GS Raising Base - Litquidity

Pretty self explanatory. GS raising the bar, no other bank paying 125 to AN2. Thoughts? Only leaves the boutiques (CVP, EVR, PWP, MOE, LAZ) and Jefferies as having not raised base.Also if anyone at GS could confirm that would be sick.

Idk if the picture is visible for y'all but it's on litquiditys story.

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (128)

Funniest
  • Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 1, 2021 - 9:16pm

125 AN2... AN1 probably 110? 115?

GOD BLESS THE PAY, EXITS, AND NAME. I LOVE YOU DADDY SOLOMON.

Edit: according to Bloomberg, AN1 110 confirmed.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 2, 2021 - 8:10pm

I did some math:

Our current offer letters compute =ROUND($85,000/52/40, 2) and =ROUND($85,000/52/40/2, 2) to derive our normal and overtime pay rates of $40.87 and $20.43, respectively.

If we were pro-rated at $110,000, our rates would be $52.88 and $26.44... not a bad bump.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 3, 2021 - 3:51pm

Yeah. Tons of people have brought this up so just keep reading. But I think the consensus is that it's still preferred because 1) many people prefer the fixed guarantee rather than it being variable based on if the M&A markets were hot that year and 2) I believe that base is taxed at a lower rate than your bonus is so overall you may be saving more of that same TC.

Edit: I stand corrected on point #2 based on the comments below. Point #1 still stands.

• Incoming Analyst in IB - Gen
Aug 4, 2021 - 6:10pm

Will the summer intern salaries get bumped up too?

• Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
Aug 1, 2021 - 9:44pm

CVP is gonna bump it to 150 or something crazy. The shops that have already raised are going to need to raise again. 

• Research Analyst in AM - FI
Aug 2, 2021 - 9:26am

Really no point in jumping straight to buyside now huh.. same pay, same hours, but "more interesting work". Suddenly IB at Goldman is the most intellectually stimulating place to work for me. 

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Aug 2, 2021 - 9:45am

Apparently 70/80k for UK An1/2, disappointing to see London getting screwed on the exchange rate again..

• Associate 1 in PE - Other
Aug 2, 2021 - 10:29am

Man this is already a massive 20k improvement for AN1 vs last year, or even worse, 70k was median total comp for AN1 at GS last year - think about that and how much we were screwed just one year ago. Be happy about it and move to the buyside as quickly as possible - you will get paid in USD there.

Aug 2, 2021 - 4:30pm

Before today, London A1 = £50k base, or $69k vs $85k NYC (i.e. 19% discount)

As of today, London A1 = £70k base, or $97k vs $110k NYC (i.e. a 12% discount)

The 'gap' between NYC and London has shrunk to a pretty negligible level now. Bear in mind also that rent, eating out etc (which will make up a large % of analyst salary) are much cheaper in London than NYC. The "true" exchange rate/ purchasing power dometsically hasn't changed since pre-2016. What £1 gets you is the same as what ~$1.60 gets you. So in real terms, London and NYC are on par. Sure you'll save up a bit less, but we're talking tiny figures here.

And as the above poster says, just be happy with, and greatful for, the extra £20k a year extra. We also work much less than our peers in NY and will actaully have a chance to spend some of our extra money on nice holidays... that we can actually take....

Array
  • Business School in IB - Cov
Aug 8, 2021 - 7:40pm

Wow 70k in london?? Can someone confirm cuz this is at least 10k above street for BB base 

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Aug 10, 2021 - 3:02pm

aaltyu

Before today, London A1 = £50k base, or $69k vs $85k NYC (i.e. 19% discount)

As of today, London A1 = £70k base, or $97k vs $110k NYC (i.e. a 12% discount)

The 'gap' between NYC and London has shrunk to a pretty negligible level now. Bear in mind also that rent, eating out etc (which will make up a large % of analyst salary) are much cheaper in London than NYC. The "true" exchange rate/ purchasing power dometsically hasn't changed since pre-2016. What £1 gets you is the same as what ~$1.60 gets you. So in real terms, London and NYC are on par. Sure you'll save up a bit less, but we're talking tiny figures here.

And as the above poster says, just be happy with, and greatful for, the extra £20k a year extra. We also work much less than our peers in NY and will actaully have a chance to spend some of our extra money on nice holidays... that we can actually take....

Wrong, base for AN1 is only 65k. The London discount is alive and well. Would try to get out of there ASAP lol.

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Aug 2, 2021 - 10:16am

I don't think anyone knows yet since GS has not sent out formal communication. People found out in their internal HCM portal (no idea where) about the raises and then I think some banking teams were called today, along with Bloomberg reports. So until they send out info, no idea if there is going to be any increase to S&T/GSAM even if its not the full 110/125

• Analyst 2 in IB-M&A
Aug 2, 2021 - 10:59am

1 - How would anyone know

2 - I doubt they will give 30-40k bonuses to get to 140-150k all in

3 - Having 25k more of guaranteed comp > a smaller year end bonus

• Associate 1 in IB - Cov
Aug 2, 2021 - 5:56pm

well.. the 125k to 150k leaked associate "raise" can't be the actual change to associate 1 salaries because they've already been paying 150k to AS1s for a few years now (so the data point or "leaked" data point doesn't make any sense). The firm hasn't announced yet what, if any, comp changes will be made for the associates and up so I'd hang tight.

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Aug 2, 2021 - 11:11am

Any news regarding the pay bump for Analysts in London?

• Intern in IB-M&A
Aug 2, 2021 - 5:54pm

Anyone know if other BBs will increase again? And could GS be lowering bonuses such that total comp is less affected?

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Aug 3, 2021 - 9:53am

Hasn't been communicated yet. We're supposed to hear later this week

• Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 3, 2021 - 2:51am

Does anyone know if the raise include AFG or is just for Classic?

• Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 4, 2021 - 3:23pm

Don't know if you're

1) outside of GS and mocking me because you didn't know that GS IBD is split into Classic and AFG (in which case don't be so quick to be snappy and make a fool of yourself, asshole, some banks only raised coverage and not capital markets)

2) within GS and mocking me (in which case it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask and you're still an asshole, but thx for letting me know that AFG is included and I'll enjoy the raise)

• Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
Aug 4, 2021 - 10:59pm

Juicy AF apparently - mid bucket was 95k, top bucket 105/110k

Aug 7, 2021 - 2:54pm

Adipisci pariatur praesentium rerum est. Iusto rerum neque quasi eligendi. Perferendis velit dolorem dignissimos labore ut dolorem iste.

Aug 8, 2021 - 6:30pm

Iure sunt autem voluptas voluptatem ut et. Est tempore aspernatur non quae unde tenetur non. Voluptatem vel dignissimos impedit.

Quae asperiores quod temporibus et commodi. Consequatur occaecati dolor consectetur error omnis non. Natus quis minus rerum libero placeat. Odio dolore totam non maiores sed sit.

Dolore esse maxime consequatur quibusdam. Saepe quaerat voluptatem sunt est quia nisi inventore. Excepturi natus corporis qui ab.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

October 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (39) $363
  • Associates (229) $233
  • 2nd Year Analyst (139) $155
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (32) $149
  • Intern/Summer Associate (104) $143
  • 1st Year Analyst (504) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (387) $83