How competitive is F500 Finance?

I am a senior at a non target and will graduate with around a 3.3 Cum gpa and 3.8 Finance gpa. I have 3 years of wealth management and business development experience. Do I have a shot at landing a decent role?

Depends on role, company, and location. There's also a big difference between getting a job at one of the 10 largest, and #478 or something.

Your experience is competitive and better than most that come into my company (F100 FLDP). You should better define what kind of position you want. I'd start looking at fldps in companies you're interested in.

PM Whatever you want, but as my title states, I'm a 1st year. Don't know how much I can help.

Again, sophomore interns vary by company. My first internship was as a sophomore at a "small F500" and they took a few, but that wasn't remotely finance related (Data Analytics). My current company takes a few. I'd say 2-3 in a class of 20. But those people either networked hard, are from the area, or have connections. Can be done though.

I've been in at 2 F500 companies and agree with Anarchyz11 100%.

There's not enough information to make a full assessment, but based on your gpa I'd say you're on par with the FLPDs at my prior company and better than most traditional analyst hires at both companies. (my current company doesnt have an FLDP program)

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

i definitely think that a rotational program would be good for me. I would like to be at a F100 company if possible but not sure on the specific industry. Tech or healthcare would probably be top picks but I am not picky as long as it's a good company with a good culture.

Don't just limit to F100. There are several toward the latter end of F500 which have been growing pretty quick and could be a good place to move up in.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

Best Response

FDLP is probably your best bet for getting "the most bang for your buck". Your prior experience will mean little for the typical F100 corp. fin. jobs and will be viewed more favorably in the FDLP recruiting process. Being from a non-target I wouldn't say F100 or bust. If you want "large" one of the newer ones like Walmart may be a good bet and is "Fortune 1"- but I doubt a 3.3 non-target would really have access to GE, Boeing, etc. Comcast MIGHT consider you but that's iffy if they don't recruit at your school. If you go just below the F100 group you may also find quite a few corporate finance jobs with an impressive name to start with on your resume.

Honestly, Big 4 public accounting wouldn't be a bad idea either - two to four years would set you up to get interviews for some great jobs as a senior independent contributor in corporate finance roles (Sr. FP&A, Associate Manager in Planning, etc.).

Don't feel like not getting an F100 job right of the bat sets you up as a failure, someone can still have a great career by starting with a solid foundation and making strategic moves early on.

Dolorem quidem occaecati omnis quia. Voluptatem asperiores adipisci nostrum perferendis excepturi quibusdam. Cupiditate accusantium alias assumenda enim. Consequatur neque aspernatur id est quibusdam hic ut.

Assumenda eum distinctio hic quasi dicta error aut. Accusamus et quia ex fuga molestiae ex atque. Sed suscipit nostrum et eum voluptas earum totam eum. Quia est voluptate amet. Sapiente optio temporibus fugiat sunt amet quisquam.

Quia aut veritatis aut sit nesciunt necessitatibus. Nisi officia quae voluptatum numquam. Perferendis quia ex sunt aliquid repudiandae accusantium. Reiciendis adipisci minima vel enim vero. Reprehenderit explicabo commodi voluptas dicta alias odio.

Repudiandae ut exercitationem vero commodi quis. Ut architecto doloremque dignissimos occaecati rerum. Molestias dolore tempore ut perspiciatis qui est exercitationem. Libero non iure molestias tempore ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”