IB or $200M PE Fund out of UG?

I'm in an interesting situation and I was hoping that some of you WSO members could lend me a hand.

In Summer 2017 I interned at a small PE fund (three employees, $100M fund at the time) after sophomore year. I really enjoyed my time, but due to the fact that I wasn't graduating for two years I re-recruited and landed an SA gig at in IB in SF. I enjoyed my time there and ultimately signed a return offer before returning to school for senior year.

However, just last week my boss from the small PE fund called me and asked me to come work for him after I graduate. He said that he is in the process of raising $200M and that I will be his right hand man throughout the process. I would be building investment theses, sourcing deals, and conducting diligence. He said that I will have the chance to invest alongside the fund and get carry. Additionally, he mentioned that promotion opportunities are available.

I'm really not sure what to do about this situation. It feels like IB is the safer path as I could re-recruit for PE after two years, but working at this PE fund could allow me to get in on the ground floor of a firm with great growth opportunities and autonomy. Additionally, the chance to get some skin in the game early through investments with the fund and carry is very appealing.

Additionally, what questions should I ask my old boss as I make this decision? It's a huge turning point in my life and I want to make sure I am fully informed before making a final choice.

Am I crazy for even considering this? Please let me know. Thank you.

I would take it. This is the probably the apex of your career in terms of risk-reward, where even a significant loss on a risk taken will still not set you back that far. Worst case scenario, the fund raises its AUM --> does shitty performance --> doesn't raise another fund, you still gained a tremendous amount of experience and could easily jump to another MM PE fund or go to B-School.

It also seems like you know what the right answer is, given your summaryy of the situation. I would say take it man, and don't look back. This fund could do very well and your bank account will be comped for it. And hey, maybe in less than a decade, you could be a Partner at a $1B+ fund,

What bank for ib? Boutique, MM, BB size? If anything reputable I’d lean towards the bank and use that as a launching point to a bigger fund or back to the small PE after a 1 yr stint.

26 Broadway where's your sense of humor?

What is the Managing Partners background? How did the first fund perform? Where is he in the process of raising the 2nd? If he already has the money secured then going to the PE wouldn't be a bad bet. The potential issue is if you join, he fails to raise another fund, and you spend a year getting no experience.

IB will be safer and if this Partner liked you enough he'd probably take you back after another year.

If the fund hasn't been raised yet, I'd tell him you have to do a year of banking and you'll quit after your first bonus or when the fund has been raised.

If he's done with the process of raising, then you have a trickier issue because there's less risk. With $200M in the bank you'll at least have the opportunity to made a few investments and the fund will have at least a few more years to run.

His background is multiple years at a well established MM PE, making it to the VP/Principal level. First fund was raised in 2011 is fully deployed and went 3.0x MoM with a mix of majority and minority investments, so the track record is there.

As for funds raised, he mentioned on the phone that there is $125MM raised from reputable institutional investors, with $75MM still to be raised from previous LPs. I have little doubt that the remaining funds will be raised, and I plan on asking for the offering memorandum or whatever it's called before making any decisions.

Other mentors I have spoken to have also mentioned joining the firm after a year of banking, which I think is a reasonable ask.

At this point I think the decision comes down to long-term commitment. If there will be a Fund III, IV, and V with consistent increases in AUM then it's obviously smart to get in now, but if not then there is more risk.

Most Helpful

I commend you for thinking about this so maturely as a 21/22 year old. You've outlined all the major pros and cons. I think banking for a year gives you some option value - a "big" name on the resume and a wider network - all benefits wherever your path goes in the future. That said, all my connections who are doing the best in PE now got in early at funds that grew rapidly. I'd personally do the 1 year at the bank as well. But I'd grab lunch or swing by the old boss' office and make clear your interest in joining after a year. You could frame it as the BB providing free training, more able to hit the ground running after a year in banking, etc etc.

If you join and the fund flames out, you are completely okay assuming they had capital and were doing a bunch of deals. You would be way too junior to have bad deals stain your track record. But you'd have a ton of "what not to do" deal experience which any PE fund would value for a mid level hire.

I think that I am in a somewhat similar situation but in internships (all three programs historically provide return offers to >90% of the SA's so i treated it like a FT job decision). so here is my experience. 

- I had the choice between Asset Management Products at BB(GS, JPMC), IB at growing/respected Boutique Bank (Stout, Jeffries), and Small HF in leveraged debt space (~1.5b AUM)

I went with the HF because I know they are raising capital and I can grow on a 20 person investment team with direct access to Partners than I would in a more structure program and the upside for me at age 20 is so much higher is the HF secures cap raises and grows/expands strategies. I also knew I would eventually want to go to buy-side if I stay in finance, so this is a great step in that way. Something else to keep in mind, is that taking this shot could allow you to build a unique network for your age and if the fund doesn't have a successful raise, you may be able to draw on your bosses network to lateral into a different fund.

Ultimately, I have developed the opinion that I would rather grow with a company than climb over it. And getting carry in a PE fund out of school is an excellent way to take a shot that could set you up for a dynamic career in PE. I say take the risk, get the biscuit in this case.

Provident atque sit neque autem deleniti autem debitis consequuntur. Ipsam a voluptates sapiente ea nesciunt. Aut tenetur ducimus possimus mollitia eos tempore. Qui nemo beatae consequuntur possimus ratione.

Fuga consequuntur eligendi nobis quasi voluptatem vero reprehenderit. Perspiciatis ea et ipsam et qui quod consequatur. Quaerat dolores neque odio enim ipsam. Nobis sequi et rem nisi maiores ratione consequatur. Aspernatur accusantium magnam quos aut illum adipisci dignissimos ut. Illo perferendis delectus architecto non necessitatibus suscipit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”