Got offer, tell other banks?

I just received a verbal offer on Friday from a BB (Bank B) but I'm waiting to hear back from another bank (Bank A). I want Bank A more than Bank B. Bank B HR called me on Friday also to tell me they haven't given any offers aside from summer offers and they are still finishing up some interviews. Should I tell Bank A about this offer?

I still have not received the final paperwork from Bank B since I heard on Friday.

I'll play devil's advocate (yes, pun) -- this could backfire, as it probably did to me. I had an offer with a top BB (GS/MS) and I was interviewing with a top boutique. I told the boutique about my BB offer and planned to use it as a bargaining chip. However, the boutique probably doubted the fact that I would turn down GS/MS if I got an offer from them -- and I ended up getting dinged by the boutique.

If you truly would rather go to Bank B, then yes, tell them. Explain along the lines of, "sure, it's great to get an offer, but I am far more interested in the _____ and the _____ that [Bank A] offers."

It's the same schtick you'd give if you had an offer from a summer internship. They saw through PickYourBattles' attempt, but if you genuinely would choose them, tell them!

-- Support WSO.com and visit these links! Financial Modeling Training Guide to Finance Interviews

if Bank A is also BB, tell Bank A. the offer from another BB will be a big plus and could entice them as now they know someone else finds you desirable.

if Bank A is not another BB, I would mention that you have another offer but not necessarily from whom. boutiques or smaller banks may not give you an offer knowing that you have another offer with a BB (in the smaller firms eyes, the fact that you have a BB offer increases the odds you will take the BB over the smaller firm, so why should the smaller firm risk decreasing their offer acceptance ratio)

as a member of my bank's recruiting team, this is a key piece of information passed on to the team members when deliberating 1) final round to offer and 2) offer to acceptance. from your perspective it is more meaningful in scenario 2 when we'd be attempting to massage group placement and other easy to offer items to get a candidate signed up. this is best done by communicating to your team members - generally those who called to congratulate you and sometimes your interviewers

you would only be penalized for sharing the offer if it was not from a reputable (as perceived by the other firm) employer

From what i've heard, the MO->FO jump is not an easy one. HR often uses this as a gimmick to lure in wary/overqualified candidates and get them to work hard for a few years to no avail. If you want to know what the MO->FO success rate is, ask the traders at that firm. But as a general rule, it rarely happens.

If your working for a consultancy I would stick it out until you find something you like. Seems like you have a bunch of good prospects, so I wouldn't settle on a job offer just because there is a one in a million chance it will transition you into FO. Unless of course you really hate consulting lol.

• If I do not hear from these other firms in time, should I accept this middle office offer? It really depends how unhappy you are at your current job. I'd say there's probably at best a decent chance to go from mo->fo. That being said, you may be able to leverage this role at other firms.

• I am waiting to hear from another BB that I final rounded with, and I also just got an interview in a trading role at another BB, but the first round is not until late next week.

Should I approach the other firms I am interviewing with and mention my offer and deadline?

Absolutely. Make sure you are very tactful. Mention that you're only reaching out to them as they are your first choice and you have an exploding offer.

• Lastly, at this same firm, I have also been talking to a contact at a trading desk which apparently has openings, but the HR contact for the middle office position does not cover that desk.

Is there any way to use the middle office offer to get in front of a FO desk before making a decision?

That's probably trickier. Even if you go around your HR contact and things work out, if the original HR contact finds out, he or she may be able to chat with others at the firm before you start and besmirch your name/reputation.

Thanks for all of the responses. In terms of my current firm - I work in strategic consulting at a Big 4. I don't hate my current job, but have been wanting to move for over a year now. I see now as my best opportunity as the job market opens up and I have been able to leverage contacts with friends at a few BBs.

I guess my next question is am I better off in strategic consulting (clients are primarily hedge funds) or MO to eventually get to trading? Part of me thinks if it may be best to get my foot in the door at a bank and use contacts to switch.

Best Response
  • stick to your Big4 consulting gig vs. MO at a BB Reason being, you're in a good position right now, better than a MO position IMO, right now you're a career switcher, if you're in the MO applying for FO gigs, your just like all the other MO clowns who couldn't get into the FO and are trying to get in through the back door. Bottom line: you have less perceived value as a MO monkey vs. a career switching consultant

Keep applying for FO gigs. The job mkt is thawing, a lot of people got laid off last year, as wall st recovers they will need more heads ASAP. You're a more attractive candidate as a Big4 strategy consultant vs. a MO lackey. Not only that, but you'll also have to somehow weave the MO move into the overall story you tell about yourself.

Agree with Marcus. At BB, its a very difficult to move MO to FO. Much more possible at MM shops. By all means float the offer you have on the table with other interviews. Just be sure to tell them they're first-pick.

Follow me on insta @FinancialDemigod

I'm in a similar position, but both my interviews were set up through close contacts - family friends and former co-workers.... So I really don't want to burn any bridges at either firm. Would it be viewed negatively for future applications if I don't go through with the offer? Would I almost be expected to accept it, since I actually networked my way to the interview and therefore the offer...

Thanks in advance.

"So who lost the hundy?"

Saepe sit doloribus non quo voluptatem est rerum. Voluptates ut sed nisi et. Animi atque blanditiis culpa porro incidunt quas quidem cupiditate. Excepturi architecto at reprehenderit eos recusandae fugit rerum. Iure eligendi blanditiis incidunt officiis.

Maxime nihil blanditiis quos voluptatem qui et. Et consectetur doloremque tenetur in. Ut inventore architecto est voluptatum facilis magnam.

Commodi sed vel quis ex officia tempore. Debitis maxime expedita impedit porro qui quis. Nam ut omnis totam rerum. Quis quisquam quaerat fugiat qui nisi rerum sit et.

Et eaque repellat occaecati blanditiis pariatur. Est expedita maiores doloremque doloribus. Facilis ducimus velit odio sequi. Est veritatis sunt ratione consequatur ut.

Nihil odit blanditiis labore dolorem voluptatem. Porro voluptatibus quia quam ipsam cupiditate aut voluptatum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”