How to gracefully exit?

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a great 4th. Had a quick question for you: I've been interviewing around and as it currently stands, I've been told by a fund that they are close to extending me an offer pending a background check, references, etc. With this being said, I don't anticipate their processes getting done before week end.

The issue with this is that I've scheduled a week off for the 21st a few months back, so as it currently stands, I'll only be able to give my boss a week's notice (not inclusive of the week I've scheduled off). Keep in mind that this time frame does not include any potential negotiations with the new employer, which may or may not last a few days.

I obviously don't want to burn bridges with my current boss, but at the same time, I have no control over when this process wraps up. How can I go about exiting gracefully?

*Situation 1: Give notice ASAP pending an offer, explain that I had no control over everything, and continue with my week off (not ideal)
*Situation 2: Try to push back my start date at the new fund and give a proper two weeks notice (again, not ideal from the hiring fund's perspective, depending on their needs/wants)

Any ideas/thoughts? I'd sincerely appreciate any insight you can provide in handling this situation as best as possible.

Comments (2)

Most Helpful
Jul 8, 2019

Honor your firms preexisting notice period (which will 100% be in your contract) and make sure you're in communication with the new firms HR partner/hiring manager to let them know that you have a contractual 2 week notice period. If you're on good terms with your firm, there's a good chance your current team will just bake in that week vacation into your notice, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that. Most importantly, make sure you've met ALL of the contingencies of the new firms offer before you quit your current job (background/reference checks etc.) Congrats on the new gig.

    • 2
Jul 9, 2019
Comment