HOUSTON SUMMER INTERN 2020 THREAD

Hi All,

I will be interning at a BB in Houston for the summer. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the following areas:

Housing - Best areas/areas to avoid, etc.
Nightlife - Where are the best places to go? Things to do?
Apartments - What is the typical rent? Should I get a roommate?
Weather - What is the weather in Houston like during the summer? Is it really that hot?
Other - any other areas that should be covered.

Feel free to put anything in here. Also, if you will also be interning in Houston for the 2020 summer, PM me!

Most Helpful

You want to live inside the 610 Loop. 1 bedroom rent is probably $1,300 to $1,600 inside the loop, so you may want a roommate depending on your budget. There are many good areas, Midtown or the Heights have a good mix of nightlife access and proximately to downtown, but are expensive.

Cheaper rents are available, but that means more of a commute.

Housing - Midtown/Washington. downtown is starting to get more apartments but they're on the pricy side Nightlife - Midtown will be good if you're still in college. Washington tends to be young twenties and heights late twenties Apartments - $1,300-$1,500 for a one bed, I'd go for a roommate but I'm very cheap. Weather - As hot and humid as you've heard.

I'm definitely going to try and find a roommate. Should I pay a little bit extra for a fully furnished apartment given I will only be there for the summer? Also, do you have any apartment complex suggestions? Thank you!

Let's just say I walked home from work (1ish miles) and the sole of my shoe fell off from the heat. If you are ok walking in 100 degree heat (feels like 110) then its ok. But in order to get most places, you need a car. I lived in Montrose, but was about .9 miles from the cool bars/restaurants.My summer would have been way better if I had a car.

I would agree with much of the information above. I wanted to also make a point about the tunnel system in Houston.

Many people don't know this but Houston has a fantastic tunnel network underneath many of the buildings downtown. There are endless restaurants for quick lunches and shopping if you have time. You might even be able to access these tunnels directly from your office building, which will limit you having to go outside.

Try to use these tunnel networks as much as you can to avoid walking outside in the intense summer heat.

People serioulsy need to stop recommending the heights to college interns lol...

Find a place in midtown - the best thing you can do is situate yourself as close as possible to the red line of the metro. Walk from your apartment to the metro, red line goes dead center Main St. in Downtown (probably 5-10 min from Mcgowen station in midtown). On days it rains, take a $6 uber.

Being that you're in college, midtown will be your party spot with occasional excursions to DT and Washington. Living in midtown will put you in any of these spots in under 10 min via uber or walking.

And yes, it's hot, very hot and very humid.

Look on Airbnb for housing so you get a fully furnished apartment! I would recommend a roommate to save money. Also, the weather is very hot so be prepared for some sweat. Live as close as you can to downtown but it’s not worth it to pay outrageous rent. I lived 15 min away during my internship and it wasn’t too bad at all. Also, most banks will pay for your Uber’s home if you work late, so i Ubered to and from work each day and only had to pay for my Uber there each day.

best area to avoid: houston.

congrats on the internship my guy.

Thank you for your interest in the 2020 Investment Banking Full-time Analyst Programme (London) at JPMorgan Chase. After a thorough review of your application, we regret to inform you that we are unable to move forward with your candidacy at this time.

Aspernatur unde a dicta aut explicabo. Blanditiis repudiandae modi esse. Sunt velit dolore nulla.

Aut eos autem labore qui unde beatae necessitatibus. Reprehenderit id quia ratione sint ratione sed. Dignissimos rem excepturi qui consequatur vel dolores.

Aspernatur eum voluptatem accusantium possimus. Harum est perferendis ab sint tenetur minus. Et vel deserunt et similique et officia sint.

Quis enim accusantium aperiam molestiae laborum laboriosam sit nihil. Iure et minus impedit magni consequuntur. Tempore sed quia consequuntur. Est distinctio id assumenda eaque ipsam et. Aut quae repellat debitis vel quis sed. Repellendus sed doloribus iure necessitatibus laboriosam distinctio.

Ut laboriosam natus aut est ut pariatur earum. Consectetur fuga vitae animi sint. Earum et odit corporis qui. Minima et quisquam recusandae nisi. Ut sint mollitia doloribus ipsam impedit error. Aut earum aliquid qui quisquam velit aliquid est eligendi.

Impedit numquam neque molestias. Non ullam ut omnis sed explicabo nisi sed praesentium. Quisquam sunt mollitia quis nulla exercitationem et ut. Voluptas necessitatibus fuga esse non.

Thank you for your interest in the 2020 Investment Banking Full-time Analyst Programme (London) at JPMorgan Chase. After a thorough review of your application, we regret to inform you that we are unable to move forward with your candidacy at this time.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”