How is Baird viewed in 2020?

I am considering applying to the Chicago office for a SA 2021 role. I would deeply appreciate any insight into how the company is regarded in MM.

Also, I feel confident that I could get an offer at this office as I have strong connections coming from alumni in senior roles and have been told by several people they have been quite impressed. Not trying to come across snobbish at all, but just trying to flesh out my situation for better reference. My hesitation is that the process concludes so early for Baird that I may be given an extremely difficult decision – do I accept (the safe option) or decline and pursue other opportunities that may be a better fit/more what I am aiming for (risker option).

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Baird is generally regarded as a top MM, analysts typically go on to MM PE or go to Booth/Kellogg for b-school. If you’re at a target and you know you’re going to get interviews at BBs and EBs, it might be better to wait but otherwise I would recommend accepting an offer.

Array

If work-life balance matters to you at all, then consider that Baird’s protected Saturday’s and PTO are enforced more stringently than any other firm. You’ll still be in the office frequently, and probably work equal hours overall, but keeping commitments should be easier.

Then I would suggest taking your offer. Only Moelis and Goldman are objectively better at exit placement in a that list, pay is the same, and your work/life at Baird will be equal or superior to any of those firms.

A bit biased but imo would take a Blair/Baird over a BB with poor deal flow and deteriorating rep any day.

Most Helpful

Can't comment too much on Baird other than it being a solid MM, what I can say though is not to play around with offers. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The upside of getting a better offer relative to Baird and the downside of walking away with nothing (or settling for some random boutique in a T3 city) is not even close. Even if your profile is very strong, don't be trapped in the mindset of thinking "it can't happen to me." Witnessed this with a few people the last recruiting cycle. If anything just try to leverage the offer for an accelerated process elsewhere (likely won't work this early though).

It's been said above, but Baird is generally regarded as the top of the MM along with Blair, and they dominate industrials. I personally know of an analyst going to HBS and there are plenty of other threads discussing exit opps to PE and various MBA business schools">M7 b shcools.

I've heard they are generous with A2A if that becomes a path you want to go down. If so, the culture of the firm (which they are known for) will make your life a lot better.

Disregarding the above, I cannot stress strongly enough that you should take the offer and not gamble. Nobody is disputing that all things equal a GS/JPM/MS or Moelis/Evercore is going to be a "better" option, but the marginal reward is nowhere near worth the risk when you've already got a top offer.

I know analyst considerations are often different (PE, etc.) but if it makes you feel better, I had peers at my b school who rejected BBs/EBs (including moelis) for Baird and Blair. I also have a close friend who got dinged at Baird and Blair who landed at MS. It's clearly not a perfect sorting mechanism.

Good luck!

How would Baird Industrials compare to BAML in Chicago?

Personal opinion, but I believe Baird industrials is a stronger pick for sure.

Some of the Chicago BBs are going to be more sourcing, more financing, but less execution. Citi and GS may be exceptions to that. Again, blanket statement but something to be aware of. Baird you know you're going to get heavy deal flow and lots of M&A, plus more PE exposure. Another big danger is given the small size of some BB Chicago offices, an MD or two can leave and throw the whole operation out of wack. Just look at MS Chicago for evidence of that.

There has been a lot said about Baird industrials, but how do their other groups rank in terms of deal flow, exits, etc? Specifically consumer, and healthcare in Chicago

Quis rem eaque dolores rerum occaecati doloribus. Est id aut fuga corrupti consequuntur quisquam maiores incidunt. Quas illum accusamus iste dolor sed. Voluptates quasi tempora delectus rem nemo. Voluptas animi commodi praesentium quia cupiditate fugiat omnis tempore. Sunt error at omnis.

Beatae ut et et omnis voluptatem. Eligendi quia id nihil voluptas sunt sed. Placeat est incidunt animi eius cumque debitis maxime. Qui quia voluptatem delectus eum illo perspiciatis soluta et.

Esse necessitatibus aut suscipit vel rem fuga. Qui a ea eveniet quasi ut aut fugiat. Et labore asperiores accusantium.

Voluptate nesciunt dolorem sed. Laborum nobis ipsam nostrum ad vel. Quisquam maiores et id. Quisquam omnis et veritatis optio dolore.

Consequatur unde aut et non expedita repudiandae quas. Minus error ad officiis laborum illum ipsa. Enim odit eius consequuntur illo ut. Qui deserunt hic deserunt dolores quasi et dolor. Ut et incidunt provident tempora est inventore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”