trader_timmy:

Any preference on commercial vs residential?

EDIT: just finished the post and read that you won't respond. Nevermind

No preference. Different investors want different deals. No industrial or medical due to lack of expertise to underwrite the deal.

Edit: accidentally gave you an MS when my finger slipped as I scrolled. 2nd Edit: I have a special place in my heart for hospitality. Would be very open-minded to placing a deal like that.

Array

Have you thought about setting this up in a fund type of format? I think you've previously mentioned wanting to raise a fund in the future so set this up as fund-lite, show that you can find deals to invest in, place money in good investments, show a bit of a track record and use it as a base for future capital raises. I don't know if this would be a conflict with your current job but if you can do it on the side and perform well you could use it as a platform for future raises and/or you may be able to show the investors behind your friend that you can deploy the capital in good US RE investments. I'd have to assume if your friend can raise $100MM to invest in an asset class that she has no background in she has some incredible and wealthy contacts in that part of the world so you could do a few deals then formalize it into an REPE fund where you can do the on the ground investing and operating and she could raise capital and take care of investor relations. Just a thought.

Honestly? I'm thinking about a lot of things. I'm actually a bit flustered--it's sort of like a lifelong poor person wining the lottery in that he may have no idea how to handle it. All of a sudden I've got more money than I can place through my entire contacts list. I think ultimately the fund concept is what we want to do, but the legal work alone to set that up is going to run into the 6 figures (I've done some preliminary investigations). SEC and FINRA, God bless 'em, have made it a very complicated start-up process.

To your point, we're trying to prove ourselves to these people first and see how it evolves from there.

BTW, WSO, man--you guys are awesome. The responses I've received have been overwhelming. And from people who know what they're doing.

Array

Since I am currently a real estate graduate student, with a high potential for future growth (I make about $50 a week at the moment. Nowhere to go but up!), I think your investors should pay for my education. Technically it is still a "real estate deal."

We could set up a waterfall model and everything.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

My advice... and say what you will... but put part of the money into acquiring space for dry cleaners across the US and then double your gains by using a Dry Cleaning Transaction Holding Company to act as the middle man as a supplier for all of the retail properties you own. Win Win!

Just to let you know, this is a site where you add value i.e help others. No one gives a fuck about you bragging.

Give some advice of what you have done with the funds. I would love to meet you in person. I think my mind frame would be - he's a punk, I don't give a fuck about this guy.

El Rey del Dios:
Just to let you know, this is a site where you add value i.e help others. No one gives a fuck about you bragging.

Give some advice of what you have done with the funds. I would love to meet you in person. I think my mind frame would be - he's a punk, I don't give a fuck about this guy.

You're right. I've provided zero help or insight on WSO over the years.

Actually, the original post was long but I edited down to one sentence after several days in order to discourage people from bumping the topic back to the top a year-and-a-half later...

Array

Dolor facere doloremque officia dolores quos repudiandae. Aut quia quam excepturi voluptas placeat vero ad.

Excepturi repellendus voluptate et dolores et. Consequuntur voluptas vitae enim veniam ratione quaerat ratione. Omnis corrupti cum laboriosam aut.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”