Highest-paying career post-MBA for someone already on $180,000

I'm currently studying for my GMAT whilst working in tech sales. I'm currently on $180,000 (converted for you US folk, I live in London) and in 2023 will likely be on $240,000 when I jump to another company. 

I plan to start my MBA in Sep 2023 (ideally NYU but will also apply to CBS, Wharton, LBS, and INSEAD) but was wondering which careers would offer me a good chance to exceed my current earnings. So far it seems like IB (only at VP and beyond) and possibly MBB if one makes it to partner level.

EDIT - Just realised I already asked this question in August. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Most Helpful

Many things will get you to $200k+ in total comp in your first year. Consulting will get you over that threshold, banking definitely will, even tech PM will get you close and likely over if you factor in the equity.

At the end of the day, you kind of need to think about what you want your MBA. If you're doing well in sales and primarily care about the money you can make, you can have a much better lifestyle and still make great money if you continue to work your way up the sales org. I know folks who are in enterprise sales or key account manager types of roles and they bring down high 6 figure to low 7 figure paychecks with a relatively low amount of stress. With that said, being a sales lifer takes a certain type of person. 

If you don't foresee a long term career in sales and want to pivot to something that would be challenging for you to do now, so banking, consulting, product management, etc then an MBA makes sense. Those are also pretty well trodden paths coming out of an MBA and likely won't be terribly challenging to land those types of roles depending on the school you go to.

What are the realistic comps for MBB, IB, tech PM 3-5 years post MBA? Realistically I'll be on $240k before I begin my MBA so the opportunity cost is quite large considering the lost income. My future expected earnings would have to make it worthwhile.

What kind of companies are your friends at who are bringing in high-6 figure/low 7-figure paychecks?

From the research I have done, it seems like it's IB or bust in terms of post-MBA careers that make sense financially. I have heard that you can make partner at MBB 6-8 years post MBA where the salary is much closer to a million, not sure how true any of that is though. 

I don't know them off them top of my head, you'd be looking for engagement manager for MBB and VP for banking. VPs in banking make a ton now $500k+. EM at MBB I think is around $300k all-in, but I'd do some googling around that. PM is probably similar, but it will varying greatly by company.

Late Stage Tech is where most of them have done well. So fast growing, pre-ipo companies. Once they get too big, they institutionalize sales too much for too many folks to be making a ton of money.

As I said before, if you're only focused on money, I'd think hard about whether an MBA makes sense for you. If you're purely looking at something like consulting and thinking "man only $300k as an engagement manager, I could be making double that if I stayed in sales" then it might not be a fit for you. Going into consulting/banking etc is more of a career chance which will have a broader impact on your life. You might need to take a step backwards before going forward, that's what a fair amount of MBA students do.

IB would be 3 year (ASO3) ~$350-450k to 5 year (VP2) ~$550-650k

MBB/T2 would be 3 year (EM/M/M) ~$250-300k to 5 year (AP/SM/SM) ~$350-400k

Product @ a tech co in a tech hub would be 3-5 year (L5) ~$250-400k to (L6) ~$350-650k. Depends on if you can get 2 promos within that time. 

I wouldn't do an MBA purely for a job. I think you can network your way into another role (IBD/MBB) without the MBA

If you're looking for a break, want to incubate a startup idea (growing popularity), explore other fields (intern at multiple different places), find a spouse, etc. then maybe consider it. 

Array

I don't know what your work experience is, but you could try starting at a mid market/boutique firm as a lateral hire an try to lateral again to mbb/Ibd from there.

keep in mind there's no guarantee of getting mbb from an m7 also. 

Array

This is just not true. For someone going from sales to a career in banking/consulting, an MBA is the perfect fit for that. If the OP said he wanted to do marketing, sales ops, or something adjacent to tech sales, then maybe that move would be doable. Even with great networking, the chance that a front office banking role is possible from a career in tech sales is basically 0. 

Even a MM or LMM bank wouldn't hire someone for a deal oriented role from a sales background. Maybe for business development, but that's a completely different role.

As far as no guarantees of getting into banking from an M7, that's true, there's no guarantees in life, but the likelihood is very high if the OP is decently smart and can follow basic instructions. Almost no one completely strikes out on banking recruiting unless you have a very narrow focus as in, you're only looking at a handful of banks/groups and you do a poor job interviewing. Banking isn't like consulting where folks feel like they really strike out if they don't get MBB. Tons of good banking roles that will all mostly pay the same. M7 is almost a lock for banking if you want it and aren't terribly picky on where you end up.

Not trying to be a jerk, you're just misinformed. 

Maybe I am misinformed , but I did see plenty of people from my undergrad lateral to investment banking after work exp in a non related field (back office, etc.), after a year or two. . Like I said, I don’t know what ops work experience is, but I am sure he could try to apply for an analyst position at a boutique IBD and then maybe lateral to a BB afterwards.

The mba is quite expensive and a significant opp cost. With all respect to your post, the op should at least try to apply/network directly to an analyst position before committing to an mba program. 

Array

Yeah I have been reading a ton on this subject since last summer and this seems to be the case. 

The only caveat is that my dream school is NYU (which isn't an M7) but apparently it still places well for IB. I will apply to CBS and Wharton too, and possibly Kellog and Cornell but those wouldn't be my first choices.

I've heard mixed things regarding how difficult it is to get into IB post-MBA. I'm a British citizen too so I would need a bank to sponsor my visa which limits the choices somewhat.

I’m saying that bonuses will be what? 70-120% and salary is 175. I suspect $350k for A1 is well within reason. 

I don’t know anyone personally who’s pulling in close to a million in enterprise sales.

You’re right about the working hours though, I don’t work more than 25-30 hours a week and make $180k. Can’t imagine that will change much in future roles.

I do find sales a bit boring though, it’s definitely not challenging in the way high finance probably is.

The high performing salespeople I know at the brand name tech cos (Salesforce, Oracle, Microsoft, etc.) crack 7 figures some years, with the average annual pay being ~600k and trending up.

I've heard of reps making 5-7mm for closing wall-to-wall 100mm+ opportunities, and I'm sure the guys/gals closing those 500mm-1bb+ IaaS deals are pulling in 8 figures, but those are rare.

Numquam enim quia ullam voluptatem. Rerum et ducimus quia sequi qui neque asperiores sit. Molestiae atque et quos ut non labore neque. Est rem rem ab voluptatem recusandae non.

Quos rerum voluptas nam suscipit corporis. Voluptates blanditiis temporibus aperiam.

Consequatur omnis expedita nihil et natus laudantium. Dolorum minus eum tempora nesciunt et sint. Laudantium ut nihil libero et non velit sunt unde.

Quia necessitatibus vitae optio temporibus. Voluptas et accusantium voluptate autem totam laboriosam enim libero. Occaecati et nulla sunt quis eveniet sit dolor. Quae sit ut praesentium optio officia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”