HUD 221(d)(4) Ground Up Development Financing

My understanding is that by using a HUD 221(d)(4) loan, you can finance 85%-90% of the total project cost. And while it takes longer to close (8-12 months), that doesn't seem like a terrible drawback given the high leverage that will juice the hell out of your returns.

So why are these loans not something that every multifamily developer uses? What are the downsides that I am probably not aware of? I am not sure what interest rates are exactly, but I believe they are quite low, in the range of 3-5% for new construction.

Can someone clarify how these loans impact the developer's ability to refinance the property repeatedly once it is complete? On a typical deal, the refi's are where you're making the majority of your money, rather than on the rent cash flow, so if it prevents refinancing then I can see why this type of loan is not more commonly used, or even ubiquitous.

For one, the underwriting standards HUD uses are more strict than more traditional lenders, so the debt is being sized using more conservative assumptions. For example I think 7% minimum vacancy for market rate multi family.

Additionally, a developer is not allowed to take a developer fee when taking advantage of this type of financing. They credit it back to you somehow in the form of even higher leverage, would need to speak to the lender to understand in greater detail.

There are also more fees than a traditional loan as well as mortgage insurance which is not part of the “interest rate”. Aka the online term sheet may say rates low as 3.XX%, but there is 60 bps or something of mortgage insurance on top of that, again refer to the lender for more detail.

Why would anyone take one of these loans given these restrictions? No developer fee? Can only refi with another HUD loan, and you cannot take cash out when you do. Tighter underwriting. What’s the advantage? Just because you can probably put less equity into the deal upfront and the loan’s at a lower than market rate? Since you can’t take cash out when you refi, your entire cash flow is fucked once the building opens so I don’t see the advantage over a traditional construction loan.

The people saying you can't get a developer fee are only partially right. In recognition of that HUD allows for something called BSPRA (Builder and Sponsor's Risk Allowance) which increases your loan by millions of dollars in LTC against hypothetical fees. So technically yes all development/GC fees are paid out of equity, but your effective leverage recognizes those fees - it may end up being the only equity you have to raise.

In my experience, the main hurdle is usually the Davis-Bacon wage scale requirement, basically union wages. There are two scales (above/below 4 stories) and the impact depends on your market - in some markets you may be able to pencil it, but in almost all markets once you go above 4 stories it's completely cost-prohibitive.

If you're building a 4-story wrap or some 2-3 story surface parked product in the suburbs with long-term equity, it is 100% worth it. But it's also 100% a bitch to close.

Most Helpful

The previous commenters have hit on a lot of the drawbacks and benefits. I would also say the 40/40 term and amortization structure is one of the better selling points. Very few other places you can get a 40-year amortization. On the Developer fee vs BSPRA argument, I think decrebepro summed that up very well. I will say that I'm looking at a term sheet now and BSPRA is about 8.5% of total project costs. When you can factor that into your total replacement costs and your loan amount is 87% of said costs, that a pretty significant boost in loan proceeds. 

The biggest drawbacks I'm aware of would be the stricter UW standards, the bureaucracy of HUD, the affordability requirement, Davis-Bacon wages, and the MIP (although I typically see this around 25bps).

By the way, brokers/mortgage bankers love to do these deals because we often make 3-5% on the backend.  

Iste repellendus eum maiores iste. Dolorem qui molestiae quidem possimus. Ducimus vel autem architecto ullam voluptatem. Quas doloremque et repudiandae expedita cupiditate et in.

Occaecati voluptates soluta corporis repellat fugiat aut aut. Rerum expedita error quia iure qui dolorem placeat. A aut consequatur omnis repellendus illo. Sit excepturi accusamus ea veritatis.

Cum dolorum ipsum ut id sapiente. Iusto neque exercitationem qui at. Sit aut vel quidem earum voluptas. Quasi dolore tempore et quia. Rerum sapiente et blanditiis qui vel rem. Quos voluptatem rerum tempora qui enim. Unde beatae itaque voluptate ullam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”