Golfer Matt Kuchar wins $1.3 mil and pays his caddie $5000

The normal caddie couldn't be there, so Kuchar found a local (Mexico) caddie to fill in. Kuchar agreed to pay the local caddie up to $4,000, but ended up paying him $1,000 more than agreed upon. Kuchar's normal caddie would have made $130,000 if he was there instead of the fill in.

“For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week,” Kuchar said.

What do you all think about this situation?

Generally think this is fine and wildly off topic. I’d guess that the reason for his normal caddy being paid more than a random guy he met days ago is that his normal caddy has spent 100s, maybe 1,000s, of hours with him during practice rounds and on the range. The caddies do not seem directly comparable to me. I would not be surprised if he gave his normal caddy more than 5k even though he missed the event.

Pretty damn cheap if you ask me, although a deal was agreed upon.

A deal should be a deal and shouldn't be aired in the press after the fact because you got a raw one.

Kuchar should also be a much better tipper and be a little more intelligent (or just sound less out of touch) with his quotes to the media. Imagine if he threw the guy $20k from his winnings - it wouldn't be a story at all and he wouldn't even notice.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

assuming they both agreed upon it beforehand, then a deal is a deal. caddie shouldn't have agreed if he didn't think it was fair value.

that's like an analyst agreeing to a job, then asking the hiring manager for $40k bump in salary after finding out what the other analysts make.

famejranc:
The normal caddie couldn't be there, so Kuchar found a local (Mexico) caddie to fill in.

What do you all think about this situation?

What does the caddie's nationality have anything to do with this!?

Your title pisses me off. How does someone's income have anything to do with the amount paid for a service. If an apple is worth .50c in the market should I pay 26x more just because I'm wealthy? If the caddie accepted that amount its because he was better off getting $5000 than not getting anything at all.

The caddie helped him win $1.3 million, right? I don't know too much about golf, which is part of why I asked the question, but wouldn't a local caddie's knowledge of the course contribute to a golfer's success? Of course it's legal to just pay him what you said you would pay him, but is it ethical?

Short answer, yes his caddie helped him. The argument could be made that even helping Kuch on one stroke throughout the four days is worth much, much more than the 5k he got (regardless of the fact that he won by 4). Caddies are a huge help, and having the local course knowledge definitely didn't hurt (assuming he was from the specific course).

Better answer though, they agreed on a price for his services, and complaining after the tournament was over that he felt he was underpaid is lame.

They agreed on $4k for finishing in the top 10, so Kuch actually gave him a $1k extra than their agreement said he had to. Obviously not the main issue here but it's not like Kuch was trying to stick it to this guy

Before the tournament they agreed that he would be paid $3,000 plus "an unspecified percentage of his winnings." I don't think the caddy was wrong here to be expecting more than 0.3% of the winnings when the standard is 10%. As a fill-in I certainly don't think he should have expected the 10% rate but damn, 2-4% or $25-50k would have been more than fair. $5k is just being a cheap asshole.

There must be a caddie caste system I'm not aware of.

White Caddie - Specific % of winnings. Asian Caddie - Smaller % of winnings. Mexican Caddie - $4k check. Black Caddie - $500 straight cash.

DickFuld:
$5k to carry around a golf bag seems like a lot to me. I thought this was going to be a story about what a generous guy Kuchar was.

Carrying around a golf bag is an extremely simplistic definition of a professional caddy's job.

Array

Sapiente porro et voluptas voluptas voluptatibus rerum. Dignissimos sed sapiente et minus hic repellendus.

Facere praesentium autem consequatur inventore placeat. Delectus beatae vel ipsa in sit vitae alias. Saepe accusamus nihil aut aspernatur qui laboriosam. Perferendis et voluptatem repellat maxime dolore quas omnis. Dolorum soluta eos perferendis atque deserunt non illo. Officia commodi sit tempora velit molestiae. Omnis qui enim et quia numquam qui.

Most Helpful

Aliquid totam nihil odio dolorem harum. Iusto eius rerum consectetur ut corporis. Quibusdam aperiam quod iusto qui ipsa sit quis. Error nisi ipsam voluptatem est libero inventore praesentium. Voluptatem id ex ut ut dolor. Facere ut non totam quod corrupti quae.

Qui repellendus molestiae et. Numquam ex illum doloremque praesentium.

Et ut quis aut et error porro rem. Repellat nihil repellat impedit id qui molestiae quisquam. Corrupti dicta possimus aut ducimus. Alias quis iusto mollitia eius fugit ut. Et id consequatur reiciendis ut ad. Unde iusto eum provident dolores commodi eaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”