I am a first year analyst at IBM within the Digital Strategy consulting practice, definitely the best division to be in at IBM consulting today! I am part of a few really cool internal initiatives and am relatively known in my group (80 first years so being known is good). I have a few problems.
Considering my anonymity, I will share my entire profile to help with any suggestions moving forward.
- BBA Michigan
- $73k + 7K + bonus so probably 83k after bonus
1) The bench is really, really deep. According to a recent report, ~ 25% of first years are on billable work.
- I was on an important client engagement, but rolled onto the bench 2 weeks ago and am terribly bored. I am not learning anything and I find the client work pretty boring.
- What should I be doing with my free time? We have trainings, but they kind of stink and are really light. I have no experience with technology, so maybe that? Something like python, c++? Similarly, I want to get better at modeling, but don't want to shell out the cash for a WSO program or something. Any suggestions?
- The good news about my program is, in terms of promoting, it is almost expected that you'll be on internal work for the first year, meaning I'm on target for the 2nd year promotion lol.
- I would like to stick it out for at least 1 year. If we leave before 1 year, we have to pay back $7k
After promotion, ~$100-115k all in (normally occurs 1 year 8 months - 2 years)
2) I want to break into VC
- I have connections, I keep up to date with investments, go to events, starting a thesis to share with my connections. I think it is possible.
My ask of WSO:
Knowing my information and background, what do you suggest I do?
A) Trainings/Personal Learning
B) When is too early to leave?
C) Am I being a p*ssy millenial who has a fine job, but want's to "change the world"
D) Any insight you may have
Consulting Case Interview Course
- 2,037 questions across 209 consulting firms. Crowdsourced from over 600,000 members.
- 11 Detailed Exclusive Cases developed by a McKinsey Associate and 10+ hours of video.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring consultants just like you.