How would a $100 bailout affect the balance sheet?

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly:

If a company were to receive a bailout, then the IS would not be affected because the company's revenue isn't affected in anyway.

The CFS would see an increase in $100 in the CFF section, due to the money it is receiving from the bailout.

And lastly, this is where I get confused, how would the balance sheet be affected by the bailout? I understand that the assets would increase to $100 due to the CFS, but would liability or equity then be affected to compensate for this increase in assets? If either, why?

Sorry if this questions been asked before, I just can't wrap my head around it. 

Comments (7)

Jan 12, 2022 - 11:30pm

depends if it's structured as a gov't loan or as equity. If the former, it is a liability, if the latter, treat like an equity raise and increase shareholder's equity. Typically it's equity. 

STONKS
Most Helpful
Jan 13, 2022 - 12:08pm

The cash that the government contributes to the business (the bailout) is what entitles the government to some sort of return. If the return that the government gets was that the cash would eventually have to be paid back to the government, it'd be treated like a loan, and would be a liability. If the return is "nothing" or a piece of the company (transfer of ownership to the government), then new shares (stock) would be doled out to the government and thats the "increase in shareholder's equity" portion. The number of shares doesn't matter, what matters is that the value of those shares is equal to the value of the cash provided to the business, so both sides of the balance sheet end up balancing ( A = L+SE)

STONKS
  • Intern in IB-M&A
Jan 12, 2022 - 11:32pm

Balance sheet would be affected in either liabilities or stockholders equity depending on type of bailout and cash is up

Jan 14, 2022 - 2:44pm

Repellat impedit harum voluptatem sapiente ut unde. Et est sint atque omnis. Officia expedita perspiciatis iusto perferendis.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

January 2022 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (5) $604
  • Vice President (20) $379
  • Associates (142) $239
  • 2nd Year Analyst (84) $153
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (15) $150
  • 1st Year Analyst (291) $142
  • Intern/Summer Associate (63) $143
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (223) $89