GS 2018 Superday

Hi all, I just completed a superday for GS IBD Classic 2018 Summer Analyst program, so I figured I would create this post to help out those who will have superdays with them this summer in the future.

Here was the breakdown -

1.5 hours in length (they're very short now)
3 Interviews - Some will have 2 people

Content -

DO NOT memorize technicals. Their interviews are largely behavioral and strategic thinking. I promise. This is as recent as it gets.

First interview -

Will be conceptual / situational questions based around what you have indicated you know on your resume (valuation, anything). Just know whatever you have on your resume in and out, and come in with fresh sleep. That's your best bet. I was on extremely low sleep (Worst decision of my life).

Second Interview - Questions:

They will ask you to discuss your S&W through internships, projects, and clubs you have indicated on your resume. Another question they asked - What specifically about the work you know you will be doing as an analyst excites you?

Third interview -

Understand a brief overview of the valuation methodologies. They don't expect you to know that much since they teach you during the internship.
Then, all situationals - i.e. If a PPT your MD was about to present to a client had a mistake in it, what would you do? If you were given too many tasks at once by your analyst/VP/etc. what would you do?

Key for these: informational interviews with actual analysts, and ask them about these questions.

Lastly - Have great questions to ask them, they always allow room for questions. Also, every interview has the tell me about yourself. Most important question by far.

Hope this helps. Good luck fellow chimps!

Yeah I believe they have mainly been for non-targets. I did see 2 target school kids in our group of 10 though. Your friend must've been in the same group as me. They pick one student from each non-target they have solid connections with for an accelerated superday. Not sure how the target school process works

if you only had the morning round, youre rejected. if you had that and the afternoon round, candidates who get offers will hear within a day or two. they'll push off to tell no's and hold's (expected to be all no's in this cycle given close to 100% acceptance rate, at least according to a friend in GS IBD who is heavily involved in recruiting) until a few days later

you only had to do those AFTER you had been selected to interview. i had a coffee chat with a recruiter on campus a couple of months ago and received an email in may saying i had been selected to interview. i was then invited to "apply" to the division that i was interviewing with as well as any other divisions that i may be interested for during the regular recruitment cycle

ok good because i know they didn't send a rejection email after 1st rounds but if i didn't get it i just want to know for sure so i can move on and get it out of my head

Every question was fit / behavioral all resume based and very focused about leadership and team work. I wasn't interviewing with the Veterans program though because i'm not a veteran. But it was 3 2:1's very conversational each about 30min in Jersey CIty

could anyone who's gone through the GS non-target superday shed some light on how they landed the interview? Don't think my school has any accelerated superdays but trying to see if there is a way around this to get involved in the accelerated processes

You have to be considered one of the top of your class (Can be demonstrated through being the president of a club, GPA, other exclusive on-campus programs) and have significant internship experience (I am going into my fourth IB/PE internship this upcoming summer). Then, you have to network to find who can help you get your foot in the door. Speak to anyone and everyone; you'd be surprised at the introductions you'll get from random people. Hope this helps

You may have been mistaken in your thought that it was a final round. Not your fault, as the second round of several interviews is what's generally considered the "final round" for the SA process in the US. I know friends who are going through the recruiting process for foreign GS offices have had many interviews and phone calls over several rounds where they too thought they had aced the last interview, only to be told they had simply advanced to another phone call/video chat. These regional offices are smaller than NY, so HR and the bankers very much want to ensure (read: make you jump through hoops) that you are an adequate fit both culturally and technically.

Getting a personal note from an analyst in the context you described is certainly a positive.

Source: Friends going through overseas GS recruiting

thank you for your reply mountainvalley ! I've had three phone interviews and the person from HR had sent me an invitation to Goldman Sachs asia superday interview (as said in the email), which I had just a few days ago via a video conference... would that still be considered a second round phone interview? because after the interview the person from HR told me that the result for the final round would be out in two weeks..- and then I got an email from my 'buddy'...just a little confused as to where I stand right now...

minjung12345:
thank you for your reply mountainvalley ! I've had three phone interviews and the person from HR had sent me an invitation to Goldman Sachs asia superday interview (as said in the email), which I had just a few days ago via a video conference... would that still be considered a second round phone interview? because after the interview the person from HR told me that the result for the final round would be out in two weeks..- and then I got an email from my 'buddy'...just a little confused as to where I stand right now...

Hello

3 video conference is the final round for GS asia offices, you received an email from a "buddy" because she sent you a delayed email, as she has multiple candidates to contact.

The normal process should've followed as if you hear from your buddy first, before your final round, but I guess they just scheduled you early.

On a separate note, do you mind telling us what kind of questions were you asked in your final round?

thanks

minjung12345:
Hello everyone- I recently had my final round interview with the Securities division of gs (a video conference where I spoke with professionals from the Singapore office). The very next day, I received an email from an analyst from the Japan office, telling me that she will be my buddy for the remainder of the interview process. She said she would answer any questions I had with gs, the interview process, or the summer internship experience, as I prepare for my final interviews.

The odd thing is I received this email the very next day of my final round interview, but it seemed as though the analyst from the Japan office was speaking to me as if I have yet to take a final interview.

Is it generally a good sign to get an email from an analyst saying that she would be my buddy for the remainder of the interview process? Has anyone been in my shoes before? any insight would be great. Thanks so much.

dude was your conference on the 14th?

Don't worry too much about it just yet. Sometimes, you can get an offer the same day & sometimes it can take anywhere from three days to two months for them to get back to you. Don't make yourself crazy. When did you apply? When did you do your HireVue interview? When did they get back to you after the HireVue interview and invite you to the superday?

Some GS offices also include situational behavioral questions. Almost like a mini case "if this happens, what would you do? How would you manage the different parties in this situation?, etc", instead of a straight up "tell me about a time you managed stress", which we all know you can BS through. The question just gets flipped to give you the situation to see how you handle the stress in that instance, how you look at things from a broader perspective, and if you have an ethical and moral lens.

Other questions include "Tell me how you plan out xxxx assignment over these 4 days, and tell me when you would have it on your direct reports desk". These questions give insight into planning and whether or not you consider other people's time. You'd want to include rolling over older, existing PPTs/Models to save time if they have them on file, asking other coverage groups for information if you have a certain question pertaining to that industry, rather than taking 24 hours to learn an industry from scratch and burn out; and giving the direct report a full day to review, along with considering the markups you'll have to do within the timeline as well. As you can see, 4 days gives you about 2.5 days to do the actual work with the rest being structuring the assignment, waiting for feedback, and markups

brainteasers often come up too.

pedaltodaflo:
is this for the accelerated process?

More likely the candidates that are not name Harvard and Wharton.

How many spots are open? Judging from the way they scheduled our interviews, there must have been at least 50+ people today....

what are reasons for these early interviews? Is it usually for summer interns who received offers at other firms? Or are people who just applied through the normal process given a chance at these early interviews as well?

KB24TD21:
Connections is what I've heard from Seniors I know who went. They knew someone who threw a resume towards HR or a connection who pulled through. One guy who summered in JP had his MD in JP who had connections in GS recommend him there cause the MD thought it was a better culture fit

I find this very very hard to believe, actually...

hey I got a SF hirevue beginning of this month, havent heard back but i've heard people receiving offers from them, guess at this point if you dont hear anything for hirevue/superdays probly better to look somewhere else

That;s interesting. Did they actually contact you before the superday?

Also, did anyone know why GS GIR is having such a late recruitment? New demand, etc? They recently contacted me and I had a phone interview over spring break.

Ducimus autem doloribus voluptate consequatur est fugiat a eos. Ut eum sunt consequatur est doloremque.

Porro fuga distinctio velit similique alias aperiam sint. Assumenda enim dolorum consequatur et. Ut maiores occaecati explicabo qui blanditiis alias.

Nihil fugit et ex inventore aut. Quod omnis dicta provident.

Corporis sed voluptatem sint harum. Ipsum exercitationem consequuntur consequatur velit. Corrupti veritatis molestiae tenetur.

Quam quo autem aut voluptas ea maiores nihil. Sint dignissimos minus sed distinctio tenetur ut temporibus. In architecto nostrum consectetur a.

Consequuntur quia officiis rerum ut. Dolores voluptate voluptatem qui iusto nesciunt itaque cum. Necessitatibus omnis sequi eum cupiditate accusamus repudiandae. Totam eos earum architecto neque sit maxime. Nesciunt unde qui porro sunt placeat. Reiciendis ipsa dolorem vitae suscipit sed et. Dolore earum quaerat aliquid et.

Quae culpa nisi doloribus officiis fuga et ut quaerat. Repellendus possimus adipisci ducimus soluta voluptatum amet quia. Voluptates quo explicabo aut ipsam inventore omnis. Qui consectetur quia qui nobis asperiores saepe repellat. Modi rerum possimus voluptas quo. Ut mollitia quibusdam at quos veritatis et rerum. Dolorem iste aut dolor sunt.

Debitis ut odio id similique distinctio eos quo. At debitis ut dolorem dicta fugit. Nemo maxime sint qui impedit quam eos. Ad perferendis ea sunt optio iste repellat eaque.

Amet sed rerum autem eaque voluptas laborum. Libero molestiae ea officia aliquam est velit. In consequuntur est qui voluptatem saepe enim. Ut expedita voluptatum vitae sed ad suscipit. Omnis et incidunt qui quas quia asperiores qui quae.

Iure accusamus consequuntur harum sint voluptatum aperiam esse consequatur. Dolorum qui quia qui architecto atque ut repellat possimus. Vel ut natus officiis rerum. Vel doloribus omnis optio fugiat.

Repellendus voluptatem quam dolore necessitatibus. Soluta asperiores recusandae voluptas vitae. Qui qui illum corporis possimus possimus. Sit hic esse repellat perferendis quae at consectetur.

Beatae iste neque ut facere. Corrupti eos totam qui nihil et pariatur. Ipsa incidunt est ab sapiente. Quia mollitia recusandae sit quasi rerum error recusandae.

Qui laborum temporibus ea provident. Voluptates consequatur reiciendis et vero debitis tempora. Corporis est fugiat quis earum. Veniam tempora quo qui neque consequatur distinctio.

Ea temporibus quia est voluptatibus quia nulla. Possimus placeat vel a iure laudantium. Voluptatem saepe tempora ratione officiis nulla deleniti veniam. Ut fugit ea officia aut unde. Pariatur cumque cupiditate adipisci. Suscipit tempora tempora quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”