How should I network for full time 2019 when I have a 2018 summer internship?

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding a situation I am in.

I recently got a BB internship in Equity Research for the summer of 2018 (my dream internship) and I am excited for it. At the same time, I still want to expand my network at other firms just in case full-time recruiting is necessary. I have several questions and was wondering if other people who were in similar situations can provide some insight:

1) Is it okay to email professionals at other firms while I have this upcoming internship? I won't be asking for a job, it is just so I can establish a connection with them and learn more about what they do.

2) Is it okay if I mention that I am an incoming intern at XYZ firm and found their background interesting/ would like to learn more about themselves? Or should I not mention the firm and internship at all until they bring it up? I feel that by mentioning it I increase the risk of something bad happening like a professional at the firm I am emailing reaching out to his/her buddy at the firm I am interning for this summer. On the other hand, if I do mention it, I feel that my response rate would go up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey axiaskepsi, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot...do any of these help:

• Applied for summer 2018 internship. Company offered me full time offer in 2019. How should I feel? Slightly disappointed after what I thought to be a great interview (didnt network though). ... Benefits and downsides of going FT without interning there? I didnt include firm name in case its ...
  • Need Networking Advice. 2018 Summer Internship, Should I Still Recruit For 2019 Full Time? to expand my network at other firms just in case full-time recruiting is necessary. I have several ... for the summer of 2018 (my dream internship) and I am excited for it. At the same time, I still want ... Hi all, I am looking for some advice regarding a situation I am in. I recently got a BB internship ...
  • 2016 Full-time Recruiting internship my junior summer- lack of networking was my achilles heel. I am wondering how I should approach FT ... I have considered applying for 2017 summer analyst programs and doing a masters / taking a year off. Any ... banking internship my sophomore summer, but unfortunately wasn't able to get a BB
  • Full Time Recruiting Networking- When to start? start networking for FT spots and how difficult will it be for me to land FT gig without banking ... development for internship but my ultimate goal is to shoot for FT banking recruitment. Is it too early to ... win SA offer for banking this summer. I will be however, going to M&A /JV foc
  • The 24 Interview Lessons I Learned on the Way to Getting My First Full Time Job libraries which could well have them available for free. 6. Pick an article from the FT and the Economist ... insight so I focus on those two sources. Having an interpretation and holistic view is important. 5. For ... the love of God, if they ask how do you keep up with markets, say (at least) "the FT, the ...
  • From Energy Trading (internship) to Full Time Management Consulting about making the change. I have currently been working full-time in consulting for a month and a half, ... Hello All! I have a few questions in regards to full-time management consulting recruiting. As the ... internship, don't be afraid to look elsewhere! full time 2015 consulting ...
  • Full Time Offer, at last! Thanks WSO! an interview for a full-time analyst position. I was very excited but nervous during the interview. ... finance and accounting, with a decent gpa (3.5 up). I started networking last summer, searching for that ... IBD full time offer. I was even considering delaying my graduation for one semester with the purpose ...
  • More suggestions...

If we're lucky, maybe these professional users will respond: Leon-Hunter-Rowe yiwen.looi lionheart

I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Best Response

Est dolorum minus at ad dolores aspernatur molestiae. Facilis aperiam odio similique voluptatem voluptas. Reiciendis repellendus dolorem non perspiciatis tempora illum. Aspernatur qui nihil voluptas neque quam.

Et sed esse et magni nam ab est quos. Similique animi minima quam non veritatis vero et. Ex reiciendis aut vel ut laboriosam. Saepe similique commodi quia est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”