IB Full time 2020 advice

Looking for advice in advance so I can plan accordingly. I am currently a junior at a non-target with a 3.54 GPA. I previously played D1 baseball but decided I didn't want to play anymore and am now a regular student. Going into my junior year I realized I needed to get relevant experience on my resume, so I reached out to local PE firms and was fortunate enough to land a part-time internship during the school year. I have been reaching out to boutiques in NYC for summer internship opportunities, but would likely keep my current role if nothing pans out. I realize most banks hire right out of their intern class but is it possible to land a BB, or is that out of the question? How can I best position myself once full-time hiring comes around? I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

hey man, as a D1 athlete myself, I understand the grind. I have some friends who had no-name finance internships their junior summer, but were able to grind and recruit full-time at EBs/BBs and got the offer. I think that you really need to be a rockstar though, both technically and networking-wise. Coming from a non-target, it seems like EBs tend to be more willing to recruit outside their comfort zone if you can wow them technically. MM banks are also a great choice and people too often discount them, but they can place really well.

At the end of the day, anything is possible, but recognize your shortcomings and know you have to work that much harder to get where you want to be.

I definitely recognize that I am going to need to work incredibly hard, but from reading posts on this site some people make it sound as if it is impossible to get any offers from anywhere above boutiques for full-time. Good to hear your friends got in without coming from the summer analyst pool. Appreciate the advice.

Most Helpful

Not trying to be abrasive, but you should do some searching in the archives of the site - there are dozens of posts like yours with hundreds of helpful comments and advice. Typically, people are less prone to respond to questions that are very general and have been asked and answered numerous times.

1) You are off to the right start with your internship - learn as much as you can and try to get some deal / modeling (LBO) experience 2) Craft a thoughtful, sincere and concise story as to why you want to do banking and how your experience / competitive nature attracted you to the field 3) Aggressively network with industry professionals in both IB and PE - this will allow you to gain some unique insights and potentially even position you for an opening should one come up. It's really a numbers game, so you should send hundreds of emails. Focus on your immediate professional and alumni networks - higher probability of success. Draft a template email that you can use to request "an informal informational interview" to be more efficient / pump out more volume 4) Get the guides and study them until you know them like the back of your hand 5) Read "Investment Banking" by Rosenbaum and Pearl - great resource and the "bible" for incoming analysts 6) Polish your resume and ensure it communicates your passion for banking - secure more internship experience, pump up the GPA (with stellar grades), take the GMAT, etc 7) Repeat step 3 until success

Thanks for the advice. I have read previous posts related to the topic, but I was curious what people may have to say about my situation because every post varies slightly from what may apply to me. Should I be worried if nothing pans out for the summer and I keep my current internship? The partners are incredibly smart guys and I think I would learn a lot if I stayed the summer, but am worried about how it would look to only have one internship when full time recruiting comes around.

Quo consequatur et dignissimos dignissimos qui. Necessitatibus ut et quis ad aut.

Ipsam ea sunt quia. Est facilis saepe consequatur optio aperiam autem in. Vitae alias aliquam ullam unde. Architecto libero vitae iusto id dolorum voluptatum omnis alias. Nihil quia error ea quia.

Rerum fugit neque ut corporis. Necessitatibus consequatur in magnam minima beatae neque ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”