GPA (3.83) - GMAT (710) - WE (2y - non-IB) --> Best degree to break in?

I am fully aware of the magnitude and repetitiveness of these threads, so I'll try to be as straightforward as possible:

Undergraduate studies: BSc Economics in SE Europe, good regional university, no international appeal
GPA: 3.83, graduated 1st in my class
GMAT: 710
WE: 6mo internship in an IFI, 2 years in Retail (Sales), big multinational, leading some minor projects
Extracurricular: Military service, published finance paper, some non-profit action in the student level
Story: I can construct an interesting story from my challenges and goals in my essay. If it matters, white straight male, mid 20s.

Following my graduation, I fulfilled my country's mandatory military service and got a job in a big multinational retail company. My experience is unfortunately not connected in any way with finance and/or consulting, but I had to work there to make ends meet and save some $ for a future degree.

From what I've gathered reading the site's threads, an MBA degree is best suited for anyone who wants to break-in IB/Consulting without prior relevant experience, but at the same time some MSFs may be better suited for pre-experience professionals. Having said that, my goal b-schools are:

EUROPE
Oxford (MSc Financial Economics)
LSE (MSc Finance)
LBS (MSc Financial Analysis) -with a grain of salt, seems like a cash cow-

US
Darden (MBA)
Duke (MBA)
any other top 15 b-school tbh

Career goal: work internationally for some years, end goal to return to Europe and my country down the line.

My questions are:

1) Is my WE (length and relevance)/average GMAT a limiting factor to making it and getting some $$$ from my preferred schools? ($$$ mainly applies for US)
2) Which reachable US MBA would you say has the best international appeal in Europe?
3) Would getting an MSF/MBA with my limited WE put me in a position to go only after entry level positions or is it possible to go straight for higher ones?
4) Your personal take on what would suit me better, MSF or MBA and why.

Any ideas, suggestions and/or constructive criticism are more than welcome. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all this.

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Funny thing is, Oxford's MFE seems to be a harder to get into than its MBA. Do you think it makes any substantial difference when job searching?

I'll bite.

Just for clarity, what is retail sales? That can mean so many things.

Your career goal is to simply work internationally??? What do you actually want to do?

There is more than one way to get there. I'd rather have 30 chapters than 3000 pages.

What my team and I do is shape the company's national sales strategy (delivering end product from production lines to >300 stores) and coordinate its timely and accurate implementation, i.e KPI tracking, area management, etc. Can be dull, but the job has also a strategic outlook, since the company is growing and it's rather ambitious. In regard to career goals, to be completely honest I was purposefully vague so I could gather more opinions: like the idea of working in consulting in strategic projects, but I would also like to explore working in capital markets. I know this sub wants people to have a clear goal of where they're heading, but I'm still researching. Any help welcome. Thanks.

Most Helpful

Velit voluptas nulla odit et. Quos consequuntur saepe numquam nihil. Architecto culpa voluptatem ut.

There is more than one way to get there. I'd rather have 30 chapters than 3000 pages.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”