Greenhill in 2021

Signed with Greenhill M&A for SA 2022 back in May. Obviously, Greenhill isn't the firm it once was and has struggled compared to other EBs over the past few years, but I was really surprised to see that their revenue actually decreased in 2021 while most other firms have seen record highs. Can anyone on this forum shed some light on where exactly did Greenhill go wrong, and how the future outlook of the firm is?

In terms of exits Greenhill >> UBS > William Blair, but to be honest for a longer term career in banking I'd easily go with William Blair > UBS > Greenhill. Considering how small the class size is, Greenhill still places very well in UMM and is good enough to get MF looks while it'd be tough to get MF looks from UBS and very tough to get MF and top UMM looks from WB.

Given you've been around in IB for much longer than most people on this forum can you shine some light on when/where/how they went wrong? Especially among the more senior crowd, I feel like Greenhill's name is held to a very high, almost top EB, status, which is obviously not reflective of their current status and has not been reflective for some time.

Most Helpful

When I started out, Greenhill was a strong name for sure. I even had the chance to interview for their Rx group and didn’t get it.

Elite banks don’t lose their shine overnight and that’s why I don’t think it’s a terrible place to start out, still lots of smart people there.

But the issue with these EBs is that they are not huge behemoths with massive balance sheets that can weather any storm out there. They are kind of as good as their rainmakers are. So if their suffer a few key defections amongst their top guys, suddenly their deal flow is quite adversely impacted. In this case, they seemed to have suffered some attrition among some senior guys and business has suffered.

I may be wrong but I believe they still have that rockstar Rx MD that came over from Rothschild, so I don’t think that group is in dire straights or anything. Still a good place to learn and get experience under your belt.

What you have to understand is that real life isn’t WSO rankings. No one cares too much where you spend your formative analyst years as long as it’s a place that does true banking. If you hustle hard enough, you will be able to lateral most anywhere from Greenhill.

Will you get looks from the absolute top mega funds and Goldman tmt and pjt Rx? Maybe not, but you’ll get looks and then it’s up to you to run with it.

Maiores autem eos non facilis. Vel minima aut et vitae non dignissimos officiis nihil. Et quia quia consectetur omnis maiores atque. Est adipisci sit sit voluptatem maxime debitis. Quae dolores nisi tempore quia iusto. Officiis ducimus eum qui accusamus natus.

Aperiam autem a rerum et. Est minima nihil vitae voluptas impedit delectus error doloribus. Quos tenetur qui ullam et quaerat. Sit est eveniet dolore voluptas labore. Quia et facere repudiandae sit. Repellendus illum aut velit cupiditate maxime voluptatem voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”