If you have no other offers then it's worth committing. If you have other offers then you have a decision to make. 

You never know how brutal the hiring cycle will be this year - having an offer from a reputable bank like Guggenheim is 1,000x better than winding up with no offer because you turned down Gugg in hopes for something more "prestigious".

markets.ft.com/data/league-tables/tables-and-trends/mergers-and-acquisitions

If I had 2 offers, one from Guggenheim and one from those ranked banks, then I'd pick one of the ranked banks. If I had just a Guggenheim offer, I'd accept the Guggenheim offer and never look back. That's my personal opinion, though there are plenty of reasons to go to Guggenheim over these ranked banks, depending on what you value most. 

If I were in your shoes with a Guggenheim superday but no offers in hand, I'd try my absolute hardest to get the offer. If you want another bank for "preftige" reasons then win the offer and see if the other bank will accelerate. If they won't (most banks really don't care to accelerate nowadays - take it from my experience last year), then accept the offer and don't look back. 

Seriously, any offer is better than no offer. Sandbagging the superday because you think the bank isn't good enough for you is just a STUPID move. 

Corporate Raider

Isn't Guggenheim considered an EB?

Realistically yeah, they deserve it. And Greenhill should probably drop out. But people are really insistent on keeping the BB / EB lists ossified. For bulges this makes a little more sense (regulation and lack of desire will make it unlikely that contenders like RBC or Wells expand to being truly global) but EBs were all built by just poaching random rockstar MDs, and most have spotty global coverage. I don't see why Guggenheim should be left off of that list.

Should definitely think twice before rejecting them. Though everyone on this site clearly doesn't agree, lot of people think Guggenheim's already EB status, they're one of best paying firms on the Street, supposedly good culture and really strong groups in media/tech, healthcare and RX. Of course, if you're hellbent on MF PE, there are lot of firms better for that. As people on this site have said, recruiting can be a crapshoot, and people don't always end up where they "belong" ( put that in quotes because lot of people on this site think candidates "belong" at certain firms based on stats/schools) 

Who cares what people on WSO think. Guggenheim is a great shop, an "elite boutique" as people say (no one uses that term outside WSO). Analysts do go on to MFs, it may not be the norm but the fact that many go from every class means that if you're a top analyst, you have the opportunity to as well. UMM/MM exits are more common (which is true for any bank)

Most Helpful

Gugg is an amazing bank and to hesitate to sign because of what some nerds in the class of 2020 posted two years ago would be very ill-informed. Very good RX practice (Millstein acquisition), coverage groups are decent, some are particularly sweaty and kind of dreadful (tmt, lookin at ya) - but that's just banking anywhere. +1 on everyone that has said if you get the offer to sign and not look back. Definitely an EB, they're better to be at than Roths/GHL nowadays and have better exits than some of the bulge bracket banks and international banks too (DB, UBS, RBC)

Array

Interviewed at their Houston energy location earlier this week. Think interviewer said if you're advancing to the super, they'll contact you on Friday. Nonetheless, has anyone heard back yet? I don't know how they're going to jump to supers already with just a 1st round 20 min phone call. It was super easy

Veritatis accusamus iste maxime consequatur laboriosam. Adipisci ea eos id dolor voluptates. Ut reprehenderit delectus aut suscipit quis veritatis.

Officiis dolor debitis et vero illo quis. Voluptatem aut quidem rerum repellendus molestiae ut. Earum omnis facilis qui possimus velit omnis. Sint qui et incidunt hic harum aut. Quibusdam et consequatur quo fugiat ea cupiditate vero. Odio fuga nihil deleniti sed est.

Quo et ipsum quia est ut qui vel delectus. Quo laudantium voluptas odit tempora repellat ad. Porro sunt quibusdam dolores odio ducimus deleniti aut maiores. Voluptatibus repudiandae omnis reiciendis ducimus provident officiis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”