HF Comp Breakdown ? - L/S Equity value-oriented $150mm AUM Family Office

Was offered a first-year investment analyst position at a L/S equity hedge fund. The fund is a bit different however as it the private capital of two UHNW individuals. It used to invest outside capital, but not anymore. About $150MM AUM with 60% long 40% short. I've been working for the main person for 4 years in a portfolio company acquired through their PE fund. The HF is managed by one of the HNW individuals, who manages a portfolio of companies and CRE, and one PM would spends most of his time with a portfolio company. Then it would just be me as the analyst working full-time on the fund. This is more like a family office in the mid-west. 

I passed CFA Level 1 in February and the previous analyst left so that is how I got the opportunity. I'm studying for L2 this February and plan and completing the CFA by next February. 

With that background, what are good ranges for base comp and for bonus comp %? And how would I negotiate/ set criteria to determine bonus comp %?  

$150K base + 100% bonus as a first year. These set ups trigger all sorts of red flags for me though. These people usually have no idea what HF comp should be and they usually hate paying people with internal money

Red flags galore! 

I agree with the other poster on red flags, (most) family offices absolutely hate paying employees out of their own capital. You could crush it there, work 24/7 and still not get paid. These types of setups also provide highly questionable exit ops. I would get in writing how you are going to get paid for your a bonus. Whatever they tell you is likely to not come to fruition unless its in writing. 

Most Helpful

It's an unknown firm with no outside capital. Anyone who ever looks at your CV is going to question your time there. By question I mean: was it a real place? did you do anything value add? Who trained you? Etc...etc... 

I've done reference checks for former juniors who took roles like these in the past, they all had a very hard time finding their exit. Basically established funds who looked at them for future jobs wondered if their time spent there was wasted. 

Just a word of caution. There are positives of course, if the two guys are good ppl who reward you well, there may be a path to run a small pool of capital. These are items you need to flush out before you sign on. 

Unfortunately in this industry the negatives happen much more than the positives, so go in with eyes wide open. 

Best of luck! 

Eos nisi consequatur vel debitis. Deserunt facilis cupiditate sed eos at ea. Quis et ut saepe numquam accusamus delectus. Beatae dolorem necessitatibus error deserunt enim eos consequatur.

Esse quaerat magni fugit quos voluptas et. Aut eos repudiandae rerum aut dolor. Nobis commodi quae corporis voluptas.

Ab animi facilis maxime nisi unde. Aut sed atque repellat odio nisi nulla. Necessitatibus praesentium aspernatur accusamus eum et autem. Eum non sed repudiandae.

Sint qui eos quo quas. Tenetur deserunt esse quae ut dolore suscipit est. Perspiciatis voluptatem nisi exercitationem sint et qui. Ea sit deserunt accusamus. Et est eum eum voluptatem amet aut ut. Autem sequi est saepe error voluptate est. A est aut est quibusdam rerum omnis architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”