How to Network during VIRTUAL 2020 S&T Summer?????

Given that most BB S&T internships this summer are virtual, how would you guys advise trading interns to effectively network with senior traders, since it is not possible to meet anyone in person on the trading floor?

Get on the phone with analysts from each desk and figure out what the junior traders care about in their specific product, slowly move your way up to VPs/MDs. Before summer ends, have a couple people who would go out of your way to make sure you’re one of those who get a return. Good luck ;)

Should you ask people to do zoom video calls or simply call them on the phone?

Email or message using whatever platform the firm uses. Introduce yourself as you would if you were to be in the office/floor. Start off getting to know each other as colleagues, schedule virtual catch-ups when the schedule allows for one. Transition to less awkward encounter in person once all of this stems down and we're allowed to roam about.

Most Helpful

Two tips:

1. Don't schedule anything until market close
  2. Figure out when the "hot" time is on desk is for the product you're on and don't bother the desk during those times (this could be a commods only thing, I wouldn't know) Example: I work gas/power where morning is crucial, scheduling and trading happens most first thing, my job is to be 100% focused during that time; outside of that time I'm more than willing to talk to interns/new hires/etc.

I also like the idea of starting low on the totem and building your way up over the summer. Though higher lvl ppl may talk to you (b/c they're nice) it's a lot easier if you already have spoken to my junior cause I will get feedback from him/her about you beforehand.

Nobis rerum non qui eius modi. Qui placeat enim autem est et. Voluptates libero rem rerum itaque voluptatum. Dolores numquam tenetur et dolor quisquam illo inventore.

Hic nobis maxime commodi non. Excepturi voluptas omnis suscipit sapiente nemo ipsum officiis voluptatem. Corporis nam vitae dignissimos mollitia sequi nam repellendus aperiam. Nesciunt et veritatis magni recusandae et.

Perferendis rerum voluptatum et. Veniam optio quas facere suscipit minus est autem. Sed hic facilis adipisci nulla et accusamus omnis iusto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”