How to interpret my Diagnostic GMAT of 660?

Hey guys,

Currently networking for FT recruit alongside my summer internship. I know my grades are a big barrier so I've been thinking about doing the GMAT. My thinking is that if I do really well, I can help de-risk my bad grades to some degree...and that if I interview prep well, and am likeable, my (hopefully high) GMAT score will signal that I'm not an absolute monkey.

I'm following the instructions listed here, and just completed my 1st diagnostic test without any reading or preparation.

As mentioned in the title, I got a 660 on the Manhattan GMAT, which equates to a 78% percentile.

The breakdown was as following:

Essay - Skipped
Integrated Reasoning - 5.9 / 5 - 7 Estimated Percentile
Quant - 42 / 45% Estimated Percentile
Verbal - 38 / 85% Estimated Percentile

I took this in probably not optimal conditions - right after work. Didn't take breaks in between other than bathroom. Didn't answer the last question for the IR, didn't answer last question for Quant. Really, really struggled with Quant IMO - completely guessed some questions, had no idea how to do others. Verbal was a breeze, I finished with 25+ minutes remaining out of the alloted ~1 hour or so.

Is this good? Bad? How am I supposed to interpret these numbers? How much effort am I going to need to put in to get a really good score (what qualifies as really good? >750?)

Manhattan GMAT CATs are known for being harder than the real thing, particularly in math, so that's a solid start. A lot of people study for the GMAT senior year, which is smart. But if you're taking it to land in IB out of undergrad, I'm not sure how impressed employers will be. It has absolutely no relevance to anything you'd do day-to-day in IB (although neither does most of what you learn in college).

my gmat practice scores were as follows:

MGMAT 1 620 MGMAT 2 650 GMAC 1 700 GMAC 2 760 GMAC 3 730 Actual 740

As Johnny mentioned, MGMAT CATs are way harder than the actual test. I'd stick with the official practice tests and buy more of them from GMAC. I studied for around 10 weeks at 20-25 hours a week to achieve the above so I wouldn't be discouraged with your 660 diagnostic. I would aim for at least a 730 to offset your low GPA. Go through MGMAT books, the official guides, and gmatquantum.com (amazing quant resource, can't stress this one enough) and you should be fine. Make sure you spend time on verbal - you mentioned it was a breeze but the key to getting high scores is hitting 99% on verbal.

tz15:
Can you give some tips for verbal? I’ve been struggling on it. I regret not reading when I was younger..

Go through the MGMAT verbal books and practice a lot. I've heard good things about the sentence correction bible but didn't use it myself. RC came fairly naturally to me as I read a lot but have heard from others that reading dense articles such as those in the economist is helpful.

Most Helpful

The exercises in MGMAT's books (particularly Sentence Correction) can be helpful for sure, but my advice is to only practice with GMAC practice problems - otherwise you're like a golfer / swimmer / tennis player spending hours practicing bad form.

Also, as you plan your studying, figure out within Quant is Problem Solving or Data Sufficiency giving you more trouble? And within that even, is it geometry, stats, etc... For verbal same thing, figure out where you need to spend the most time between Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and Sentence Correction.

Also, for what its worth, Verbal can lift your overall score much more than Quant. I had a top 1% overall score with a quant of less than 80%. If English is your first language, no reason why you can't get Verbal up to 95-99% with enough practice.

Two biggest things:

• Breakdown your score to a more granular level than Q / V. There are really five categories of questions, and it’ll help you enormously in scoring if you can pick out the catagories you’re weakest in to practice (e.g. you may be really strong on problem solving but awful at data sufficiency, you may have gotten 70% of your incorrect V questions in sentence correction)

• Use official GMAT materials before utilizing anything else. They’re by far the best and will train you to take the actual GMAT, not something else. You can take up to six official tests (four of which you’ll have to pay for), and you should spread those evenly between now and your actual test date.

I think it is a very solid result

My first official gmat prep was 650, one week later did a veritas gmat and got 600... After 3-4 months of studying while doing an ibd internship got 720. If you can increase Q score you should be able to cross the 700 easily. >750 is a great result and there is not a great difference between someone with 730 or someone with 750 so there is no need to create an obsession out of it, after a certain Gmat threshold it is more important to focus on other part of your cv

Three steps:

1) Actually learn the principles. This means refreshing middle-school geometry, multiplying exponents, permutations and combinations etc. all that stuff that you have likely forgotten, go back and memorize cold.

2) Practice and really hone in on your mistakes. Get excited when you make mistakes because that will be a question you won't get wrong on the actual exam. Mix in practice questions with full-length practice tests on the weekends with no interruptions.

3) Do difficult problems. After (1) and (2), it is important to not rest on your laurels with easy practice tests. I liked the "GMAT 800" book Amazon link (not a referral)

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

In on this thread. I took the GMAT for real today, got a very similar score.

650 total Verbal 37, 82 percentile Quant 43, 47 percentile

So quant is what beat me up. I plan on re-taking. Didn't really take practice tests - probably should have, but ultimately I needed to set a date for the for real test, otherwise I wouldn't be emotionally invested to study without being up against a deadline. I used Manhattan GMAT entirely to study. Reading comments here on WSO, Manhattan GMAT seems to be highly regarded for verbal but not as much for quant, and seems like a lot of people recommend just the Official Guide for quant. I'm going to pick that up.

Mate that's a cracking first score.

My first score was 430 on MGMAT (didnt finish etc)! I got my score up to your first diagnostic after a couple hundred hours timed study.

Everyone starts at a different level.

The GMAT is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and it's one aspect of my life I'm looking forward to put behind me in the near future.

Rerum minus fuga repellendus veritatis. Quis neque fuga earum expedita corporis. Quis accusantium sit impedit autem velit velit.

Id maxime sapiente odit. Fuga tempore est perspiciatis. Aut distinctio accusamus veritatis laboriosam aut enim.

Quidem excepturi aut maxime ut suscipit a. Consectetur soluta dolorem laboriosam vel id et voluptatum. Accusantium beatae quo saepe. Mollitia aperiam esse et aut accusantium. Fugiat ad illum at voluptatum repudiandae placeat reprehenderit molestiae. Vel quo nihil aperiam rerum nisi qui praesentium.

Suscipit enim nemo omnis rerum quaerat. Qui doloremque eum voluptas. Voluptatem dolorum enim qui amet.

Et temporibus minima voluptatum quo necessitatibus labore. Recusandae id dolorum maxime vero. Dolores ut rem laboriosam deserunt consequatur atque nulla consequatur. Sit maxime reiciendis nisi.

Nihil praesentium dolores omnis rerum deleniti est aspernatur. Omnis ipsum rerum laborum consequatur quis accusantium qui. Fuga necessitatibus labore eius autem provident. Et modi hic et.

Iste fugit voluptatem voluptas sed commodi odio. Aut eaque iusto natus voluptate.

Error enim ducimus facilis eligendi qui itaque corrupti nulla. Inventore voluptatem quia doloremque voluptatibus odit vel repudiandae. Tempore eaque qui iste suscipit laborum. Accusantium perspiciatis quam et aliquam quia.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”