HBS and GSB Feeder Schools and Companies, Class of 2020

Just some stats I found online and would like to share for those who are interested: 

HBS Class 2020 Undergrad and Company representation:

https://fortunaadmissions.com/wp-content/uploads/…

37% of the HBS class of 2020 came from 14 institutions, out of a total of 254 schools: 

1. Harvard (46)
  2. Penn (39)
  3. Stanford (35)
  4. Yale (31)
  5. Princeton (24)
  6. Duke (23) 
  7. Dartmouth (20)
  8. Cornell (18)
  9. Notre Dame (18)
  10. Brown (15)
  11. MIT (15)
  12. UTexas (15)
  13. Columbia (14)
  14. Georgetown (14)

21% of the class worked at some point for MBB: (the first number stands for direct admits out of the company)

McKinsey (41 - 81 on resume)

BCG (36 - 55 on resume)

Bain (27 - 53 on resume)

Among the Big Four there’s a strong showing by Deloitte – 8 admits came direct but 27 have the company on their resume. Accenture also scored well, with 8 direct and 17 since college.  Smaller numbers of consultants came from Oliver Wyman (6), AT Kearney (3) and Keystone (2)

Deloitte (8 - 27 on resume)

KPMG (4 - 6 on resume)

PWC (3 - 8 on resume)

EY (2 - 6 on resume)

Acenture (8 - 17 on resume)

126 of the HBS admits worked at some point for Goldman, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Barclays, BofA, Merrill Lynch or Citi. But only 32 were admitted directly out of one of these companies:

Goldman (14 - 44 on resume)

Morgan Stanley (8 - 26 on resume)

BAML (4 - 17 on resume)

JP Morgan Chase (4 - 16 on resume)

For Buyside representation: Blackstone (8), Blackrock (7), Advent International (7), Carlyle Group (5), KKR (5), Warburg Pincus (5), TPG (4), Hellman & Friedman (4), Bain Capital (3), American Securities (3) and at fifteen other firms.

GSB Class 2020 Undergrad and Company representation:

https://fortunaadmissions.com/wp-content/uploads/…

53% of the class came from 19 institutions (out of 145 represented):

1. Harvard (25)
  2. Stanford (23)
  3. Yale (19)
  4. Penn (15)
  5. Columbia (13)
  6. Brown (11)
  7. Dartmouth (10)
  8. Princeton (9)
  9. Duke (7)
  10. Georgetown (6)
  11. NYU (6)
  12. Berkeley (6)
  13. Notre Dame (6)
  14. UNC (6)
  15. Amherst (5)
  16. Cornell (5)
  17. USC (5)
  18. Pontifica Catolica Chile (5)
  19. UVA (5)

McKinsey, BCG and Bain (MBB) dominate the feeder companies that appear on the resumes of Stanford admits. 44 of the incoming class were working at one of the three firms when they applied to the GSB, with a further 26 who started with MBB before making a career switch:

McKinsey (29)

BCG (22)

Bain (19)

Deloitte, one of the ‘Big Four’ featured on the resumes of 12 Stanford MBA students to last year’s class, not including two more from Monitor Deloitte.

While Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and Morgan Stanley feature more than any other financial services firms in the post-undergraduate experience of successful Stanford MBA admits, it is private equity and investment firms such as Bain Capital, TPG Capital, Blackrock, The Carlyle Group, Blackstone and KKR that collectively feature on many applicant resumes:

GS (13)

JPM (11)

MS (10)

Only 5% of GSB were in the tech sector. Most represented tech companies are:

Google (6)

Amazon (4)

Facebook (3)

Microsoft (2)

Apple (1)

genuinely surprised that some of the non MS/GS/JPM BB's had more GSB/HBS admits than what this forum would classify as EB's. Would have expected EVR, CVP, PJT LAZ etc to put up numbers

Probably a consequence of EBs having smaller analyst classes 

Totally speculation, but also feel like an MBA isn’t as good of a deal for top EB analysts.

The cost is higher as you give up years of earning more than your BB counterpart.

The value-add is less significant, as the number of doors that open with the MBA are probably marginal compared to average BB analyst > MBA.

So on both sides, doesn't make a ton of sense.

Furthermore, the big allure of MBA is a career switch. Most kids who go EB likely want to build a career in finance (hence why they chose brands with better finance rep, but less general rep compared to GS, JPM, MS), so that avenue of value just isn't there. Going to an EB is self-selective in a way for people more inclined to build a career in finance.

Most Helpful

Agree with PP. Columbia has a sizable population going into finance but much less so for consulting, MBB wise I would say over 70-80% go into McKinsey, then a drop off with very little representation of BCG or Bain even though both definitely recruit on campus. Everyone I knew was either at McKinsey or some Big 4 or Oliver Wyman. And HBS recruits heavily from ex-consultants. I definitely think a lot more Columbia folks go into law school. It's a big feeder to Yale, and has been a top 3 feeder for the past 4-5 years. Also a top 5 feeder to Stanford Law as well. Quite a dozen people from my year also ended up HLS and CLS as far as I can recall.

PP isn't wrong when he mentioned creative types. Lots of folks go into the arts, journalism, and media. Incredible representation at places like NYT, WaPo, and WSJ. IMO the student body is really a mix of Penn (strong finance focus, urban types, but minus the social scene), Yale (plenty of creative and artsy types but not nearly as avant-garde as Parsons or Pratt, many going into law school but fewer into government and public service), and Northwestern (a good contingent of people interested in media and journalism but no undergrad J-school). Though I don't recall as many premeds, maybe it's that I was in the college and not the engineering school lol. 

Surprised to see MIT not making it to top 20 of GSB's feeder college list. I thought it was known for tech and entrepreneurship.

Also very surprised that UChicago didn't make it into top 30 of either school's feeder college list. It only sent like 6-7 people combined to both schools and significantly below its peers and even some LACs. It seems to have punched way below its weight, if you consider how big the school size is (6-7k), how many of its grads go into banking and consulting (reputation for good Econ department) and that its rankings have been on the rise for almost a decade now, which should have attracted a much stronger cohort of students by 2020.

Eveniet consequatur iure eius voluptate molestias assumenda. Sit odio error minus et. Accusantium iusto repellendus autem nulla.

Voluptatem corporis dolorem laborum nam quia ipsa nesciunt. Quidem et fugit molestiae ut dicta. Voluptatem sit explicabo sint. Dolorum quis voluptas qui velit. Reprehenderit dolores magni id illo culpa hic alias maxime. Rerum molestias in tempore non consequatur soluta. Adipisci repellendus esse deleniti.

Eius sapiente est fugiat. Accusantium quibusdam consequatur sed voluptas. Fugit quas rem maiores aut est. Beatae illum eveniet officiis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”