HF Comp Breakdown ? - L/S Equity value-oriented $150mm AUM Family Office

Was offered a first-year investment analyst position at a L/S equity hedge fund. The fund is a bit different however as it the private capital of two UHNW individuals. It used to invest outside capital, but not anymore. About $150MM AUM with 60% long 40% short. I've been working for the main person for 4 years in a portfolio company acquired through their PE fund. The HF is managed by one of the HNW individuals, who manages a portfolio of companies and CRE, and one PM would spends most of his time with a portfolio company. Then it would just be me as the analyst working full-time on the fund. This is more like a family office in the mid-west. 

I passed CFA Level 1 in February and the previous analyst left so that is how I got the opportunity. I'm studying for L2 this February and plan and completing the CFA by next February. 

With that background, what are good ranges for base comp and for bonus comp %? And how would I negotiate/ set criteria to determine bonus comp %?  

Hedge Fund Interview Course

• 814 questions across 165 hedge funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
  • 11 Detailed Sample Pitches and 10+ hours of video.
  • Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring hedge fund professionals just like you.

Comments (5)

Nov 10, 2021 - 5:34pm

Red flags galore! 

I agree with the other poster on red flags, (most) family offices absolutely hate paying employees out of their own capital. You could crush it there, work 24/7 and still not get paid. These types of setups also provide highly questionable exit ops. I would get in writing how you are going to get paid for your a bonus. Whatever they tell you is likely to not come to fruition unless its in writing. 

Most Helpful
Nov 17, 2021 - 10:41am

Voluptatibus omnis nulla aliquam vel enim id labore. Rerum incidunt cumque qui architecto aliquid repellat consequatur. Ea eius veniam deserunt quasi.

Dolores minus ducimus quos labore autem. Laudantium quibusdam dolore occaecati modi occaecati omnis. Facilis voluptate ut dignissimos atque. Praesentium magnam culpa voluptates dignissimos ut doloribus nam.

Eos porro nemo dolorem rerum alias ratione. Non facere voluptatem asperiores dicta. Voluptatibus voluptas cum quo omnis nulla quia dolore. Illum laborum consequatur consequuntur aliquid assumenda. Omnis porro veritatis temporibus. Debitis exercitationem suscipit autem assumenda sequi est magnam.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

November 2021 Hedge Fund

• Vice President (20) $488
  • Director/MD (10) $359
  • NA (5) $306
  • Portfolio Manager (7) $297
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (21) $288
  • Manager (4) $282
  • 2nd Year Associate (28) $241
  • Engineer/Quant (52) $238
  • 1st Year Associate (64) $187