HK BB IBD/CM 2012 SA Social (Future Colleagues Thread)

Updated 2/7/2012:

All BB offers are out so which bank will u join next summer?
ill keep the posted updated.

GS:
MS:
JPM: Papagogo,
DB: rossgs210,
CS:
Citi:
UBS:
BAML:
BarCap: algorhythm,

In regards to applying to two locations I've always been told it's fine but they expect you to select just one after the first round interview. This is in the context of NYC vs Houston though. May be different internationally.

BrokenBanana:
rossgs210, did you hear back from MS?

I was told after my first round interview with MS last weekend that they might let us know by the end of this week for second round...

asianracist:
rossgs: just wondering did you apply well before the deadline?
i updated the thread based on my friends' and mine application status. so cannot answer your question. :)

does it look bad to apply to many different locations for the same BB (all IB tho, not IB and then CM and S&T)

ex: UBS LA UBS San Fran healthcare UBS NY financial sponsors group UBS Chicago

my thought, would just increase my chances for all these different groups applying to, but now might show im not stable or dnt knw what i want? truth is, il work in a basement if i learn M&A from a BB IB, so ya i dnt care where i am, i just want the experience!

does it look bad to apply to many different locations for the same BB (all IB tho, not IB and then CM and S&T)

ex: UBS LA UBS San Fran healthcare UBS NY financial sponsors group UBS Chicago

my thought, would just increase my chances for all these different groups applying to, but now might show im not stable or dnt knw what i want? truth is, il work in a basement if i learn M&A from a BB IB, so ya i dnt care where i am, i just want the experience!

algorhythm:
did interview with barcap SNT, and socgen SNT last week. any news on ACs coming up?

got invite for GS SNT but the team never called within specified time lol... wtf?

So what are you going to do? Did you get it rescheduled?

Shadymonkey:
algorhythm:
did interview with barcap SNT, and socgen SNT last week. any news on ACs coming up?

got invite for GS SNT but the team never called within specified time lol... wtf?

So what are you going to do? Did you get it rescheduled?

an associate emailed me rescheduling it.

algorhythm:
do you guys know if different divisions get recruited via separate methods? and then all applicants pooled together for Superday?

Yes, as far as I know, recruiting is separate for different divisions.

Submitted my Barcap and Citi asia apps on November 29. Both still say "still under consideration". I see ppl have been getting 1st rounds..Anybody know what that means for me? Rejected?? Waitlisted? Or still hope for a 1st round interview?

Submitted my Barcap and Citi asia apps on November 29. Both still say "still under consideration". I see ppl have been getting 1st rounds..Anybody know what that means for me? Rejected?? Waitlisted? Or still hope for a 1st round interview?

moose58:
i think they're still giving out interviews.my friend got a CS interview two weeks before i was notified of mine. so hang in there :) maybe in the next couple of days

but barcap interviewer did say that they're going to notify of second round by early next week.

Awesome thanks for letting me know. Still kinda weird how my app is still under consideration though......was wondering if you can let me know what was asked in the interview and how it went. can you pm me or reply? thanks!

algorhythm:
i heard JPM has already done first round, even singapore is doing second round already
Hi Algorhythm, you sure JPM done first round???? I dont understand since I am chosen by almost all the top four for first round but JPM dinged me that is just.......sad...

For all of you guys who haven't gotten a 1st round interview yet:

When you log into your application, do you see that you got rejected or do you see that "your app is under consideration" Because all of my apps are still under consideration...

coldplayfan:
For all of you guys who haven't gotten a 1st round interview yet:

When you log into your application, do you see that you got rejected or do you see that "your app is under consideration" Because all of my apps are still under consideration...

i heard that some statuses stay like that even after offers are out. i'm guessing the banks aren't very good at changing those...

Papagogo:
moose58:
btw, do you guys know how many rounds the interviews are? just first round and super day or is there an extra round in between?

I think first round and then super day. By the way, how much time does a typical analyst spend on building models in locations like Hong Kong comparing to places like London NY or Singapore?

according to my interviewer the barcap superday is next for successful ppl who made it after telephone interview.

Shadymonkey:
Sorry to hear that. But it's too early to give up just yet. There are still some good banks that haven't reached out, at least I am not aware.
thx for ur kind words. heard nothing from GS, JPM, CS or BarCap. im checking my inbox every 3-5 mins after midnight. the process is just excruciating.

rossgs210:
Shadymonkey:
Sorry to hear that. But it's too early to give up just yet. There are still some good banks that haven't reached out, at least I am not aware.
thx for ur kind words. heard nothing from GS, JPM, CS or BarCap. im checking my inbox every 3-5 mins after midnight. the process is just excruciating.

hang in there, totally know what you mean haha, i check my emails at like 6am and then go back to sleep all this week haha

moose58:
algorhythm:
just got invited to barcap ac (superday).
when did u do your first round?

my sign up options for telephone interview (assuming candidates are in a batch) was either dec. 2, dec. 6, or dec. 7.

i picked dec. 2, got a confirmation email that i sat the interview on dec. 5, got superday invite on dec. 15.

Finally get JPM first round invite: Here is mine:--ALL IBD ONLY CS: First round done JPM: First round invite GS HK: First round done GS BJ: First round in a few hours MS: Second round in NY done few weeks ago NOmura: SUper day invited BAML: pending DB: pending UBS: pending Citi:pending Barcap: did not even apply because its recruiting event in NY sucks Barcap NY: first round--through alumni

I assumed I will get all the other BB first round in HK. But those are all my second choice. I want GOLDMAN BEIJING the most!!

Papagogo:
Finally get JPM first round invite: Here is mine:--ALL IBD ONLY CS: First round done JPM: First round invite GS HK: First round done GS BJ: First round in a few hours MS: Second round in NY done few weeks ago NOmura: SUper day invited BAML: pending DB: pending UBS: pending Citi:pending Barcap: did not even apply because its recruiting event in NY sucks Barcap NY: first round--through alumni

I assumed I will get all the other BB first round in HK. But those are all my second choice. I want GOLDMAN BEIJING the most!!

just beware, my gs beijing interviews were all in mandarin, even the technical parts. >.

Does anyone know how interviews are given out for summer asia IBD. Are the interviews done separately by locations (example: are candidates applying Barcap HK IBD matched up against other HK IBD candidates or all Asia) or are all locations given out at once?

moose58:
to algorhythm: thanks!

just wondering, do u guys know if they do target and non target school recruiting together for asia?

moose when did u do your interview? i just finished my second phone interview this morning (interviewer's skype wasnt working). im frm a uk school.. and judging by algorhythm's status, im assuming non targets are later than the target schools' campus recruitment? it makes sense... they will always be the first cut -_-

gnalk:
moose58:

just wondering, do u guys know if they do target and non target school recruiting together for asia?

moose when did u do your interview? i just finished my second phone interview this morning (interviewer's skype wasnt working). im frm a uk school.. and judging by algorhythm's status, im assuming non targets are later than the target schools' campus recruitment? it makes sense... they will always be the first cut -_-

i finished my interviews yesterday (i go to a u.s. target) and they said we should know by early next week.

recruiting's so hazy for asia haha. no specific timeline for any of the firms.

gnalk:
moose58:

is this barcap?

AC = assessment centre, which is the UK equivalent of superday most banks have 1st rounds than final rounds, but some has another round in between.

anyway. i found the 1st rounds in Asia much more difficult than the UK ones. I almost got killed on a couple of occasions.

scholsey_18:
AC = assessment centre, which is the UK equivalent of superday most banks have 1st rounds than final rounds, but some has another round in between.

anyway. i found the 1st rounds in Asia much more difficult than the UK ones. I almost got killed on a couple of occasions.

in terms of technicals? what kinda questions did they ask?

i dont think barcap does target/non-target, at least not for UK unis I'm from oxbridge and am still waiting for news after my first round... also the earliest Trading+Structuring AC for London interns last year was full of people from the UK 'semi-targets'/'non-target'

DB and UBS were quite late in holding first rounds (think early/mid Jan) last year as well so I'm assuming it would be the same this year

Does anyone know what is the best way to know the deals each bank did recently? I will interview with JPM soon and I expect them to ask me deal questions...

Any input is welcomE!!!

algorhythm:
jellybeans:
Good luck to you too!

Too bad couldn't have met up at the superday, are you applying for a HK internship? i'm applying for one in singapore..

jelly beans how are you preparing for your AC? any snt links u can share?

I've not yet had timeto prepare as i've got finals coming this monday!! Probably use google to look up some stuff. good luck in your prep!

notyetamonkey:
fc912:
GS IBD superday is out. 1/14 in NYC. I can't make it though. Email says to contact them if you can't make 1/14 and they'll arrange something. Does anyone know whether they have superdays in HK?

When was it out? Thx!!

The email was sent a couple hours before I posted here.

algorhythm:
Matt919:
goldman hk snt second round invites coming out this week

how do u know?

I emailed someone on their HR team. He said invitations were being sent out throughout this week, and he made it sound as if superday will be next weekend.

Qui delectus beatae quod voluptatem et. Ad tempora dicta recusandae rerum. Cumque ut cumque inventore sequi eos. Excepturi cupiditate dolorem sed minima quisquam sed. Ipsa dignissimos error assumenda labore nobis architecto dolor est. Harum optio eveniet ut occaecati.

Deserunt temporibus ea eos quibusdam eligendi esse nostrum. Debitis nam nobis assumenda. Nulla dolores et veniam temporibus itaque vel a.

Pariatur et quaerat voluptatem voluptatem ut repellat. Eum aspernatur suscipit consectetur magni. Tempore saepe quasi dolorem sunt iure debitis. Eaque eveniet ut cum doloribus nulla. In ab suscipit omnis libero amet consequatur perferendis. Est minima vero dolorem natus distinctio vitae possimus. Ut qui modi eum voluptates ut doloribus.

Eos sequi mollitia vitae ex reprehenderit magnam mollitia. Cumque eveniet excepturi reprehenderit. Velit minus enim voluptate dolor autem omnis.

Vero facilis ea et rerum error numquam facilis. Animi sunt pariatur laboriosam velit. Et libero architecto maiores laborum. Quos excepturi nesciunt maxime dignissimos consequuntur corrupti.

Rerum quia ea voluptatem tenetur delectus. Quae expedita voluptate rerum praesentium fuga aut. Itaque qui nihil nisi explicabo nobis. Consequatur nulla similique qui culpa pariatur qui.

Rerum aut rem ut. Distinctio quasi tenetur et ut aspernatur omnis.

Accusantium qui dolorum veritatis velit quaerat voluptas porro. Quaerat quis quis voluptas laboriosam.

Ut dolorem voluptates accusantium laboriosam. Fugiat perferendis dolores ut. Hic suscipit qui consequatur consequatur culpa rerum. Unde quo nobis ut reprehenderit sed magni dolores.

Ut quas accusamus inventore est alias. Consequatur quod et vel quos et molestiae optio. Aliquid et sapiente iusto ut ut ipsum qui. Incidunt qui dolorem vel dignissimos.

Fuga quod inventore voluptatem sed quam minus. Consequatur assumenda dolorum quidem eaque consequatur. Expedita aut odio dignissimos est quidem vel. Tempora asperiores modi corrupti labore voluptates cum placeat. Atque dolor reiciendis enim eligendi.

Sunt nihil ratione vitae quos repellendus perspiciatis. Sed quia aut reiciendis est molestias nemo. Fugit praesentium veniam perferendis et et eligendi.

Soluta dolorem nisi ratione et. Voluptas voluptate expedita temporibus dolor sunt sed. Aliquid doloribus officia dolor aperiam. Dolore inventore distinctio sit nobis error veniam ullam. Delectus sequi adipisci enim ducimus non.

Illo itaque recusandae quis. Numquam aperiam minus accusantium quis neque aperiam. Velit et suscipit repellat excepturi.

Provident delectus aut ut cumque natus rem et. Aliquam unde sed reiciendis necessitatibus at. Officiis in dicta at ut eos harum.

Reiciendis necessitatibus occaecati quasi possimus quas. Non provident voluptas qui dolorem consequuntur rerum.

Quae itaque quia beatae ab ipsum. Quas ipsa quia rerum debitis et reprehenderit fugit consequatur. Magni nostrum et ut quo perferendis odio est. Expedita nostrum sint voluptas est officiis vero. Cumque repellendus est ratione animi. Est officia sit sequi explicabo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”