How will COVID-19 impact the 2021 SA class?

sni1041's picture

Current sophomore recruiting for 2021 SA positions right now. The economy isn't doing great and I'm wondering how people think it will impact the size of the intern class next summer? Has anyone heard if there are plans on downsizing? Most bulge brackets and other banks don't recruit until later in the summer and I think it's going to get even more competitive.

Comments (6)

• Intern in IB - Ind
May 23, 2020

They might take the same number of SAs but adjust down the road when they give out return offers

• Prospect in IB-M&A
May 23, 2020

At my non/semi-target school, there's a program where kids get pushed by certain alumni at a variety of banks every year, which usually guarantees at least one to two kids get placed at the alumni's banks every year. So far for SA21 recruiting, alumni at three different banks have said they can't push anyone this year as there aren't enough allocated non-target spots anymore. One of the few major banks that does OCR and has historically considered my school a target has said that they aren't sure if they're going to continue recruiting here in the fall. And another major bank that does OCR completed non-diversity first rounds at the end of March, notified everyone who got a superday, but has now held off any scheduling any of their superdays till June.

Purely anecdotal, but seems to me that class sizes may be smaller, banks are pushing off recruitment and determining class sizes until they see how things pan out, and non-target and non-diversity kids may find things a little bit more difficult this year.

May 23, 2020

My username is going to become a reality due to class downsizing.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
May 23, 2020

LOL I laughed out loud but im also crying bc same

• Prospect in IB-M&A
May 23, 2020
Comment