WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (484)

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 17, 2020 - 12:59am

Same here, had a direct rec from one as well I'm so confused

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Jul 20, 2020 - 11:38pm

Yo will you help me understand why everyone is tweakin out abt not getting a HV? It says on their website that the deadline is Nov 20 and they aim to let everyone know by Dec 20. Wouldn't this mean that you and everyone else still have a shot? Is there another deadline I don't know about? What am I missing here

Jul 16, 2020 - 7:19pm

Who grades these. Are they the alumni group or the groups you applied for or other?

path less traveled

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Jul 18, 2020 - 1:15pm

Combination of both - for targets, alumni bankers are highly involved and send HCM a list that pretty much gets pushed through. For non targets it's much more HCM directed.

Jul 16, 2020 - 7:29pm

I can speak for myself. I spoke with 2 VP and 2 Analysts. both convos with the VP's were interview-like

Array
  • Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 7:45pm

I heard the opposite. Maybe some "what do you think about the current state of the markets" but nothing actually technical.

Hopefully someone can confirm

Jul 18, 2020 - 9:21pm

Hey! Hope you are doing amazing! I was just wondering if you could be so kind to tell me the GS NY IBD questions for Summer Analyst 2021. I would really appreciate it! Happy to help in any way that I can too :)

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 7:52pm

Got a hirevue, semi-target for NY but target for SF. No networking, but good internships/extracurriculars. Is this hirevue really going to be technical? I really though GS hirevues were typically non-technical

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:04pm

did you participate in any of the diversity programs? from my understanding I thought GS only gave hirevues to people who participated in diversity programs or had referrals through networking

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:25pm

It's not. 4-5 behavioral questions with detailed scenarios. 1 try to answer. 1 IB specific question. If you applied to other divisions and this is your first Hirevue, expect division specific questions on those too.

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 11:50pm

Were the behaviorals more like "Tell me about a time..." or were they situationals "You are in a team and. ...what do you do"?

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 7:57pm

i applied for 3 different locations (NY, SF, CHI) – I got only NYC and see that NYC has been the only IBD location released. However, is there any chance we would receive additional hirevues for the other two applications?

Controversial
  • Intern in IB-M&A
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:03pm

Just did the interview:

I cant remember all of them, but pretty standard:

1) Why GS
2) Why Banking
3) Why is a liquidation model relevant during markets right now?
4) Are you a leader or a team member and why?
5) What are markets doing right now?

Jul 18, 2020 - 9:23pm

Hey! Hope you are doing amazing! I was just wondering if you could be so kind to tell me the GS NY IBD questions for Summer Analyst 2021. I would really appreciate it! Happy to help in any way that I can too :)

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:08pm

I don't even think they've sent out the links to the actual hirevues yet lol, was this for IBD?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:50pm

This guy gets it. We are only competing against our school candidates, so thanks!

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 10:05pm

why is this dude getting MS? I have heard as well (at least for semi-targets and targets) that we are competing with other candidates in our school?

Jul 16, 2020 - 8:12pm

edited this - i think it wasnt too selective. this was the first hurdle so b proud if u got it, but its definitely harder to go hirevue->superday

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:18pm

this just seems false - maybe it was true for prior years, but it seems like majority of people got it for NYC IBD this year

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:22pm

a couple people commented that they went to non-targets, didn't network, had no relevant experience, and didnt participate in any diversity programs. I initially heard that GS only gives hirevues to ppl who have their resume flagged by a referral or diversity program, so this just seems odd to me this year

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:23pm

just beyond that, I haven't seen more than 1-2 posts that say they didn't get a hirevue which is also different from previous years

• Prospect in Other
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:26pm

yeah I'm hoping it was selective- I also participated in virtual insight and networked with alumni so I'm hoping that we're in a much smaller pool of candidates now

Jul 17, 2020 - 1:05am

No way the majority of NYC IBD received the HireVue.
1) They get tens of thousands of apps for that position alone, no way they're gonna watch anywhere close to that many HireVues.
2) They would have taken the JPM approach where they give it to you within a few days.

Array

Jul 18, 2020 - 9:41am

that's facts. but your hirevue will be graded by a school team of alumni and if you go to a really small non-target with no alums, they'll send your app to another small committee of unbiased reviewers. so it might not be that hard to get through tons of hirevues. definitely not tens of thousands tho.

Jul 18, 2020 - 3:25pm

Yeah, I could definitely see them sending it to a couple thousand people, but even that is a large time commitment. Most of them are probably going ot the super targets, the second most are probably going to more regular targets, and then a minority of them is probably going to kids from non-targets.

Array

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:43pm

Like as in a couple mins ago or you didn't see it was in your inbox from a couple hours ago

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:47pm

I think almost everyone gets a HireVue. I'm at a nontarget, talked to like 2 people but doubt they flagged my resume and I got a HireVue

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 8:53pm

GPA? What's your work experience and extra-curriculars like? People have said it's selective in the past

Jul 16, 2020 - 9:18pm

3.7 gpa, target, non-diversity, networked with 2 alumni, attended all on-campus events

Array

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 9:44pm

3.95/4.0, target, two IB internships – I've heavily networked and many of those I spoke to internally said that while getting the hirevue was selective, the largest cut is hirevue –> superday. Be glad with the hirevue, but know that it is still extremely competitive and we've only gone through the smaller cut in the process.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jul 16, 2020 - 10:54pm

In years past sophomore recruiting is done after junior recruiting so you shouldn't freak out just yet. Sounds like you're set to be honest so good job.

Jul 17, 2020 - 1:11am

I can confirm that sophomore recruiting is done after junior recruiting.

Array

Jul 17, 2020 - 3:44am

is super target HW?

Array
Jul 19, 2020 - 9:36am

was there a submit button at the end for you? cant remember if i needed to submit after finishing the hirevue

path less traveled

Jul 16, 2020 - 10:33pm

how do u guys know it is for ibd?? did you check the portal and it said ibd is reviewing your application? my email only says "interview with goldman sachs"

Array

Jul 16, 2020 - 11:32pm

i got hirevue earlier this week, the portal said gir is reviewing my application and ibd is application received, but the questions were all ibd... does it mean I got ibd hirevue?

Array

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 17, 2020 - 12:04am

it isnt over until you get a rejection. Get in referrals and have people bat for you to get your app moving...

Jul 17, 2020 - 6:42pm

I still haven't been officially rejected for the SA2020 class...

Array

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 17, 2020 - 12:53am

Go to a Semi Target with really solid ECs (including 4 internships, HF/PE/IB/AM), Good GPA, and networked with a VP in CIMD (among other analysts in IBD) who specifically mentioned he highly recommended me but didn't end up getting a hirevue. Rip.

Safe to assume multiple waves? or anyone know if it's one and done? Would suck if I grinded only to not even get a hirevue

Jul 17, 2020 - 1:09am

Either you are exaggerating about your credentials or it's just really tough to break in even at a semi-target. If you're not exaggerating, then that's definitely a bummer.

Array

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 17, 2020 - 1:14am

The messed up thing is I'm underselling and I'm definitely not trolling. My semi-target is still top 20 US News and we have kids at GS just not as much as HYP+

Jul 17, 2020 - 3:22am

Et reiciendis doloribus adipisci modi sunt. Totam quam labore placeat itaque doloremque perspiciatis dolorum. Optio dolore ut commodi ipsum placeat consequuntur. Nesciunt provident pariatur rem. Repellat unde ab ut molestiae ut ea.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jul 17, 2020 - 10:01am

Id quas dolorem aut est adipisci doloribus sunt. Alias dolore nesciunt voluptas perferendis culpa. Rerum qui officiis unde non ut eos quo. Voluptas molestias reprehenderit maxime molestiae voluptates et. Quia maxime ipsam quisquam rerum.

Illum fugiat sint pariatur consequuntur. Pariatur quod quae illo et delectus. Blanditiis et maiores error recusandae nobis totam consequatur aut.

Modi debitis eos consequatur quia aperiam commodi. Quia sint minima rem accusamus distinctio consequatur. Sequi nemo pariatur numquam. Vitae aperiam aut rerum aut asperiores architecto.

Jul 17, 2020 - 12:55am

Et commodi quam totam qui consequatur in voluptatem. Ex laboriosam velit totam aliquam. Aut distinctio impedit consequatur eos natus. Aut explicabo voluptates explicabo iure omnis natus nobis dicta.

Suscipit dolor similique et maxime voluptatem. Aut libero quo est reiciendis velit. Tempora nemo quidem sunt eligendi.

Saepe saepe atque quia eum deleniti neque ullam. Molestias dolorum temporibus cum voluptatum. Sunt hic soluta numquam ea quasi ut corrupti temporibus. Maxime consequatur ad necessitatibus iure quod.

Voluptatem rerum enim cumque explicabo. Inventore quia sint inventore laborum labore sint molestias. Nihil voluptas deserunt suscipit at qui. Est ad quia et dolore dolorem a non.

Jul 17, 2020 - 12:59am

Ea velit quos voluptatem quis ut dolorem illum dolore. Quam alias velit facilis labore vel. Voluptatem nihil ut repellendus nihil debitis. Eum ipsum necessitatibus consectetur amet ea. Molestias qui quas facere necessitatibus iure.

Et et quis velit nobis aut. Sed repudiandae eius harum soluta. Inventore dolorem quisquam nisi et placeat ducimus. Molestias molestiae dolores id blanditiis omnis aut. Sunt explicabo eos quod eum quo veritatis fuga.

Quisquam accusamus ratione quas sit voluptas tenetur laborum. Autem quis ut qui eum nam. Fuga ea corrupti iste ipsum dignissimos rerum et. Dolorem eligendi aut corrupti libero pariatur. Eligendi quidem consequuntur impedit soluta laborum voluptas non delectus.

Odio reiciendis magni ex illo reiciendis. Quas illum porro fugiat facilis odit in consectetur. Rem et assumenda minus dolores. Quisquam voluptatum et sequi quis vitae a animi. Enim omnis enim sed consectetur.

Jul 19, 2020 - 12:22am

Atque ut quia autem ad aut. Dolorum facere aut accusamus sit facere enim culpa. Unde aut alias ipsum facilis ut blanditiis.

Et ipsum sed ut expedita ratione nam esse. Nostrum molestiae placeat quis temporibus et eveniet. Eum ut deleniti excepturi blanditiis accusantium sunt quasi non. Totam dolor quia aspernatur repellendus placeat nisi.

• Intern in IB-M&A
Jul 17, 2020 - 10:53am

Consequatur sapiente totam ducimus beatae perspiciatis corrupti harum. In alias eaque laborum natus. Qui sunt laudantium eaque sit maiores quo.

Consectetur nisi sed doloremque est. Assumenda labore tempore ut minima aut fugiat non similique.

Consequatur non quaerat porro. Voluptatibus ut consectetur sit voluptatem consequatur. Voluptatem deleniti quasi possimus ea. Voluptatem incidunt et eius quidem at architecto.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

October 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (39) $363
  • Associates (229) $233
  • 2nd Year Analyst (139) $155
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (32) $149
  • Intern/Summer Associate (104) $143
  • 1st Year Analyst (504) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (387) $83