I have a 2.4/760, with good work experience is M7 or T10 achievable?

Hi everyone I'm a second year law student at a decent school. I have a 3.75 in law school and I had a 2.4 in undergrad and I went to law school immediately after undergrad.

I probably have the ability to get a JD/MBA right now at a top 25 or so school (Emory/IU/Minnesota/UNC/GT/ND) in coordination with my JD program.

I'm wondering if I should wait to try and get an MBA 3 years after graduation or try to get a JD/MBA immediately. If I can go to an elite b-school later, I'll wait but if it's not likely I'll probably try and go now. If I wait, I'll probably work in big-law or corporate development (very good chance I'll have offers at both) for 3 years and then apply.

Redelephant:

Oh dear. Are MBA's at all that worth it? I'm having trouble justifying paying an extra 80-100k in tuition +160k or so in lost salary to have the same recruiting benefits.

Is it something necessary in the long run, if I don't intend on being a lawyer long term?

Depends on your goal. If you're asking this question, I'd be more concerned over whether the law degree was worth it.

Necessary for what?

Best Response

Here is the answer:

• The 2.4 in Poli Sci at an average state school hurts your odds big time, no other way around it.
  • Overcoming it requires being very attractive in every other aspect of your application.
  • The GMAT is just one aspect. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a 760 to compensate for it, but you do need a 7-something. Your 760 works just fine. -Everything else must be done properly: prestigious law firm; promotions; extracurricular leadership; languages; international mindset; targeted story for the school; interesting and credible career goals; recommendation letters; essays; taking several math courses at a university and getting A's; networking with alumni, the usual.

IF all of that is done properly, you DO have a shot at the top 9 (I say Top 9 because everyone agrees on the top 9 schools, even if they bicker about the order; there is a LOT of debate about which of a handful of schools fills out the Top 10, so I reject the idea of a Top 10).

If you don't do everything right, your odds are ZERO. Even doing everything right, your odds would still be WELL below the average 720 GMAT and 3.5 GPA and 4 yrs WE candidate for the M7.

But:

• Harvard and Stanford are completely out of the question. Unless the POTUS makes a heartfelt recommendation.
  • Of the remaining M7 and Top 9, most will reject you flat out, but if you target your approach really, really, really well (ie. getting current students and alumni to put in a word for you, visit campus and cause a good impression, show some kind of really strong connection to the school), you get a couple of interviews, and if you kill the interview, you could get into one school.

A sample of possible outcomes (assuming you ace execution): - Apply to Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia ED, NYU. Rejected at all, interviewed with NYU, put on Waitlist. 30-35% Probability. - Apply Early Decision to Columbia, Booth, Wharton, Tuck. Invited to interview at Columbia and Booth, in at Columbia. 15-20% Probability. - Apply to Berkeley, Booth, Kellogg, MIT. Ding without interview at all four. 50% probability.

The natural place for a candidate like you who does everything right but has that undergraduate blemish is one of the 10-16th ranked places: NYU/Yale/Duke/Ross (the schools that vie for being 10th), Cornell, UCLA, etc. If your goal is to have a solid business/consulting/IB career instead of being a lawyer, these schools will get the job done.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

I'm also a sub 2.5 GPA with a high GMAT (770) applying to M7 schools in round 1. From what I've read, low GPA's can be offset with stellar work experience and a high gmat score, along with a good reason for the low-grades. I believe I am such a case, but still worried because when people talk about low GPA's getting accepted to Harvard of GSB, they mean 2.8 or 2.9 in terms of how low they are talking. In any case, if you have a clear vision for what you want to do with an MBA I'd say go for it, because your graduate academic record and GMAT will show the school you can handle the coursework. I would ask around more though on how your work experience would factor in.

Et commodi ea impedit dolores. Alias et et eos voluptatem est aliquid. Qui quaerat fuga ad quasi porro.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”