How to Make $1-2K in 1-2 Weeks from $100K in Savings (willing to invest $20K at once)

So I have saved up $100K in savings but got slapped with an unexpected $1K hospital bill that I need to pay down in the next 1-2 weeks. I want to make an extra $1-2K in that time to pay down this bill so I can go back to normal: having $100K in savings rather than $99K. Do you all have any suggestions? Alternatively, I'd love to find out ways to make extra money from the $100K I have in savings. Are there any relatively simple and low-risk ways to make thousands of dollars off of my $100K: stock market potentially?

For reference, all of my accounts are in a BB I used to work at. I have $100K lying around in my checking account that I'm kind of afraid to move to my account at the BB because of the regulatory concerns around making trades (I won't trade off of confidential info obviously but am scared I'm being monitored closely all the time like all IB employees and can't be so free with investing).

I keep noticing the stock market is up and down by about 5-10% every 1-2 weeks, and I keep wondering if maybe I invested at the last low of a stock that keeps going up and down then maybe when it goes back up for a little bit in 1-2 weeks, then I can sell at that point and make a bunch of money? Obviously, I understand I shouldn't be putting that much into one stock but I do want to take advantage of the stock market as I haven't really ever invested in the stock market.

The max I'd be willing to invest honestly into something would be $20K so I guess I'm asking how to make $1-2K from $20K in 1-2 weeks.

this is not “low risk” per say but if you know anyone that is skilled at spellings options you can get that money real quick. someone that really know how to capitalize on beta rn in SELLING not buying options should be able to get a handsome return with limited exposure even in this climate.

Industry tag says you’re in PE so assuming that’s true.... just wait for your next paycheck to hit bro that’ll be like $4-6k problem solved

Sounds weird but I'm genuinely serious. I know it's not a lot of money given I have $100K but I also am scared to invest this money at all given I work at a heavily regulated BB and don't want to go through the hassle of compliance that people talk about. I also pay a large amount of my money in rent every month so it's not like it's super easy to get the money back.

Will update my computer soon and leave Incognito so I will disappear forever. How did I achieve Neanderthal by trolling? Some people are after me so need to close account for safety.

go buy 20k worth of HTZ stock (hertz car rental) At current price of 3.33 that is 6,000 shares Then sell 60 ATM (at the money) 2-week covered calls (implied vol is very high right now...but hard to say how long that will last, so do it now) This will yield you 20% return in 2 weeks. or $4k then when the calls expire, sell the stock and flatten your position

so long as HTZ doesn't declare bankruptcy, you'll do great

you can make 10% per week selling ocvered calls on the highest implied vol stocks.

yes, 10% PER WEEK...which is crazy high returns

the problem is that these are very volatile stocks....so you never know if you'll ,lose more than 10% holding the stock on any given day

C'mon, man. I'm serious. I'm saving up my money for grad school. I don't want to be broke coming out of an MBA.

Will update my computer soon and leave Incognito so I will disappear forever. How did I achieve Neanderthal by trolling? Some people are after me so need to close account for safety.

make a list of stocks that have very high implied vol you can either sell a naked put, or buy the stock and cell the covered call (basically the same outcome...but selling naked puts is more capital efficient...you don't need to tie up all your money in being long the actual stock). The P&L is basically the same

so anyway, there are stocks every week where the implied vol is so high that you can make 10% in the covered call / naked short put position (asuming the stock price stays unchanged at the current level)

here is a list of stocks that fit that criteria right now...sorted by implied volatility

JMIA AMC RCUS TLRY BCRX SGMS CHK

i would suggest creating a portfolio of naked puts sell $1,000 worth of naked 1-week ATM PUTS in each name

You'll collect $7,000 total at first. Most of that is implied volatility which will quickly bleed out. -or- buy 5k of stock in each name (35k total), and then sell the equiv ATM 1-week covered call When the call expires in 1 week, sell the stock to get flat (assuming the stock didn't get called away.)

Regardless, all these options expire in 1 week.

You should make a 10% return on the portfolio if the stock prices stay stable.

LOL caveat if the prices saty stable hahaha

ironnchef:
make a list of stocks that have very high implied vol you can either sell a naked put, or buy the stock and cell the covered call (basically the same outcome...but selling naked puts is more capital efficient...you don't need to tie up all your money in being long the actual stock). The P&L is basically the same

so anyway, there are stocks every week where the implied vol is so high that you can make 10% in the covered call / naked short put position (asuming the stock price stays unchanged at the current level)

here is a list of stocks that fit that criteria right now...sorted by implied volatility

JMIA AMC RCUS TLRY BCRX SGMS CHK

i would suggest creating a portfolio of naked puts sell $1,000 worth of naked 1-week ATM PUTS in each name

You'll collect $7,000 total at first. Most of that is implied volatility which will quickly bleed out. -or- buy 5k of stock in each name (35k total), and then sell the equiv ATM 1-week covered call When the call expires in 1 week, sell the stock to get flat (assuming the stock didn't get called away.)

Regardless, all these options expire in 1 week.

You should make a 10% return on the portfolio if the stock prices stay stable.

If you had done the covered call strategy of this portfolio, on avg the portfolio is flat to small up...and you would have made a 10% return on capital from the options in 1 week.

stuff that up your pipe and smoke it

I have no idea how to do this call and put stuff and don't think I can even do it working in my highly regulated industry...

There are a bunch of checking or high yield savings bank accounts out there right now that give you a significant bonus, i.e. you get [$500] if you deposit [$20K] for [3 months] or something. I think Chase and Capital One for example, but there are a few. Since it’s risk free just use the $100K to sign up for a few of these. Only downside is having to open the accounts.

I never really understood how this works. Is there something wrong with opening accounts and depositng money then taking it out? If not, then why doesn't everyone just do that?

Good fish joke, I think...

Any other ways I can make money on the sides? C'mon, guys. There has to be something else I can do. I'm barely working nowadays due to this thing so I have time to do other things. Just don't want to do anything too crazy where it becomes a compliance issue...

How am I going to invest when my bank is very restrictive with letting me invest my own funds? Also, your strategies aren't going to make me money in a few weeks, may be a few years...

I don't want to engage in unethical acts that could land me in jail. This is fraud and I refuse to stoop to that level for money.

richard_3:

I keep noticing the stock market is up and down by about 5-10% every 1-2 weeks, and I keep wondering if maybe I invested at the last low of a stock that keeps going up and down then maybe when it goes back up for a little bit in 1-2 weeks, then I can sell at that point and make a bunch of money? Obviously, I understand I shouldn't be putting that much into one stock but I do want to take advantage of the stock market as I haven't really ever invested in the stock market.

I highly recommend that you try and post results. I will be taking bets on your attempt.

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

There are so many stocks out there that do this. You want me to tell a few or what? Can try this risky play with UAL...

realistically why don’t you just buy some ultra liquid vanguard ETFs and be done with it and put the rest in a high yielding savings account

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Any good stocks to buy right now that are down that I can legally invest in? By legally I mean compliance would msotlye claer.

*mostly claer

It's not that. I am scared about the compliance aspect and how I can make money in a safe way. I am waiting for the market to fall again so I can invest in at least VOO or something to make some return in the coming months. Maybe then I can pay off my $1K med bill...

Quis iure autem aspernatur in. Minima quo molestiae perspiciatis ut.

Eaque sint qui provident distinctio inventore modi. Magni impedit cum quod id facilis ex nesciunt. Ut saepe quae quo occaecati ullam ut. Aut voluptatem omnis ipsam sapiente recusandae. Ratione dolore voluptatem occaecati iusto et eligendi. Et nisi harum voluptates quaerat reprehenderit voluptatem.

Consequatur voluptatibus in molestias nostrum in quis. Dolorum ex et tempora nostrum sit libero voluptatem excepturi.

Et impedit dolores facilis quisquam. Sit est voluptatem qui voluptatibus veritatis ea. Tempore id in et quae et nemo exercitationem. Ducimus praesentium rerum suscipit consequuntur. Numquam voluptatum mollitia voluptatem rerum quae. Molestias harum culpa porro dolorem quos a blanditiis velit.

Odit est optio suscipit voluptas et quis. Amet eum sed sint et earum porro rerum. Repudiandae occaecati velit totam quisquam molestiae illo voluptate.

Non voluptas aut voluptas id et minus numquam. Odit libero magni molestiae doloremque non nobis quis quibusdam.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Id harum aut facilis odio incidunt necessitatibus. Deserunt error qui exercitationem facere. Dolore quia dolorem quisquam laboriosam maiores sit.

Possimus molestiae quas numquam consequatur est voluptatibus. Quia occaecati nam consectetur necessitatibus iste cupiditate voluptatibus. Voluptatum corporis debitis adipisci. Voluptatem consequatur provident error ab rem quo dolorum. Praesentium ut odio doloremque facilis. Sint iste voluptatem itaque dolores ducimus rerum. Accusamus tenetur omnis perspiciatis voluptatum corrupti.

Iste illo et perferendis est sed. Magnam est explicabo deserunt ducimus repellendus quisquam eos ipsa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”