How do I negotiate a later start date after signing the offer due to work authorization?

TonyF's picture
Rank: Chimp | 10

Hi, I'm a master student on F1 visa and graduating this May 15. I got an offer from a big company (a bank) two weeks ago and the start date on it is May 21. However, I applied for OPT around late March and expect to get work authorization around late June. The problem was that I was afraid of losing this offer at that time so I didn't brought up this actively while talking to hr and already signed it (I did mention that my work authorization might not be approved on the start date but the hr didn't follow up about that). I think I should follow up with them ASAP for their convenience. Do you have any suggestions that can make them more comfortable and willing to delay the start date for, up to 3 or 4 weeks?

Comments (3)

Apr 30, 2018

Hey TonyF, I'm the WSO Monkey any of these help:

  • Paying Back Gross Sign On Bonus So I quit my job at a BB and have to pay back the signing bonus. When I received the 10k sign on ... wasn't necessary to pay back the sign on bonus even if the bank wanted it back. jankynoname- Asset ... going to be out the taxes, either way. Do I Have <
  • MBB sign on bonus and relocation assistance what is the typical sign on bonus like? Also, they have been vague about the amount of relocation ... Any help is much appreciated. mbb relocation sign on ... I recently received an offer from an MBB firm for a post-MBA consultant position. I have a couple ...
  • Repayment of sign on bonus? I need to return the full amount of the signing bonus. I have accepted a job offer elsewhere now and am ... trying to figure out how to quit without being on the hook for signing bonus. I want to give 2 week ... There's a clause in my offer that states if I voluntarily quit my job within
  • First thing I bought with my sign-on... sign-on or celebrated landing a job? I know it seems foolish to spend so much cash before even starting ... , and signed the contract today... and went and spent half of my sign on on a Rolex.. I had my eye on ... So I know there have been posts like this before, but what the heck... I just decided on an offer ...
  • Sign-on bonus?? Dollar dollar bills ya'll... plus I would request a sign-on of $5k-$10k to assist with my relocation. How does this sound? Fair? ... However, he did not get a sign-on of any kind...which I feel might be the case for me given their lower ... hence the "need" for a sign-on. Regards comp sign-on bonus ...
  • BB relocation/sign on bonus My bb in hk doesn't seem to have the 10k sign on/relocation bonus > < is anyone else in ... same situation? Does anyone know how I can negotiate it with the bank? (having already accepted, does ... it mean there's no leverage to negotiate on my behalf?) Thanks! ...
  • Sign-on Bonus/Relocation Assistance not paid until job start? 2 months in advance of start date. Anyone have similar experiences? signing bonus relocation broke ... assistance until my start date which is in September. I don't understand--what's the point of ... So my bank (BB) HR just emailed me that I wouldn't be getting my signing bonus AKA relocation ...
  • More suggestions...

If we're lucky, the following pros may have something to say: @thebrofessor @scottwilson @ayneenjay

I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.

May 8, 2018

Just explain that your work authorization won't be ready until late June. You can ask if there is anything you can do to make sure you hit the ground running, but frankly there isn't much you can do. Unless this is a really structured program or they're in desperate need of a new hire, then they should be pretty understanding. Maybe just include that you're following up regarding the possible delay in visa that you had mentioned previously

May 8, 2018