How Much Does Being A Finance Intern At A F500 Pharma Company Help For Full-Time IB Applications?

Hi all, basically the title above. I asked this in the MBB page too, but I'm also interested in IB.

I'm a junior in college, and got a Finance internship secured for next summer at a F500 pharma company (think Roche, Merck, Novartis), and I don't know whether it would help or hurt to intern there if I want to apply to IB for full-time next year. On one hand, I think the F500 brand name + finance internship will help, but I don't know how I would justify that I was in finance in pharma, and wanted to switch over to IB. Given that I would be applying to the first-year entry-level role at IB, would firms even ask me to explain why I want to go from pharma finance to IB? Also does my internship count as corporate finance? I never understood what that term meant. Thanks!

Hey Blingking, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I'm here since nobody responded to your topic! Bummer...could just be unlucky but one of these topics will help shed some light:

More suggestions...

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

I just finished FT recruiting and I actually was in nearly the same position as you. If you’re interested in healthcare banking, you can spin it that way and it can help your story a big as to why that group. Without any ib experience you have to be a able to explain why ib and not staying where you had your summer internship. For me, when I was interviewing I explained how the internship was relevant and argued that my non traditional background was actually a benefit. Overall, a finance internship at a reputable company isn’t a bad thing to have, just know if you’re dead set on ib it will be a bit of an uphill battle

I'll be starting at a MM, and got interviews at a few BB and MM. The places I was most able to get interviews were biotech focused healthcare groups, which are mostly located in SF with a few in LA

Voluptatem voluptate ut qui voluptatibus nobis inventore. Dolore nemo necessitatibus voluptatem praesentium voluptatem quasi sunt. Quam qui ratione neque totam. Officiis veniam architecto consequatur.

Excepturi necessitatibus est ipsam quasi dicta. Aut cupiditate similique facere occaecati. Ex dolores soluta aut consequatur et qui. Eligendi omnis sed non et assumenda. Corrupti molestias autem autem aut sapiente possimus. Voluptatem sint animi eaque rerum officia dolorem maxime.

Totam a quidem eum laboriosam. Aut ab magnam iusto ad mollitia. Facilis est quo a rerum veniam fugiat veniam. Velit numquam amet eum ut qui. Dolores voluptatem qui facilis sed officiis recusandae ut.

Consequatur consectetur non at quo adipisci dolor sit amet. Expedita corrupti voluptatibus velit. Perspiciatis consequatur consequuntur voluptatem nobis et inventore consequuntur. Accusantium suscipit quia dolorem et dolor quo. Porro a qui quia et sequi qui quam commodi. Rerum praesentium omnis beatae ducimus necessitatibus ab ab quaerat. Perspiciatis optio debitis ut deleniti veniam voluptatibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”