Got A 92.96 In Corporate Finance and....

92.96 final avg and Was given an A-

UN-FUCKING REAL!

Only missed 1 class the whole semester, sat in the front row and participated more than everybody combined at small non-target (20 students per class about). This has to be a mistake, emailed professor and waiting to hear back.... WTF??!

conyak:

LOL. I thought >94 was an A.. Don't see whats wrong here.. Or troll..

93 is an A.

Usually professors round up 92.5 and over to a 93. i was .04 points short

twitter: @StoicTrader1 instagram: @StoicTrader1

Shouldn't have missed that class.. No but seriously that is shitty. Professors can be understanding especially if you showed up/participated. It wouldn't hurt you to stop by his office hours and chat in person.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Be happy that you are given grades for your GPA. Where I went to school for undergrad, if you got a 97% you didn't get a 4.0 in the class, you got a 3.95 or something stupid like that.

make it hard to spot the general by working like a soldier

Ha I assume you are a freshmen/sophomore. I got my first A- sophomore year and thought that it forever would ruin my GPA. Honestly does not matter, if anything it is the best thing that will happen to you. There is a tremendous difference in hard work between an A and an A- (at least at my school, where business majors have super inflated GPAs to begin with). Now you won't have to worry about "ruining your 4.0" your senior year, and can happily take some A- and just party more. My biggest regrets in college have been sacrificing drinking for school. In the end no difference between a 3.8 and a 3.95 and a 4.0

Best Response
HEBanker:

Ha I assume you are a freshmen/sophomore. I got my first A- sophomore year and thought that it forever would ruin my GPA. Honestly does not matter, if anything it is the best thing that will happen to you. There is a tremendous difference in hard work between an A and an A- (at least at my school, where business majors have super inflated GPAs to begin with). Now you won't have to worry about "ruining your 4.0" your senior year, and can happily take some A- and just party more. My biggest regrets in college have been sacrificing drinking for school. In the end no difference between a 3.8 and a 3.95 and a 4.0

I'm a senior and this semester got hammered. GPA went from 3.86 to 3.83. One semester left.

... are you serious?

Doesn't matter if you participated your heart out. If your exam grades aren't up to par then tough luck.

(Thankfully at my school anything with an A in front was a 4.0, so you could work your butt off and get an A+ but it would be valued the same as an A-, lol.)

Currently: future neurologist, current psychotherapist Previously: investor relations (top consulting firm), M&A consulting (Big 4), M&A banking (MM)

kidflash:

where the hell did you go? i'm so fucking jealous.... i'd be chilling on like a 3.9 right now. does that mean that all B's would be a 3.0 then?

That's exactly it. I went to a target. PM for more info.
Currently: future neurologist, current psychotherapist Previously: investor relations (top consulting firm), M&A consulting (Big 4), M&A banking (MM)

chicandtoughness:

... are you serious?

Doesn't matter if you participated your heart out. If your exam grades aren't up to par then tough luck.

(Thankfully at my school anything with an A in front was a 4.0, so you could work your butt off and get an A+ but it would be valued the same as an A-, lol.)

Thanks for disclosing where you went to school, pretty obvious

Going Concern:
chicandtoughness:

... are you serious?

Thanks for disclosing where you went to school, pretty obvious

It's not really a well-kept secret (nor do I really have much intention of it being one). Googling some of the shit I write on WSO pretty much gives you my entire profile.

Asking a teacher to bump your grade just because you're best buds is the definition of entitlement, and doing so would be a huge disservice to this kid. It doesn't matter how he phrased the email, because doing this is the real world equates to getting fired.

He came up short. It's as simple as that.

BTbanker:

Wow.. if you had emailed a professor at my school, they probably would have flunked you.

So unprofessional. Good luck in life bud.

And this is why you need to be buddy-buddy with a TA instead. Never email the profs, they have much better things to do than deal with undergrads whining about a damn A-. TA's, though, are being paid to be your helpers in the class. I would look to them first if you're really insistent on contesting your grade.

chicandtoughness:
BTbanker:

Wow.. if you had emailed a professor at my school, they probably would have flunked you.

And this is why you need to be buddy-buddy with a TA instead. Never email the profs, they have much better things to do than deal with undergrads whining about a damn A-. TA's, though, are being paid to be your helpers in the class. I would look to them first if you're really insistent on contesting your grade.

There are no TA's in our school. I had a good personal relationship with the professor and talked to him all the time. I am hoping he gets my email and realizes he made a mistake not to round the 92.96 to a 93.

Our school is the same as your target was GPA wise. 93 and above is a 4.0.

BTbanker:

It is a small school and students email professors all the time. Spoke with a girl who had this professor and she told me he gave her an A- then she emailed him and he bumped her up to an A.

Voodz:

I guess that I am pretty screwed with the glorious 2.6 CGPA 1st semester into my Junior year then, aye? Also, participation is not exactly beneficial to your grade unless stated otherwise in the Syllabus of the course. If I was you, I would be happy with an A-, but I would also keep in mind that I have to do better for that desired A in the future.

Class participation was 10% of the grade. A 93 is an A and I had 92.96/100. Doesn't make sense to me...

If there truly is around 20 students in the class, you should probably already be comfortable enough to approach the teacher (e-mail, face to face, whatever). I wouldn't go in there and complain or bitch, just put some pressure on the prof. with a compelling, genuine argument and you'll be surprised. ESPECIALLY at a small school. Play the game, my man.

Jesus OP just hustle a little bit.

I got a grade changed from a B to an A-, and another changed from a B to a B+ by two different professors at the end of last semester. One via e-mail the other a phone call to the professor. The latter was a 15 person course that I showed up to about half the time.

If you were good at hustling you wouldn't be asking us, though.

Stryfe:

Jesus OP just hustle a little bit.

I got a grade changed from a B to an A-, and another changed from a B to a B+ by two different professors at the end of last semester. One via e-mail the other a phone call to the professor. The latter was a 15 person course that I showed up to about half the time.

If you were good at hustling you wouldn't be asking us, though.

Not asking just venting. I know what I need to do. Sent the email first then will go in to talk to him later this week. A girl I know said he gave her an A- then she emailed him about her grade and he changed it to an A. I know how to play the game, I talk to all of my professors and get on their good sides. I have a 3.83 with 4 classes left until graduation. I did have a 3.86 before this semester started. Hopefully he sees my email and that he made a grading error with not rounding a 92.96 to a 93.

Unless your professor is a nazi, your grade will probably be bumped up. This is assuming that the grade was not submitted to your school. I got an A- bumped to an A by a whole point and B to an A- because in both cases I had a good relationship with the teachers

@chicandtoughness

Did you happen to go to UC? Because that sounds exactly like my econ classes in undergrad. I only got a 90+ on 3 tests in all of my major classes combined, and 2 of those times it was the highest grade in the class (and those were calc and stats for the econ major, none were actual econ classes)

I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

rogersterling59:

@chicandtoughness

Did you happen to go to UC? Because that sounds exactly like my econ classes in undergrad. I only got a 90+ on 3 tests in all of my major classes combined, and 2 of those times it was the highest grade in the class (and those were calc and stats for the econ major, none were actual econ classes)

Nope, not UC (I assume you meant Chi and not Cali). Good guess though.

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/finance/going-concern>Going Concern</a></span>:

Fair enough...did some simple google searches, pretty sure I found your linkedin ha

You probably did. That's an easy one.

I was at the helm of the world's largest bankruptcy and you don't see me crying about it, even though there was a large conspiracy to undermine me by people at the highest levels of government. I am one of the most hated people on the planet (except on WSO, where people get me). Yet, you are crying over an A- which will have no impact on your future or anybody else's???? Cry me a river.

Just goes to show how prominent grade inflation is in the US. I'm at a top Canadian finance school and its literally impossible to get a 90, they won't allow it. The closest person to every get a 90 finished with an 89 and currently works at GSIP. One of my profs used to be an Econ prof at UChicago and said that the the grading system in the US is a joke compared to Canada's. According to him, a low 80 at good Canadian schools would probably be equivalent to a mid 90 at a US school.

Recusandae animi optio explicabo consequatur beatae dolores sed. Aliquid voluptas provident magnam aut dolores. Porro corporis quidem est reprehenderit. Voluptate harum ut adipisci explicabo.

Dolorem architecto laudantium dolore explicabo rerum. Minus et natus enim molestiae earum. Quos et magnam in voluptas aliquam optio. Nisi et ex eveniet voluptatem accusamus ullam accusantium alias. Magnam repellat ut veniam ipsum repellat cumque hic. Rerum corporis voluptas distinctio et autem perferendis. Id labore dicta et aspernatur.

Voluptatem aut aut aut quo ut provident sed libero. Sapiente dolorem excepturi necessitatibus nihil quisquam esse. Sapiente quo repellendus et fugiat sint sit. Ratione vel itaque non ut. Ab qui consequatur incidunt quo aspernatur. Distinctio cupiditate et ea pariatur minima impedit molestiae voluptatem. Error ut consequatur voluptatem quasi qui debitis.

Est sed et qui qui tempora. Amet non quibusdam et in laborum est.

Ea eos ipsa vero hic dolores occaecati. Sapiente voluptas consequatur perferendis quam. Excepturi quidem eum veritatis. Est quaerat a eum saepe harum aut est.

Aut rerum aperiam asperiores error odit molestiae. Culpa voluptas asperiores ut dolore aut. Et rerum illo enim sit possimus quaerat dicta. Et dolor et nam provident quae ab ut. Quos perferendis in et officia. Quia assumenda quae distinctio eveniet laborum rem.

Ut tempora commodi omnis aliquid inventore. Adipisci ea ducimus autem dolore et. Quo quae quia nihil nostrum quia. Sit numquam modi fugiat et sed adipisci neque.

I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Aut ea sit ut ullam tempore libero corporis. Ad voluptas iste aut laborum et quod. Excepturi quibusdam et pariatur placeat illo ipsum autem.

Exercitationem et magnam veritatis nihil consequatur ea omnis. Et est suscipit consequatur voluptatibus cupiditate.

Molestiae maiores molestiae laboriosam autem. Repudiandae dolores voluptas debitis neque. Nemo sint qui aliquid. Qui impedit fugit eius dolores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”