Help! Received offer with choice of coming in as 1st year or 2nd year

hondro's picture
Rank: Senior Chimp | 22

I received an offer at a very large bank in New York and have the choice of coming in as a 1st year analyst or a 2nd year analyst.

For the last year, I've been working at a small boutique. Though the 2nd year offer is appealing, the 1st year offer comes with 3 weeks training in London.

To make matters more complicated, training is in September, so I'd effectively be a 1st year analyst for 2 years before being bumped to 2nd year.

Though I don't think I need the training, I can't shake that it would be an incredibly valuable networking opportunity.

Short of asking for the best of both (2nd year + training), what should I do?

Comments (10)

Nov 19, 2013

Rothschild, eh? Have fun

Nov 19, 2013

Roth starts that late? Jealous....

Nov 19, 2013

You obviously take the 2nd year offer. I don't know why this is even a question.

Nov 19, 2013

Yeah no way being a first year analyst for 2 years is worth the 3 weeks in London (during which you'll be training for parts of it) and the networking opportunity that comes with it. If you were hesitant about your ability vs. other second year analysts that might be a different story.

Nov 19, 2013

Um...would anyone take the first year offer?

Nov 19, 2013

2nd yr of course..... why would you want the training, it is fun, but not so good for ur career

Nov 19, 2013

Like everyone said, go for the 2nd year.

Nov 19, 2013

yeah, everyone is right. You're doing the exact same shit either way...one way gets you paid incrementally more and potentially promoted faster.

Nov 20, 2013

I'll play devil's advocate to this unanimous decision... it'll probably be a challenge to rank high among the 2nd years come bonus and review season as they've already established their reputation and we are several months into the year. You'll get up to speed quick, but it won't be a couple months before you know all the processes. Additionally, if it worked like my bank, they've already handed out 3rd year offers by now and are waiting for yes/no from those people. *IF* one says no and you come right in and impress them, you may have a chance at an offer. Otherwise, you better start recruiting for your next job starting your first day.

Nov 20, 2013
Comment