How good are these for undergrad?

Everyone knows about how good at placements targets are - how about these non-targets?

Give seperate ratings for S&T/IBD/ and HF and P/E if applicable (I doubt this)
Baruch Macaulay
University of Maryland Smith (Does the Senbet Fund make a difference?)
Carnegie Mellon - Tepper
Carnegie Mellon - Mellon College of Science (Math)
Carnegie Mellon - Bachelors in Computational Finance

Thanks!

They all suck pretty badly.

Don't know about placements, I assume they're terrible.

I can almost guarantee you than no one from those schools goes directly to PE.

Here are my ratings from 0 to 10, where 0 is basically the same as not going to college at all and 10 is Harvard. Baruch Macaulay - IBD: 1/10, S&T: 1/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 University of Maryland Smith - IBD: 0/10, S&T: 0/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 Carnegie Mellon - Tepper - IBD: 2/10, S&T: 2/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 Carnegie Mellon - Mellon College of Science (Math) - IBD: 2/10, S&T: 3/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 Carnegie Mellon - Bachelors in Computational Finance - IBD: 2/10, S&T: 3/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10

dukeofduke:

Here are my ratings from 0 to 10, where 0 is basically the same as not going to college at all and 10 is Harvard. Baruch Macaulay - IBD: 1/10, S&T: 1/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 University of Maryland Smith - IBD: 0/10, S&T: 0/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 Carnegie Mellon - Tepper - IBD: 2/10, S&T: 2/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 Carnegie Mellon - Mellon College of Science (Math) - IBD: 2/10, S&T: 3/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10 Carnegie Mellon - Bachelors in Computational Finance - IBD: 2/10, S&T: 3/10, HF: 0/10, PE: 0/10

...Any other thoughts? I can't help but doubt these rankings, since I know that the BSCF at CMU has 100% placement...

Best Response
dukeofduke:

False on the PE comment, PE is entirely networking unless you are talking about a MF straight out of Wharton or Harvard. All MM firms that hire out of UG do so on an as need basis; so being lucky, having connections and making a great impression will carry more weigth than where you went to school. After working here for 10 months i can tell you the most important asset one can have at a low level in PE is not pissing anyone off and not fucking up...harder than it sounds.

HFFBALLfan123:
dukeofduke:

False on the PE comment, PE is entirely networking unless you are talking about a MF straight out of Wharton or Harvard. All MM firms that hire out of UG do so on an as need basis; so being lucky, having connections and making a great impression will carry more weigth than where you went to school. After working here for 10 months i can tell you the most important asset one can have at a low level in PE is not pissing anyone off and not fucking up...harder than it sounds.

In your opinion, true on everything else?

euroazn:
Then why is the maximum salary higher for Tepper? :S
Maximum salary? I'm telling you, as will 90% of the traders that you talk to, that a pure math background is USUALLY the best way to get in the door. As for IB, I have met some CMU grads in banking (most were at PNC for obvious reasons but you can get other places as well).
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

euroazn:
I'm not arguing that, I'm just trying to comprehend these figures: http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/career/Students/gps1/explore/survey/p… http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/career/Students/gps1/explore/survey/p…

Am I misinterpreting this, or are tepper students getting as many trading offers as math sci?

You should be looking at the mean and median, not the maximum. Outliers are meaningless. Looking at that, it looks like per capita placement into trading roles is about equal between the two degrees.

drexelalum11:
euroazn:
I'm not arguing that, I'm just trying to comprehend these figures: http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/career/Students/gps1/explore/survey/p… http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/career/Students/gps1/explore/survey/p…

Am I misinterpreting this, or are tepper students getting as many trading offers as math sci?

You should be looking at the mean and median, not the maximum. Outliers are meaningless. Looking at that, it looks like per capita placement into trading roles is about equal between the two degrees.

That is basically what I was getting at - same averages, but more upside to business.

I want to do the Bachelors of Computational Finance, but one applies their sophomore year in college (they only take 10 students.) If I did go to CMU, what major would you choose - business or mathematics?

euroazn:
drexelalum11:
euroazn:

That is basically what I was getting at - same averages, but more upside to business.

I want to do the Bachelors of Computational Finance, but one applies their sophomore year in college (they only take 10 students.) If I did go to CMU, what major would you choose - business or mathematics?

Personally, I think business is a shit degree, and especially shit at the undergrad level, so I would do math.

CMU's Computational Finance program is amazing. It's not particularly well known, but gets great recruiting and is incredibly interesting. I wish I had known about it when applying to undergrads. If you can get in, I would take it over many target schools.

CMU is also very well known for math (and ComSci). While you won't get the recruiting of the computational finance major, nobody will doubt your intelligence.

Tepper is kind of mediocre relative to the above. It's not bad by any means; in fact, I have been impressed by the Tepper grads I have met. It is just not a nationally recognized program like CMU's more quant majors.

Baruch has location going for it, and the associated (albeit not huge) alum presence on the street.

UMd I would generally avoid unless you are shooting for DC.

Give seperate ratings for S&T/IBD/ and HF and P/E if applicable (I doubt this)

Baruch Macaulay / UMD: if you are close to 4.0, you might get a couple of interviews. Very rare to see people from these schools getting the top jobs.

(Does the Senbet Fund make a difference?): the alumni network is valuable, but otherwise no. Small sample size here, but the people I know who worked at Senbet Fund tried for banking, almost all failed, and ended up in accounting.

Carnegie Mellon - Tepper: don't know anybody from here, not sure.

Carnegie Mellon math / CF: good. If you do well in either of these programs, your options open up tremendously, particularly in the direction of quant finance. Still not core "target" programs for most finance-related jobs. The few CMU kids I know went on to do high tech (i.e. Google/Microsoft) instead of finance. My impression is that recruitment is a bit skewed in that direction.

euroazn:
Thanks for your responses! It seems that if I want to do S&T, CMU is a clear winner. Are they all at about the same level in terms of IBD? More opinions always welcomed!

I'd do CMU Computational Finance, if you think you can get a good GPA. CMU is unfortunately a semi-target, so having that quant aspect is a helpful in answering the question of whether you are smart enough in recruiters' minds.

Likewise, it is computational FINANCE, so you don't have to sell them on why you want banking.

CMU is definitely a tier above Baruch and UMD. Baruch could get you slightly better networking, but I am sure CMU has plenty of alums on the street. The only way Baruch could give you an edge is through a school year internship, but it probably would not be particularly substantial...you could likely get similar experience at PWM branch around CMU.

I can't speak for the other programs/universities but I do know for a fact that UMD's senbet fund does deliver results.

Of course like many target programs, job opportunities for senbet fund members are still heavily dependent on networking but the differentiating factor lies in two key aspects:

1) real life/hands on experience through managing a university's endowment fund(going through a tedious pitching process that includes industry research, valuation (DCF,comps) and strong presentation skills + a realistic interview process on par with most bulge braket banks)

2) strong alumni network that knows what it takes to get into the fund and are 9.99x/10 more than willing to push you straight on to their VPs or above to get past that HR hurdle and straight into a superday

While it may be true that not all fund members have landed IBD/front office type jobs, this does not mean that these members were incapable. Many were simply not interested and I say this from firsthand experience speaking with them.

And if it really comes down to numbers, let me lay down the facts for you nice and easy:

7/12 members landed internships/full-time offers in bulge brackets last year alone.

PS

When making college decisions, I was accepted into both CMU (Tepper) and UMD. I chose UMD for financial reasons and made the best out of my experience, the senbet fund being one of them.

Alias tenetur consequuntur earum vel ea et. Aliquam sit ipsam cupiditate sit quod. Assumenda sed sed vero nostrum est enim consequatur. Est voluptates rerum aut quos officia nisi hic. Cumque dolor aut ipsam.

Non assumenda deleniti delectus saepe. Similique neque voluptatem eos amet molestiae quo. Repudiandae ut voluptatem qui omnis dolor doloribus harum. Qui necessitatibus ut repellendus impedit quae. Excepturi laudantium aspernatur aut amet voluptate quae est dignissimos.

Illo a cum at molestias praesentium vitae molestiae. Et modi corrupti expedita.

At ullam ut adipisci. Nobis quia et velit quo qui consequatur sit. Quia quod est et. Magnam vel quam et.

Iure rem omnis sed voluptatem a eius. Rerum nam consequuntur impedit nesciunt odio exercitationem earum. Autem blanditiis blanditiis magni nemo. Maxime praesentium blanditiis fuga fugiat perferendis beatae. Distinctio et qui velit.

Quidem saepe minus qui quibusdam velit quod. Nihil et corporis aut et facilis facere voluptates porro.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”