House passes Ron Paul’s Fed audit measure with a 397-98 vote

In a move that serves as a capstone to Rep. Ron Paul’s colorful career, the House on Wednesday voted to have Congress‘ chief investigators conduct a full audit of the Federal Reserve’s shrouded decision-making process.

The overwhelming 327-98 vote sends the measure to the Senate, where Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, at one time expressed support for an audit — though he reportedly has changed his mind.

House passage already marks a high-water mark for those who for years have been pushing for an audit, led by Mr. Paul. The Texan rode the slogan “Audit the Fed” to prominence in two Republican presidential primary campaigns, and he said the bill is a chance for Congress to begin to reclaim the money and banking powers it is given in the Constitution, but had delegated to the Fed.

“It is up to us to reassert ourselves,” Mr. Paul said during floor debate Tuesday.

Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke doesn’t like the prospect of such a broad audit, calling it a “nightmare scenario” last week and saying it would lead to politicians second-guessing his decisions.

Opposition in Congress came chiefly from Democratic leaders, who said they doubt the bill ever becomes law — but worried about sending a signal to financial markets that lawmakers want to intervene in financial affairs.

“It seems to me what we’re talking about is taking some fake punches at the Federal Reserve but not doing anything serious,” said Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee.

Every top Democratic leader voted against the bill, including Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and Whip Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, along with 95 other Democrats and one Republican, Rep. Robert L. Turner of New York.

Read more here:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/25/h…

Don't the Dems understand that their constituents are the ones getting screwed by the Fed's policies? I guess they can vote against auditing the Fed because their constituents don't even know they're getting screwed.

All I care about in life is accumulating bananas

notamonkey:
Don't the Dems understand that their constituents are the ones getting screwed by the Fed's policies? I guess they can vote against auditing the Fed because their constituents don't even know they're getting screwed.

how so? (i'm really asking btw)

Baby you're the perfect shape, baby you're the perfect weight. Treat me like my birthday, I want it this way and I want it that way. It makes a man feel good baby.

Ron Paul:
JeffSkilling:
Wonder where Rombot stands on this bill.
you could ask him, and he might answer, but you still wouldn't know

He'll say something like this:

'' You know, I made it clear in my previous statements that Bernanke would not be re-appointed. I think that we need a Federal Reserve that is accountable, that is transparent and that works for the american people. But we also need an independant FED. Any expert would tell you how crucial that is.''

notamonkey][quote=Abdel:
Harry Reid: "I think we should audit the Federal Reserve" -1995

]

"he was for it before he was against it"

the bible's agginit, God's agginit, an' i'm aggin it too!

cplpayne:
Khansian:
Auditing the Fed is a horrible idea.

Care to elaborate?

For the simple reason that is usually given. The Fed, and our short and long-term economic/monetary policy, should be as far removed from political pressure as reasonably possible, so as to avoid being influenced by politicians' whims that change with every election season.

GoodBread:
the idea of Congress being in charge of monetary policy is downright terrifying.
Very true, I agree.

But, giving monetary policy powers to any central planner, be it Congress or a Central Bank, is less ideal than having a truly free market monetary system and economy.

As Ron Paul said, “The problem isn’t with the choices made by central bankers. The problem is that they possess the power to make any choice at all.”

I'd say there's plenty of problems with the choices being made by the Fed. If there weren't, I doubt this issue would really have come up. The Free Banking era was characterized by some periods of very sharp inflation and recurrent bank failures. The frequency of banking crises under the National Banks system is what spurred the creation of the Fed. I think it would be disingenuous to claim that letting "the market" set interest rates guarantees us better outcomes in light of actual history. And no, this should not be a matter of "principle". We're talking about the economy and the American people's livelihood here. Long-term pragmatism (to paraphrase a concept Goldman Sachs forgot about long ago) is what is needed here, not some high-brow view of "what is right."

GoodBread:
I'd say there's plenty of problems with the choices being made by the Fed. If there weren't, I doubt this issue would really have come up. The Free Banking era was characterized by some periods of very sharp inflation and recurrent bank failures. The frequency of banking crises under the National Banks system is what spurred the creation of the Fed. I think it would be disingenuous to claim that letting "the market" set interest rates guarantees us better outcomes in light of actual history. And no, this should not be a matter of "principle". We're talking about the economy and the American people's livelihood here. Long-term pragmatism (to paraphrase a concept Goldman Sachs forgot about long ago) is what is needed here, not some high-brow view of "what is right."
What is not just "right" but also economically ideal is to allow savers and spenders to freely negotiate and agree on what interest rates they will charge on investments/loans. But the Fed interferes with this process by manipulating the risk free rate which alters interest rates throughout the rest of savings and loans market. Only investors/lenders, and the companies/projects they invest in, should be deciding interest rates.

No, what spurred the creation of the fed was propaganda and powerful bankers who wanted more power, the ability to privatize their profits and largely socialize losses. They get to lever up without worry because they get a lender of last resort, and also there's FDIC. Banks reap the benefits of fed policy, not the common man. So please don't say it's not about what's "right" because "we're talking about the economy and the American people's livelihood here" because the Fed has done nothing but destroy livelihood. They've done this most notably in recent years by fueling the "great recession" which we all know about of course, but more generally they have always fueled booms and busts by fueling excessive credit expansion beyond what is sustainable. When you manipulate rates beyond where the market would decide they should be, bad investments WILL be made and the economy will pay the price eventually.

What's "right" is also what is economically ideal i.e. no federal central planning or interference in the monetary markets. Tax and income redistribution is central planning too, but different topic not relevant here.

Quam quibusdam laborum nihil ipsa perferendis atque. Commodi a omnis architecto recusandae incidunt quaerat quisquam. Aut sunt nisi exercitationem dolorem ut sunt quasi. Id reprehenderit quod tempora officia et quo. Dolor corporis unde cum ut suscipit repudiandae qui.

Nisi molestiae explicabo similique ea. Voluptatibus ut ullam id quidem sed enim. Sint similique et cupiditate ipsa magni sapiente. Qui laboriosam cupiditate eum nihil ab odio sunt quis. Ut aspernatur sit explicabo asperiores illo a. Recusandae expedita quisquam at natus numquam. Culpa reprehenderit sed velit atque.

Deleniti beatae eos recusandae neque aperiam. Aliquid consequatur exercitationem autem maiores animi. Minima nisi modi odio aut. Voluptas ut nihil aliquid libero facilis. Ea fugiat officiis deserunt est similique. Ex libero qui porro asperiores quos ut quae odit.

Best Response

Et incidunt quas id a officia. Voluptatem cum totam neque non eaque. Voluptatem dolorem ut veritatis id.

Quia a animi enim sed velit sapiente sit rem. Sapiente dicta est ut voluptatem dolorem occaecati omnis. Consectetur nihil quasi sit quibusdam. Modi quia similique quasi ad eaque earum. Et ducimus et reprehenderit dolorem sapiente magnam voluptates.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”