Hacking Harvard: How To Bypass Admissions and Get a Harvard Degree for Less Than $40,000

Mod note: Best of Eddie, this was originally posted on 10/14/2009.

You're not about to let that adolescent breaking and entering conviction keep you out of the Ivy League, are you? Would your score on the SAT make it a tough sale to get into community college? How about that 1.6 cumulative high school GPA?

Fear not. You too can be a Harvard man.

Thanks to a little-known back door into the Harvard system, you can bypass the admissions process and complete a Harvard degree for less than $40,000 according to this article. By joining the Harvard Extension School, you just pay your class fee (around $1,000) and show up. No essays, no test scores, no mess, no fuss.

Manage a 2.5 GPA in 3 of the Extension courses and you can petition for acceptance to the degree program. All that is required at that point is for you to be in good standing financially with the school and have a proficiency in the English language.

Here's the real kicker: a degree from the Harvard Extension School only costs $35-40,000 total. That's about a quarter of what the nerds who actually excelled in high school pay for their degree. But is it the same degree? Yup. Same degree, same student ID, same access to alumni and career center.

Of course, you won't be able to call yourself what the students of the real Harvard can call themselves after going $150,000 in the hole for a piece of paper:

SUCKERS!

Can't wait to hear the hew and cry from all those a little "Crimson"-faced after reading this...

Don't worry buddy, real Harvard students relentlessly follow them around demanding to know which "house" he or she is in. When that information isn't forthcoming, trial and execution follow. :)

Matthew H. Greene

Eddie Braverman
MoneyKingdom:
Haha, its been a while since I have ragged on you.. I know you didn't attend a prestigious school, but believe me, with attractive, smart, independent women, they cannot resist the aura of prestige.

That's why they all go home with construction workers when they're out drinking with their girlfriends.

The WSO Guide to Understanding TARP

I took a private equity course at the Extension school that my firm paid for. The course itself was great and worth the time considering the teacher was a Harvard MBA and a GP at a private equity firm.

However, full-time students in the Extension school are largely d-bags. Some have managed to convince themselves that they are in fact real Harvard students, which is sad and pathetic to see. I've heard stories of these people trying to BS interviewers, who easily called them on it.

I'd recommend it for those interested in taking a class or two for career development/fun, but it in no way should be portrayed as the real Harvard considering all you need is a checkbook and basic understanding of the English language.

peventure cfaboston28 Where do you guys get your information? The Harvard Gazette reported that the non-traditional admissions process at Harvard Extension only admits 32% of applicants who make the grades in the three courses. They don't accept everyone. You guys keep telling yourself that it's not "prestigious" enoufh because either you don't like Harvard or you were rejected by Harvard back in the day, and the extension school gives you an opportunity to criticize, attack and troll Harvard.

As of right now, HES is more "prestigious" than most American private College's in addition to top ten public universities. 32% is pretty decent.

husband is doing MS in Computers or something telling the whole group her that her husband goes to harvard. Most of us knew that harvard is not well known for engg like MIT. I looked up and found that her d-bag husband is in extension school and now marketing himself as Harvard Grad.

Harvard should close its extension school. This is misguiding many people

cfaboston28:
husband is doing MS in Computers or something telling the whole group her that her husband goes to harvard. Most of us knew that harvard is not well known for engg like MIT. I looked up and found that her d-bag husband is in extension school and now marketing himself as Harvard Grad.

If he is doing a MS in Computer science at Harvard Extension, how is he not a Harvard Student. Harvard Extension is one of the 13 schools at Harvard University. He graduates from Harvard Extension, he is a graduate of the entire university. Why is he not allowed to market himself as a Harvard Grad when he gets his degree? ....

cfaboston28:

If he is doing a MS in Computer science at Harvard Extension, how is he not a Harvard Student. Harvard Extension is one of the 13 schools at Harvard University. He graduates from Harvard Extension, he is a graduate of the entire university. Why is he not allowed to market himself as a Harvard Grad when he gets his degree? ....

Terriers12:
cfaboston28:

Just ask him to tell to a hiring manager or HR that he graduated from extension school and see their reactions. Getting admission into this extension school is as easy as to taking classes at community colleges. The prestige comes with Harvard MBA, Law, Medicine or undergrad can't be compared to extension school.

Just my 2 cents

Terriers12:
cfaboston28:

Just ask him to tell to a hiring manager or HR that he graduated from extension school and see their reactions. Getting admission into this extension school is as easy as to taking classes at community colleges. The prestige comes with Harvard MBA, Law, Medicine or undergrad can't be compared to extension school.

Just my 2 cents

Best Response

During my sophomore-junior years in college, I was seriously considering HES while working full-time post-graduation.

So after speaking to admissions people, HBS people (including the director), and fellow students, here's what I have to say:

1. Extension School graduates do graduate with a real Harvard degree, not from Harvard College but Harvard University. However, there are two discrepancies for HES graduates.

On the resume: You are allowed to put MLA (I think) in Extension Studies, Harvard University. But You are not allowed to put Masters, Harvard University. This has to be clarified. Every Harvard College graduate knows that his/her degree will say A.B.

On the diploma: It still says Harvard University but it will also mention School of Etension Studies.

2. You do get to attend graduation ceremonies, convocation, etc. as a Harvard University graduate under the HES banner. More specifically, "Extension School."

3. This is a great experience and a service for the community for those who are working full time or those who've never had the ability to attend college for whatever reason.

4. You can be eligible for special student status, wherein you can attend Harvard College or Harvard HGS classes with great grades and you are even eligible for workstudy with faculty.

5. It's not cheap. Especially graduate classes which cost a considerable amount per credit.

6. This is not the backdoor to Harvard Law or Harvard Business School, although some find that route. Again, I think if your passion shines through with the work you put in, it should be no problem.

From what I know and the classes I've audited, and even the info sessions I went to, HES is a great program IF it is right for you.

If you really want to get that vault in your career, I suggest full-time MBA/Grad School or a part-time at a great place like NYU or Northwestern Kellogg.

What's the Harvard degree for free? Work for a MBB consulting firm or some company that will put you through school, provided with 2 years of work afterward + killer stats + tough work + not a douchebag.

My two cents.

I think wolfyserver's "My Two-Cents" gets it about right.

People certainly can get degrees from the Extension school and choose to market themselves as Harvard grads. I'd never heard that prohibition about "you can't say you have a Master's from Harvard" if you're in the extension school, but it sounds right. (My guess is that somewhere along the way, the academic counselors at the Extension school try to get you to swear to uphold this ethical standard, which I'm sure the larger University cares about.) But something like that is pretty much unenforceable, I bet.

Exaggerating or finessing your qualifications is something that a lot of people do, essentially as a marketing exercise. Since this is an I-Bkg website, and recruiting in banking is notoriously superficial, I can't blame someone for putting their best foot forward while spinning their story (sorry for mixed metaphor).

The only real downside to inflating your credentials a bit in this case is the risk of occasionally getting caught, and then your status really will take a hit. And in I-banking, there's a lot of Harvard grads roaming around, and if you claim a bachelor's degree from Harvard, the first thing a fellow grad will ask you, conversationally, is "what House [dorm] were you in?" There's only 12 of them in the College (full-time undergrad school), and if you don't have the right answer ready, the other guy will immediately know what's up with you.

I would definitely agree that it may be a better use of time to just do a kickass job on your undergrad studies wherever you take them, and then try to get into one of the top B-school programs, which will totally overshadow anything else academically on your resume.

But that being said, I can also echo wholeheartedly that some of the individual courses in the Extension school can be great. Usually, the professors who choose to teach in the school do so because they love teaching, and love having a really motivated group of students in front of them, which most people there have to be in order to work all day and then sit down to a long night class. I don't know anybody who's taken it recently, but the Financial Statements Analysis class they used to give was terrific. If anyone in the Boston area is on the fence as to whether IBkg is for them, it's a great class to take to get a feel for what you'll be spending your time doing if you really get into it full-time. (And if you find it tedious, that's a good sign that maybe you want to chase a different brass ring than I-Bkg.)

More so, a big part (I think the crucial part) of being in HBS is the networking opportunity. I think of getting an MBA as being part of a club. The more exclusive the club is, the better your chances in meeting and networking with the guys who'll probably make it big in business.

The HES cannot even come close in that regard.

I know those HES students are total "d-bags", I was unfortunate to have received a degree from Harvard(extension). I remember classes that had HLS grads, others had Microsoft employees and, horror of horrors, a business owner with a net worth of 100+mill amongst the other entrepreneurial rabble.

But what I really cannot fathom is how the top tier institutions don't see the low standards that HES students represent. The fact I personally know HES graduates who have been admitted to Stanford and Yale PhD programmes, and am personally guilty of sneaking into Wharton’s MBA beggars belief!!

It's all quite shocking!

I am a student in Harvard Extension School. I am studying part time for the Masters of Liberal Arts, Information Technology, Concentration on Information Systems Management. It is a heavy handed program, with collaborative effort from the teachers and professors of HBS and SEAS, in a process to deliver a terminal professional degree for working professionals.

To get accepted in the program, you must take 10 classes as prerequisites before attempting to take the curriculum of 11 classes and a capstone course. Expect each class to get you busy 30 to 50 hours of homework per week. You must score a minimum of B- is any of the pre-admission courses (not included in the prerequisites) and must maintain a 3.0 GPA, AND you are NOT allowed to take more that 2 classes per semester. That prolongs earning this degree to 8 years, which I highly doubt that any Harvard regular student is willing to accept if given the choice.

I earned my US citizenship ten years ago. I knew nothing about Harvard when I came to the US, or its programs, until I checked the website, and found the ability to enroll via distance. I am attending 100% via distance education, which means that I am absolutely on my own, alone. There are no clubs, no friendships, no dating, no houses, no fraternity, and no graduation party. Harvard to me is "PURE EDUCATION", just a laptop and a pyramid of books. I've never set a foot in Boston or Cambridge, thus I'm not aware of the social fabric that forms Boston, and the regular Harvard or HES. However, given the extreme hostility towards HES from other Harvard students and Alumni, I began to seriously reconsider the true nature of Harvard, which it seems to be directed towards social class membership first, networking second, party time third, building an artificial ruling class forth, making education come last.

Unfortunately I am too far in HES. Thus it is 3 more years of enduring the bad reputation of HES that is being promoted by no one else in the whole wide world other than Harvard Alumni, then it is another 5 years trip to PhD. But definitely it won't be in Harvard, or even Ivy league. There is no justification for spending time, money and effort to be a member of an Alumni that shows pride in undermining other peoples accomplishments.

Samey, Congrats on gaining your citizenship and on your acceptance into HUES. I have met some people I would not like to be around in Extension classes, but most of them are the visiting students, not the admitted degree candidates. I am in the ALB program. I also work full time. The vast majority of my time away from work is spent researching, studying, and writing. Most students I have met at the school are like you and me; hard workers who want an excellent education. The people hurling insults typically took one or two (or no) classes at HUES. Don't be discouraged. We have access to an excellent staff of teachers and to classes taught in duplicate at the various other schools of Harvard. You should be happy about your accomplishments. As for the issue of not getting a feel for the community in person, that will eventually be cured since no one earns a degree at the Extension School without first meeting a residency requirement. Best of luck in your classes this semester.

Hi there,

I am planning to start my ALB program this Jan. I am planning to do it full time. I have a couple of questions for you. How rigorous did you find it? Did you do it full time? And, did you transfer any credits? I plan to do it, but I need to have an insider's view to help make up my mind and be able to balance between work and school effectively.

If I do it full time can it be accomplished in 4 years? Thanks for your advice in advance :) I'd really appreciate it.

P.S - Sorry, unable to PM you :P

Bests, Anubha

90% just calling on the BS of 30-50 weekly hours per class. CS161 (Operating Systems) is one of the hardest CS classes at Harvard College and it takes 35 hours on average. I hope you meant 30-50 in total!

Lot of opinions and misinformation here ( go to the Harvard Extension website and read about it there). Sure you don't need a perfect score on a standardized test that has been shown to be a very poor indicator of success in college to get in, but you do need something more pertinent - A's or B's in Harvard Courses. Admission process consists of taking and passing three courses with at least a B (varies slightly by program - for example in creative writing you also have to submit a writing sample, for masters in computer science need 3.3 avg on prerequisites). Personally, I think this is a much better model than the current college model. If you can do the work and make the grade, you're in. If you can't, you're out. Following is a summary of how the diploma's read.

Harvard Extension School offers 3 degrees: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, Bachelor of Liberal Arts (ALB) in Extension Studies, and Associate in Arts (AA) in Extension Studies.

Your undergraduate degree diploma will read Harvard University, Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies; or Harvard University, Associate in Arts in Extension Studies.

If you earn a master’s degree, your diploma will read UNIVERSITAS HARVARDIANA; then, after your name comes Magistri in Artibus Liberalibus Studiorum Prolatorum (Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies).

You make it sound like taking and passing three courses with at least a B at Harvard is a significant barrier to entry... Let me tell you from personal experience (Harvard College Class of 20XX, Greenough, Lowell) that it is not that hard... I should qualify that with it does depend to a certain extent on what you study. e.g. Classes in the Humanities and Social Sciences distribute grades so that the average grade (C at most other universities) will be a B+/B. Science courses will be slightly lower at B/B-

Interesting little tidbit, Math at Harvard has the highest average GPA among concentrations (what Harvard calls "majors"). Is it because people who study Math are just naturally smarter and harder working? Perhaps... but a big part of it is due to the "incestuous" nature of Math classes. E.g. Top math undergraduates often become Teaching Fellows and/or Course Assistants. For the "typical" math students (e.g. people who did not win International Math Olympiads, people who did not take college level math beyond AP Calc BC in high school, etc.) at Harvard, there are many situations in which the teaching fellow (T.A.) for one of your math classes is going to be someone you know or even someone who you would consider to be a good friend.

Think of the advantages:

1) Frequent access to help. If you live in the same dorm building as your TF (or even better, your TF is your roommate!) you are going to be able to get a lot of access to help (most often one-on-one) compared to people who can only access their TF for just an hour or two each week during office hours (and often times with competition from other students).

2) Relaxed course policies Most classes have a late policy for problem sets/homework assignments (e.g. 10% off for each day late). However, if your TF is your friend then that policy goes out the window. "Just turn it in whenever man, it's cool." Procrastination can be deadly, but I feel there is a legitimate case to be made that being able to take one's time on homework assignments would allow for one to have better absorption and understanding of the material. Especially for long and complicated problems in upper level math classes. Who do you think is going to fare better come final exam time? The kid who had to rush through homework assignment to turn it in on time and only feels confident about 75% of the material, or the kid who was able to take his time and get 100% mastery?

3) Graduate-level math classes that sound impresive but you don't do much By junior year, most math undergrads will start to take a few graduate-level math classes. Advanced undergrads will start taking them in freshman or sophomore year, less advanced kids might take none or just a few in senior year. The dirty secret about these graduate level math classes is that they are often seminar style in which the professor and students sit around a table and discuss interesting topics in math. No homework. No exams. Just a short paper on a topic of your choice (granted, this can be hard depending on how in-depth you go) at the end of the semester. My good friend who was a top math stduent took one of these courses senior year and literally did nothing all semester and came away with an A (he revised a paper that he already did for another class and the professor accepted it for full credit).

TLDR version: Passing courses with B's is not challenging and thus not a high barrier to entry for Harvard Extension School students who wish to pursue one of the Extension School's degrees.

If your kid gets into Harvard but is only above-average smart (e.g. not an International Math Olympiad Medalist), tell him to pursue Math anyways. In all likelihood, he will have a GPA higher than his peers in Broenomics (er... pardon, Economics) and the perceived difficulty of his concentration (major) will be an advantage for finding a job or applying to grad school.

RainJer:

Former USMC, HES Student, and VP at a BB I-Bank. Some of us play the cards we were dealt well, others just b*tch and complain about how people earn their degrees and such.
Go Crimson!

This... outside of extreme "white-shoe" BB/top tier firms, nobody is going to give a flying F which "Harvard" you received your degree from as long as your GPA is decent and you are a likable, aggressive, hard-working person.

The way some people talk about women on this site is disgusting. I am a woman in college doing an internship at a bank this summer and I like this site because I often find the advice helpful and the opinion posts interesting and informative. I have never commented before, but I thought that maybe there have been other women who have tried to utilize this site before and run into similar problems and never spoke up about them.

If the intentions are benign, then fine. But a lot of men on this site refer to women in really degrading and stereotyped ways and not only does it make some of us feel like shit as individual human beings but I think it is also harmful to women professionally. I think the perception of women as sex objects, stupid, shallow, silly, etc. creates a hostile environment for us and really makes it tougher to have a successful future in finance, or any serious and competitive profession, for that matter.

The way women have been referred to in some of these comments makes them seem like sex objects, accessories, and people of inherent inferior intellect... the sarcastic comment about how "chicks fall over with their legs in the air for regular Harvard guys," for example. There was also the comment that indicated that even smart, attractive, independent women are all shallow, because despite the aforementioned redeeming charateristics, they simply can't help but be attracted to prestige. There was the comment that came after that, which reduced those smart, attractive, independent women to losers who sleep with construction workers after a night of "drinking with their girlfriends." The generalizing, along with the arguments themselves, just seems offensive.

I don't mean to attack the men on in this thread. I'm just saying I wish women were not brought up exclusively in sexual or humiliating contexts on this site, because I actually usually enjoy it and find it pretty useful.

ssturner, thanks for your comment. This thread is back from 2009 before we implemented a better moderating system, and most of the comments that you mentioned came from a user that has been banned for a LONG time.

That being said, you can help us with flagging violations of the WSO User Guidelines by hitting flag post next to any of the comments that are in violation.

I can assure you WSO does not condone sexist comments and we want to make it as welcoming to women as it is to men. We are just a very small team that has trouble staying on top of all the violations...or I should say we did have trouble. We are doing a MUCH better job in the last year of cleaning up the forums with the help of the community flagging posts that violate our guidelines.

Thank you for registering and commenting, Patrick

LOL at all the HES students coming out of the woodwork.

I think the anti-HES arises from the fact that it is REALLY difficult to get into Harvard, and that it is the GETTING IN that matters far more than what you learn while there or how difficult the coursework is (same applies to business school, you don't learn anything terribly valuable from HBS, but getting in shows you are a BSD), and HES students intentionally give people the wrong impression they got into/graduated from regular harvard.

Besides anecdotes from friends, I know a couple people who say they went to harvard, and then months later figured out they really came from HES. It's not lying, but, come on...

Hodor Only 32% who apply to Harvard Extension School get in, so HES grads have to take a stand when a lot of foolish statements are being made about HES.

Although I am at UPenn, I can't believe the amount of lies being spread about HES. It's wrong.

Who sang that song "High School never Ends?" Man, it doesn't. Same little arguments.

I don't disagree with people's caveats about HES but it's great how much it sets you off. "I'm special godammit!1! Why don't people solely care about prestige?"

I don't know. Once you start sub-ranking by school the whole thing gets even more idiotic. "This guy studied at Harvard's Medical School. What a loser! The MBA is harder to get into. Or vice-versa" Who cares? Is it better to be a legacy student at HBS or get a 4.0 GPA at the Divinity School? Or is it better to go to Cornell and found Greenlight?

Admissions seem pretty random - GMAT, checklist charity work and months writing a single essay with help from all over the Internet. But if admissions are really that indicative, maybe the best thing would be to rank the admissions. Obviously, whoever got waitlisted is worse and so on...

IMO, school admission should be about grades only no matter what,

So you need 3 Bs to enter HES? Well, you should need to have 3 agressively curved As to enter any Harvard school. That would be fun!!!

And yeah, it doesn't measure x and y, but nobody needs Harvard for that - life measures all the xs and ys very well...

The interesting thing is that once someone comes up with a clever positive sounding name for dropout, schools are screwed. Kids will go crazy on GMATs and stuff, get admitted, write on the resume that they were a HSW "admitee" or whatever, get out and save themselves 200k.

It's ridiculous to have easy grades on a top school. Then I try to hire a guy who did an MBA with a finance specialization to find out that he doesn't even know the theory, but he can solve any GMAT problem if we ever need him to... I'd rather get a CFA charterholder - at least they studied something.

This thread is quite humorous as a director for the worlds largest networking company. While some students may not be of a high caliber, that is typically the case anywhere (any school or workplace). Most students in HES have jobs that Harvard college students dream of getting (making $300k-$1M)+. Any critical person of professionals increasing their education just shows the immaturity. I would hire a HES grad with experience over a Harvard MBA or Harvard College grad any day.

My father is chairmen of one of the major academic departments at Harvard..and is also a "platinum 30+" tenure professor of an extremely popular course with a huge waiting list (partially because he's famous/a decently pretty well known international celebrity for his work in everyone's "favorite" industry...

Okay, enough with the claiming the point of me saying this is that ANY of you who are hahahaha seriously thinking or saying you are actually a "HARVARD STUDENT"

just almost no comment........ The fact you are seriously arguing your delusion and ignorance about this subject let me just cloes this thread with actually 100% accurate deal on the truth, and SORRY in advance to you haha clowns that, don't think I dont know your game (; you totally get off to yourself EVEN though you deep down, and won't ever admit it to anyone but....

ATTENTION ALL HARVARD EXTENSION STUDENTS:

1. NO doubt there are acutally some really excellent courses and depending, you also (may or may not) get a lot of the (obviously) huge benefit of using at least some of Harvard University's student resources and class resoruces etc. At the end of the day, it's what you know, what you can do, what you can show, what you can accomplish and what you can create... how smart/creative/ etc you are so forth..... So, no, HES is absolutely NOT bullshit or anything, it just depends what course, what professor, what group of peers you get stuck with etc.... OH and what YOU PUT INTO IT , so thus reflecting what you GET OUT OF IT

2. THAT BEING SAID....... THERE IS NO DEBATE. AS IN OVER, PERIOD, DONE, FIN: If you take either just a single course at HES, or go there "Full time as a student taking traditional 5 course load or whatevr" guess what? YOU ARE STILL NOT, AS IN 0.000% , NADA , ZERO, NOT AT ALL IN ANY WAY AT ALL a "Harvard Student"

3. I don't care if you are walking around the yard all fucking day, or getting access to the mac or hemmingway gyms and wearing your "harvard" sweatpants and maybe even blow or haha jk ask someone like me... or my father for a access card for limited library use and so forth... YOU STILL ARENT A F%#CKING HARVARD STUDENT !!!

4. So, what do I care? HAHA I mean ALL the power to you bro if you are gaming' some tacky but hot chick at a bar and drop the H-bomb (telling her casually u go to Harvard when she asks what school?) , I mean that's cool and hey, we have all lied to make ourslves look better in a situation where there is something to gain from that...... in one way or another.,.

5. But again, hmmmm well actually I GUESSSS if you ..... HAHAH SIKKEEEE NOPE , there is NO WAY AROUND IT GUYS!!!!!!!

except.... well this one way... here's the deal and the secret thank me later.. shhhhh!

Okay, so the way around this is.... you... STOP BEING A godamn tool first, and then... apply to Harvard University..... and get acceted...

^Don't spread that too much okay, its a pretty amazingly brilliant strategy to get into harvard , so that's what id suggest

Oh and one last time, YOU AREN'T ANY STATUS AT HARVARD as an undergrduate or graudate student... by taking courses at HES. What I mean is be an idiot and walk around for as long as the delusion lasts that you "no big deal..uh, yeah went to Harvard... what?"

HAHA STFU , again I don't need to even care , it's funny to me but/... WARNING: There WILL BE A DAY AND A TIME at NOT JUST your dumbass self applying to a high profile job with "Harvard University Veritas., class of .... blah ... haha yeah, they are just going to have a big laugh in HR

But no I'm warning you about avoiding POTENTIAL MASSIVELY CRUSHING EMBARESMENT to the extreme... cause SOMEDAY, and SOMEWHERE you will after ____ period long time of now having actually convinced yourself perhaps of this silly lie , and just when you aren't ever ever even close to having a way of expecting or thinking of this: Your with a bunch or group of at least several , or even on a date(?) etc.. social situation , and then you, probably not even thinking telll ur lie about going to "Harvard" casually when quetsion or it comes up...

.....JUST FOR BAM, BUSTED!!!!! The hot chick you met on Tinder you are out on a date with trying so hard to do it up perfect... or.... ust kicking it with some new friends friend's o WHATEVER

To have the actual Harvard student/ graduate go: " OH really? SWEET MAN !!! High FIVE!! I was class of XXX at Harvard, wow you must be my age or yeah right? soooo what dorms were u in man? I bet we obviosly know so many mutal friends... anyways who did you have for english prof sophmore year ??

AND so forth.. something like that ^ and HAHAHA talk about an AMAZINGLY ENTERTAINING AWKWARD, like THE MOST AKWARD situation - that is what you get for lying haha

PS. I say this too because I've literally seen this happen and it was awesome , the HES kid was a huge tool anyways so it made it so much bettter

you know that you are NOT AT ALL considered enrolled at Harvard,

Anonymous Monkey Ahh, the delusional anonymous monkey. Sorry to say that you better go take a look in the COOP, because the Shields on the wall have Harvard FAS, Divinity School, Business School, AND THE EXTENSION SCHOOL! Guess the joke is on you. By the way, stating that your father is a professor is an appeal to authority, which is logically fallacious. I am taking your comment at face value -- fallacious, unreasonable, illogical, and quite frankly asinine.

I'm not making a judgment on anything other than practical experience of growing up in Boston. Harvard undergrads are on alert to remind you they are both Harvard students and you aren't (they do it to Yale kids equal opportunity.) Once they ask what house you were in and you got no answer OVER DONE all Harvard people you know that they know are alerted, totally not worth it.

On other hand they do now let HES students into Harvard Club as members.

Matthew H. Greene

Dean of HES Huntington Lambert stated that the courses are tougher. In many cases because they are weighted and because they draw their students and instructors whom they expect more of from a working group of people who are often older. Additionally, in 2006 no doubt because they wanted to draw on a wider selection of instructors and many with more real-world experience that can be invaluable, the university dropped the requirement that they are Harvard faculty members. I bet there was pressure from the University community too. These are the major differences I see. I recently got admitted to the HES Masters in Journalism program. I don't think of myself as a douchebag either. I think of it as convenient and good value for the money. I think humility is as important as it is in short supply at Harvard University. I have found that I do my best work and get the best grades from instructors who have a lot of real-world experience which they all have. Many also have Ph.D.'s as well and they are prickly to deal with. One I didn't learn anything from and withdrew from the class. That is not the case with the others. If you attend Harvard College great but don't forget how privileged you are. I consider myself lucky to get a chance. This year for example: First my mother dropped dead of a heart attack in the middle of exams and I had to put everything on hold to empty her house and deal with everything. Then I got slammed into from behind by a car and was in and out of MRI and X-ray machines. Then Hurricane Irma hit where I live. Then a historic flood destroyed my family's cottage and had to deal with that. In each case, I had no one to help me either. I still got through the courses. Never missed a class either but I was late for one the night I found out about the flood. The fact that I even mentioned the last fact is because it is a matter of pride for me now. To honor commitments is a part of my character and my reputation which has intrinsic value. And yes I have a demanding job too; I am a high-school teacher. HES students have to have more grit because as you age life gets a lot tougher. We may get called douchebags because we represent something the rest of the University clearly does not but no one will call us wimps. I have also found with adult education instructors are less likely to treat you in a childlike manner because you have real-world experience. This can help but probably not with the "prickly" ones.

Itaque dolorem et enim ipsum rerum placeat. At sit atque quam mollitia sint id. Similique ex et dolorem sapiente quisquam. Optio corrupti vero praesentium qui eum cum et. Iusto cumque itaque et veniam eum consectetur. Consequatur iste voluptates in hic numquam accusamus. Iste ea blanditiis perspiciatis.

Sit et unde quae dolorem sit. Est repellendus sint natus sint iste quidem aut. Perspiciatis et labore in ut eligendi nobis blanditiis molestiae.

Corrupti esse quos et itaque impedit molestias recusandae. Delectus voluptatum eum reprehenderit optio aut. Nostrum accusantium maxime sint. Ullam fuga quo voluptatem facilis et commodi.

Ipsum ut velit omnis ratione. Voluptatem rerum velit harum qui aut. Sint soluta qui iure fuga. Qui laboriosam veritatis numquam doloribus. Omnis ea consectetur veritatis eos et eum. Nisi culpa dolores aliquam ipsa est rerum odio consequatur.

Eum vitae nihil dicta esse culpa. Similique et sit aspernatur vel illo nam cumque. Aut et qui cupiditate debitis quod. Eaque esse sint ea autem explicabo.

Qui nihil sapiente ipsum animi veritatis consequatur incidunt qui. Quod delectus unde iste quo et delectus aut. Ipsa corporis omnis natus. Nobis ea qui quaerat voluptates maiores sed ea.

Ut est doloremque et non vitae rerum esse voluptatibus. Harum autem accusantium nam aut sunt. Dolor amet autem eius distinctio est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”