How much impact will an undergraduate GPA have vs. a graduate GPA on future career? Differences between 3.7 and 3.8?

Hello all!
I just completed my masters in accountancy this may with a 3.7 GPA, and I earned an honors degree in undergrad with a 3.8 GPA. When I was an undergrad, I majored in accounting and double minored in marketing & economics. In September this year, I will be pursuing another master degree in public administration & international development for two years.

As far as professional experiences, I have always tried to work as much as possible when I was in school (have a total of 2 years of experiences) with finance internships at two of the Big-four accounting firms and three of the Fortune 100 companies.

Eventually I want to go work for one of the consulting firms or an international finance organization like the IMF/the World Bank.

However, I am scared that my 3.7 GPA in masters of accountancy will hinder my chances of getting into those organizations. Should I be concerned?? My grad GPA did decrease from undergrad, what is the possible impact? Will any of you provide more insight on what is valued more when it comes to getting a competitive job?

Thank you for the answers!!

lilylilylily96:

lol okay guys- it all started with an acquaintance of mine who was leading the recruiting efforts at one of the firms. he told me that based on my GPA there was no chance for a 1st round.

all of your comments are funny. thanks for mocking me but i do appreciate the assurance!!

That's some pretty shitty acquaintances you have there.

Do I think your master will clean it up a little? Yes. A medium amount? Yes A lot? Hard to say.

Passing the CFA L1 and a 4.0 in an Msc are no easy feats, so technically you have proven yourself. It will really be up to chance now, and whether or not you will land in good graces.

Thanks for your reply.

This gives me confidence. I'm gonna work hard and try to get an summer internship next year. And maybe I sign up for the CFA level 2 exam.

I'm in the same boat as you, where my graduate GPA is a 3.8, but my undergrad GPA was something like a 3.0. So on my resume I just list my MBA GPA and don't put my undergrad GPA. It's also unrelated because it was for a computer science degree (Which are wayyyyyy harder than business or finance at the school I went to)

make it hard to spot the general by working like a soldier

Undergrad gpa once youre in b school

by shorttheworld ST

(Neanderthal, 3321 Points) on 2/12/12 at 8:42pm Credits Does it matter at all? To anyone? Obviously talking about recruiters

Don't ever let the place you start dictate where you finish

No one would remember the Good Samaritan if he'd only had good intentions; he had money as well.

Does your GPA in grad school matteR?

The difference between successful people and others is largely a habit - a controlled habit of doing every task better, faster and more efficiently.

At CBS/W/Booth. Depends on your interviewer and whether the school currently has Grade Non Disclosure in place.

Sure, some banks/consulting shops will ask you for your undergrad GPA, but I don't think it matters that much. If you're concerned about your ugrad GPA, crush your first semester and get very good grades. If your school has grade non disclosure, make dean's list. It stands out and could help mitigate any concerns your interviewer could have otherwise had with your ugrad GPA.

Absolutely can happen. Just went through banking recruiting and while I wasn't asked what my grades were, I was asked whether I made Dean's List. They specifically acknowledged that they know that they can't ask grades and don't want us to disclose our grades to them, either. So they made up for it by asking about Dean's List and making the interviews much more technical.

Not a definitive answer here, but I know headhunters that do ask for undergrad GPA (hell they even ask for SATs oddly enough), probably because some MBA programs have non-disclosure policies for MBA GPAs, so they need some sort of number to screen candidates on.

I'd imagine direct recruiters that work at a bank are probably less caring about that stuff.

Not a definitive answer here, but I know headhunters that do ask for undergrad GPA (hell they even ask for SATs oddly enough), probably because some MBA programs have non-disclosure policies for MBA GPAs, so they need some sort of number to screen candidates on.

I'd imagine direct recruiters that work at a bank are probably less caring about that stuff.

Every resume I've seen from people 1-3 years out of grad school has had both undergrad and graduate GPA's included. I actually didn't know this was even a close situation. Most likely the only people choosing not to include it were people with bad GPA's like in your case.

Argument for leaving GPA off: If I were a recruiter, I'd assume your undergrad GPA not being shown looks bad, but you have some chance of this not being the case, whereas outright showing it tells them immediately.

Argument for including GPA: Given your undergrad was top 5, it is probably best to keep the brand name on there even with the bad GPA.

My vote is to include it.

I would include it. If you don't include it, it would seem like you didn't include it because it was sub 3... As long as your grad GPA will be higher I think you should include

BankonBanking:
If you are already pursuing an MBA, just take the U Grad GPA off of your resume - you don't need it, and if it is bad, it will only add a negative note to your application, which otherwise, usually, would not need to be disclosed.

In this case would any GPA be listed. I think it would draw attention to the vacant undergrad spot if I listed masters and mba but no undergrad. I think I will just not list any.

I had a hard first year and averaged a (2.9). Since then though I've brought it up to a 3.74 if you leave out first year of UG studies. I plan on just putting my post freshman GPA on my resume (the 3.74) and noting that this GPA is since Fall semester 2010 using a footer at the bottom of the page. It is not lying but unless the recruiter really pays attention to what year I started (in my mind) they will see the GPA and give me a better chance. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

streetwannabe:
I had a hard first year and averaged a (2.9). Since then though I've brought it up to a 3.74 if you leave out first year of UG studies. I plan on just putting my post freshman GPA on my resume (the 3.74) and noting that this GPA is since Fall semester 2010 using a footer at the bottom of the page. It is not lying but unless the recruiter really pays attention to what year I started (in my mind) they will see the GPA and give me a better chance. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

The footer will only draw attention to your shitty freshman year. You might even get dinged. Just list it as it is (maybe round up slightly) and crush the interview.

Beatae voluptatem veniam sunt distinctio. Sunt ea eligendi culpa doloremque et. Dolor temporibus sit dolores veniam modi. Libero ipsa accusantium omnis est quia modi.

Aliquam exercitationem sint inventore dicta maiores repudiandae beatae. Nihil est explicabo cum accusantium optio doloribus voluptatum incidunt. Ipsa similique aut aut ex. Necessitatibus magni soluta quae et voluptas. Delectus quia labore modi voluptatum quidem. Asperiores qui omnis impedit illo maxime.

Voluptas amet eos vero tempora. Laboriosam consequatur ab ipsum qui id quo facilis molestiae.

Et cumque maiores ipsa temporibus magnam. Dolore vitae non dolore qui harum nostrum aut sint. Ipsa ullam ullam sed quisquam dolorem in.

Ut autem suscipit dolorem laudantium in. Iusto dicta assumenda nihil dicta occaecati a. Saepe id ad excepturi ut. Quod sed laboriosam voluptates dolorem delectus quia. Blanditiis ipsum voluptate aut tenetur voluptatem eveniet. Pariatur beatae nisi autem rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”