Hi, I currently am a Junior at a semi-target University with a cumulative 3.4 GPA and a 3.7 major GPA. I am majoring in international relations and minoring in Economics. Last summer I interned at small portfolio manager and this summer I am interning at a Hedge Fund in NYC. AM is something that really interests me and recently I have also been thinking about applying to some banking internships as well for next summer.

What draws me to AM is the ability to contribute to active investing decisions with research, analytical skills, and being able to look at the larger picture. Studying international relations, looking at a large playing field and seeing how world events impact the global landscape is something I find interesting. I could be wrong, but this is how I view what AM is like. Does AM sound like a good fit for me if these are the types of things I am looking for?

I am a little lost in terms of how to prepare for recruiting season as I am not in the business school at my University. Should I prepare for AM interviews as if I were applying for a banking internship? I have already bought the WSO guide to ib interviews and I am taking an online Excel course for beginners to boost my skills.

I have taken few business classes at my university, but I have learned most of what I know from my previous internship and doing investing on my own. I am a little nervous about finding an internship for next summer as I also will be studying abroad in the fall. Any advice or guidance for things I should be doing to prepare for an internship in AM at this point in my education will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Read the WSJ and markets news on the daily, you should be able to talk about trends in the economy and how they affect different sectors.
Know basic financial statements and ratios, and network hard before you go abroad.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)