How many of GS's 12,000 VP/ED are in FO?

michael grimes's picture

So after the whole greg smith thing, Blankfein said that there are about 12,000 VPs at Goldman. (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120314-71072...)
The number seems crazy to me considering a SA class (IBD, Securities, IMD combined) shouldn't exceed 300 in the US (or 1000 worldwide).

Considering less than half make it to VP. And they stay VP for 5 years, there should be no more than 2,500 VPs in FO worldwide. So does this mean there are almost 10,000 "Vice President" in BO?

Any one here knows the real number please share.

Comments (8)

Mar 16, 2012

Analyst classes are closer to 500

Mar 16, 2012

Thanks Monkeyman. Do you also know the number of global front office SA class?

Mar 16, 2012

everyone i ever knew at GS was a VP, it got ridiculous and was a running joke at our firm.

Mar 16, 2012

Many on the PWM side are also VP/Sr. VP etc...

Mar 16, 2012
LAWM:

Many on the PWM side are also VP/Sr. VP etc...

Exactly. There are PWM offices with nothing but like 12 VPs and some secretaries. (Not GS in particular but I'm sure there are similar situations there are well).

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Mar 16, 2012

Probably around a fifth of vp's are in FO roles.

At GS the technology division does not have an associate title so they get promoted to VP after 4-5 years.

Mar 16, 2012

I don't know how many employees are in GS PWM but just about everyone in PWM is a "VP". They love calling themselves that

Mar 17, 2012
Comment