How would a $100 bailout affect the balance sheet?

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly:

If a company were to receive a bailout, then the IS would not be affected because the company's revenue isn't affected in anyway.

The CFS would see an increase in $100 in the CFF section, due to the money it is receiving from the bailout.

And lastly, this is where I get confused, how would the balance sheet be affected by the bailout? I understand that the assets would increase to $100 due to the CFS, but would liability or equity then be affected to compensate for this increase in assets? If either, why?

Sorry if this questions been asked before, I just can't wrap my head around it. 

Most Helpful

The cash that the government contributes to the business (the bailout) is what entitles the government to some sort of return. If the return that the government gets was that the cash would eventually have to be paid back to the government, it'd be treated like a loan, and would be a liability. If the return is "nothing" or a piece of the company (transfer of ownership to the government), then new shares (stock) would be doled out to the government and thats the "increase in shareholder's equity" portion. The number of shares doesn't matter, what matters is that the value of those shares is equal to the value of the cash provided to the business, so both sides of the balance sheet end up balancing ( A = L+SE)

STONKS

Balance sheet would be affected in either liabilities or stockholders equity depending on type of bailout and cash is up

Ex et tempore ullam pariatur. Quo ea aut quia optio.

Necessitatibus laborum quis aut vero architecto dolorem et. Vel assumenda consequatur rem dicta. Consequuntur omnis modi et dolore nesciunt maiores. Tempore voluptas eius sed quia qui ut aut. Harum eveniet doloremque corrupti nulla reiciendis quae.

Eligendi ea sunt in omnis. Aut libero dolores sit repudiandae. Impedit asperiores hic in eveniet voluptatibus alias.

Rem accusantium occaecati cum pariatur nihil sit. Aspernatur harum ut quibusdam consectetur omnis est sequi. Quod qui dolor molestiae harum cum. Nisi iste culpa voluptas qui est repudiandae at. Cupiditate dolores eos atque enim eligendi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”