my profile:

• I am 21
  • I have Russian citizenship
  • I will get my Bachelor in Business Analytics in June 2021, the university is decent by Russian standards (semi-target for banks and MBB nationally) but almost unknown internationally
  • GPA: 3.4/4 right now
  • 2 internships: 1 in marketing, 1 in strategy, both well known multinational companies, 11 months total
  • Some case club achievements: reached finals in a couple of national competitions as a team leader
  • TOEFL: 110/120
  • Know a little bit of German, probably enough to get to C1/C2 in a year or two

enough for the last three. You probably won't get in at Bocconi and St gallen

Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

HELP: Sticky Situation with Boss
+156OFFby 2nd Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Analyst 2 in IB-M&A
Arranged Marriage
+41OFFby Intern in Real Estate - Commercial">Intern in RE - Comm
Ask a girl
+38OFFby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Generalist">Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
tipping point - mental breakdown
+33IBby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Industry/Coverage">Analyst 1 in IB - Ind
To Snitch or not to Snitch?
+32OFFby 2nd Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Industry/Coverage">Analyst 2 in IB - Ind
Would you date a girl without a college degree?
+31OFFby Intern in Consulting">Intern in Consulting
Caught relaxed vibing to music by my MD
+17OFFby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Corporate Banking">Analyst 1 in IB - CB

Total Avg Compensation

March 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (31) $349
  • Associates (168) $231
  • 2nd Year Analyst (98) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (93) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (23) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (371) $131
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (308) $82

Leaderboard See all

LonLonMilk's picture