How bad is 3.68??

Hi all

I am a first year MBA student (@ non target school). I am desperately trying to get a summer internship at an I Bank, but till now either I haven't back or have got regrets.

Being good at finance, I felt that I would be able to convert even a single interview into an offer, but looks like my at my GPA I wont even get that.

Any views? Should I continue to look for I banking or should I just drop it and start looking for some baby sitting opportunities?

its not your GPA that's hurting you... is recruiting season over for you anyways? from what I gather, banks are still sorting through applications.

PLEASE DONT CHANGE EXCEL SHORTCUTS!!!

other problem that I see is that only one I bank, that too BB, visited my school till now and I don't see ANY other on the career center listings....

I really don't know about the online application process for the non target schools, but have a strong feeling that those really don't have any back end....

anyways if you guys feel that GPA is not a problem then what could be the likely reasons in your opinion?

Oh yeah, if you were applying on the company's website, then it's quite possible that you were applying to a circular file. You will need to apply through your career center; hopefully they have strong enough relationships with the banks to get your resume in front of the right people.

Personally, I think the problem is that your school isn't working very hard to get you guys into i-banking. Hell, my school has been working hard on that for years -- over half of each year's class is aiming for bulge-bracket i-banking -- and only three to five get in per year. If your school isn't at least that focused, it'll be hard to ever place anyone.

Mis Ind you are spot on, but what could those people do if the industry doesn't look at the school as a feeder program and the fact that it means fewer alums in the industry doesn't help either.

Every time I talk to people, I get the "Networking solution", thrown at me. but it's any body's guess how powerful a network an international student can build, when there aren't so many alums working in the industry of his choice.

Anyways I don't know why I am saying this, but guess it helps me vent out some of the frustration build up.

Best Response

Most people who are in a good position to build networks already have them. It's all well and good to talk about it, but you have to have something to offer people in order to earn their help. That's why the networking solution didn't work for me. I'm a poor kid from the South... why would someone waste their time talking to me?

My solution was a 4.0 GPA along with no disqualifying aspects. That way I just automatically slipped through all the nets to the interviews. At a 3.68, you'll have to find other ways. I suggest working in an easy-to-get internship (wealth management or the like) while honing your GPA. This steers you more towards IB.

Et inventore rerum doloremque exercitationem rem facere. Hic molestias consequatur neque dolores et ut voluptatem. Recusandae aperiam et fugit magnam. Et aut molestiae nesciunt enim et at.

Vero accusantium culpa alias. Cum aperiam officia illum modi quam perferendis voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”