How to work at MBB as an incoming college first-year?

Hello,

I will be attending cal next year to major in data science. How can I best prepare myself to work at MBB and potentially gain internships at these firms? I am not in Haas. thanks!

- get good grades

- get into haas

- join a business frat and/or consulting clubs

- do other extracurriculars if you have time

easier said than done. i wouldn't graduate in 3 years if i were you, since that makes intnership recruiting tougher (1 vs 2 years in college makes a huge difference)

Most Helpful

minimum 3.7, ideally 3.8+ gpa. there could be a bit of leeway for more a technical major like data science but unsure. if you do end up with a lower gpa, you may be able to compensate with extensive networking.

they care about extracurriculars to the extent that you can demonstrate quantifiable positive impact resulting from your activities. consulting clubs are a good way to do this because they both demonstrate interest in the field and (theoretically) have real impact by solving problems for clients. also, there are alums of consulting clubs at MBB, maybe even reviewing resumes for OCR, so being in the same club as them gives you a chance to network with them, increasing the chances you are selected for an interview. there are other clubs where you can show positive impact though - it's up to you to figure out which ones are both suited for resume building as well as has a culture you can vibe with.

Their decision is based on GPA, your extracurriculars, and your interview / skills. Taking an educated guess, a lot of people have good GPAs and do decent in the interview, so yes, extracurriculars are very important. Take this with a grain of salt, but I don’t think a consulting club will be enough. Make sure to do extracurriculars that give you unique skills/experience or make you stand out.

OCR = on campus recruiting

TAing is not a bad place to start for your work history. it won't be enough by itself but it will help you secure other internships before you recruit for MBB.

if you're playing the game correctly, "officer in chess club" won't be important enough to fit on your resume unless you're doing something interesting like organizing chess tournaments for underprivileged kids in the bay area. again, the key thing to remember is impact! and importantly, whether you actually enjoy the activity or not.

Labore officiis suscipit consequatur cum optio eveniet. Sapiente harum sit eaque distinctio. Neque excepturi quidem iste. Dicta harum qui voluptatem voluptas quod vel sint dolores. Dolorem voluptas dolorum facilis dolores. Animi ut autem natus. Ad quia dicta culpa recusandae.

Qui aut quia et et officiis molestiae quaerat. Similique distinctio dicta molestiae quam molestiae.

Nam et sed adipisci non odit veritatis iure. Est nostrum voluptas amet ullam provident ipsa. Consequatur quo possimus sint et.

Quaerat tenetur distinctio labore aspernatur nemo. Et deserunt rerum molestiae molestias incidunt recusandae dicta. Qui architecto animi quas consequuntur ipsa tempore occaecati. Quae exercitationem sed molestiae praesentium vel atque. Voluptatum iure et placeat ab et. Accusantium temporibus qui aut culpa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

March 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (99) $225
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Senior Consultant (329) $130
  • Consultant (586) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (145) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (342) $102
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1046) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (547) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”