In my top ten! Malcolm Butler didn't pay for a drink that summer

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

I don't know how you got that I was calling you racist, not at all. Your comment just reminded me of what happened in my high school post-election day.

AnonCoug:

EDIT: For clarification since I got MS'ed - I didn't think the OP was talking about only negative events,

I do not think you got MS due to your positive comment. I think it is more of a function of not everyone liking Barack Obama.

Rule 1 of WSO: never take MS personally. People will MS anything, you could post the open source cure for cancer and people would MS you.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Most Helpful

Great Recession for me, taught me that nobody really gives a shit about you, outside maybe your family and good good friends. I was unemployed for over 6 months.

I was in undergrad during 9-11. I ended up thinking about and acting on a path to work for the FBI, and studying accounting (forensic accounting, find OBL’s money). Ending up not going that route, but it was impactful as I was passionate about something.

The Age of COVID is going to teach me a lot. Still not sure what the other side will be. I think the Great Reopening will lead to recovery in some places faster than others. In San Francisco, I see a lot of pent up demand going into 6 weeks of shelter in place. Prob a lot of white collar work from home situations. About 80% mask wearing rate (shows that people recognize the need to protect others from themselves, which helps everyone) and brick and mortar businesses protecting employees with shields at cash registers, it bodes well for adaptation. I am bullish.

So hard to say what I will learn since not sure if we will go deep in the Jungle (long term high unemployment, prolonged credit crunch for new mortgages, non-SBA). I think I will greatly miss the carefree life I had being among people, at least until a vaccine or I get immunity. I won’t take things for granted as much. I’d wash my hands. Prosperity can be ripped away from you.

I still have my job. For others like my wife, there is an identity crisis. “Am I in a dying industry?” She runs a retail company that is more or less shut down. There is the unglamorous prospect of closing her business that she spent 12 out of her 15 working years building - like dying alone from COVID in a hospital. No grand closing, hugs and good byes. Just a message on social media to thank the great customers over the years. I’m telling her I’ll help support the business financially for a year. We will see.

I guess the lessons you learn often times depends on your situation at the time and the lens you see it through. This chapter on COVID is just beginning.

Have compassion as well as ambition and you’ll go far in life. Check out my blog at MemoryVideo.com

CRE:
Seriously. This is "Wall Street Oasis" and the Great Recession wasn't immediately top 3?

Granted many of the monkeys here are younger and maybe grew up in suburbia vs a major financial center like NYC. They might have had parents who stayed employed. My memory of the Savings and Loan crisis was non-existent - Ninja Turtles had more relevance. The tech bust of 2001, my memory was “dad why do you have so many companies with weird names that we have no idea what they do in your stock portfolio.” Other than that I was living the good life in Hawaii.

But yes Great Recession should be top 3.

Have compassion as well as ambition and you’ll go far in life. Check out my blog at MemoryVideo.com

I started in financial services as an 18 year old intern in October 2008. I was doing client services at a large mutual fund company. It is amazing how much that time frame sticks out in my mind - and how much I remember. Probably a few memorable moments on the phones during those crazy times:

People would only have statements mailed quarterly if you can believe it. That would be the only time they'd check performance if you can believe it. So 12/31 statements went out and needless to say those first few weeks in January were memorable. They couldn't believe funds being down, 20-30% in a quarter (not unlike Q1 2020). Watched out AUM fall from multiple $100B to under a $100B in a 6 month span. Absolutely wild. Got called all sorts of names/accused of fraud (I was making I think $11 an hour). Worst part was many didn't move to cash until Feb/March 2009 and well you know how that story goes.

My favorite quote from that time was from an advisor that had called in and moved his clients to cash in late October. We had been told to ask why they were moving to cash (money market funds were paying less - this was still A share timeframe). The advisor simply responded, "Cash is king".

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

WillHunting:

My favorite quote from that time was from an advisor that had called in and moved his clients to cash in late October. We had been told to ask why they were moving to cash (money market funds were paying less - this was still A share timeframe). The advisor simply responded, "Cash is king".

this should go down as one of the worst investment recommendations ever. this advisor shouldn't be in the industry. selling out of everything weeks after Lehman went under, sure it wasn't the bottom, but those are losses from which you cannot recover. unless he bought triple leveraged S&P or something, but something tells me he's not an astute individual.

in the name of all that is holy, do not do what this advisor did, it's hazardous to your health.

actually, fuck that. I'm glad people like that exist, it's a nice sourve of new clients for me :)

I can relate to the impression and severity of those months/years you describe. During 2008-2010 I was doing M&A for a big bank, well capitalised and one of the few global go-to address (left) for saving failing banks over weekends or picking up assets in short time. We were literally going through almost all our competitors in a matter of days, unbelieving what we were seeing (these were at the time considered huge, titans, and we're trying to bridge a message of solidity to the press and clients). We had direct line to the Group CEO and CFO. Daily calls with them and some BoD members, mostly overnight and well into the wee hours. Lots of work, very quickly done and under an unseen level of uncertainty and information (many govt packages or securities issued were unchartered territory, many of the toxic assets in their b/s were simply not discernable). We had frequent daily calls and direct access to all kind of experts (Treasury, Capital Management, HF, Prime Broker, Lev Fin, asset managemt -re the breaking the buck of MM funds etc.) all painting a very very dark picture. Treasury was the closest to the shut interbank market, pretty scary, with CDS going through the roof. No valuation model working and non-parametric, fat tails stuff being developed ad-hoc and on the fly. I Came every day home to sleep a couple of hours exhausted... not only from the amount and speed of work, the immense pressure, but troubled from the unbelievable precipice the industry (and economy/society) was almost falling into. It was a great experience with huge personal and professional growth, but an unparalleled testing time in my career. No need to repeat that medicine sir, thanks.

Even though, the OP might be looking something negative, let's go with a positive event. There have been several but I would have to say the night Barack Obama was elected to be the next POTUS. I remember working out at a gym during the election, and when I saw that the state of Pennsylvania, a swing state, was called for Obama, I knew it was going to be a great night. And not because I agreed with all of his policies but because it showed me that there are a lot of good people in United States who were willing to cast a vote regardless of skin color.

financeabc:
Even though, the OP might be looking something negative, let's go with a positive event. There have been several but I would have to say the night Barach Obama was elected to be the next POTUS. I remember working out at a gym during the election, and when I saw that the state of Pennsylvania, a swing state, was called for Obama, i knew it was going to be a great night. And not because I agreed with all of his policies but because it showed me that there are a lot of good people in United States who were willing to cast a vote regardless of skin color.

I remember being unemployed but meeting a potential business partner or boss (back then we had to create our own jobs) in the lobby of the Le Meridian hotel in SF with Obama having his inauguration on tv. Seared in my memory.

fair enough, I just want people to remember history. I'm a millennial so was basically still shitting my pants when this happened, but I think people who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it. 9/11 was significant, sure...for the USA. the USSR and its subsequent fall changed the entire globe.

that, and I don't want to let the commies forget their failure.

A good one thebrofessor

I would add, from my personal perspective (not in any particular order): * The start of first Irak war. I was at high school and already was able to understand the terrible mess that was going to ensue. * The Wall and preceeding that the Perestrika from M. Gorby. Game-changing moves. * 9/11 of course. I think anybody at an age of reasoning remembers vividly that day. * Bear and Lehman imploding.

if there's a bigger global event in my life than the fall of the soviet union, it'll have to be one of the following

1. humans making it to Mars
  2. world war 3
  3. reinstitution of another soviet union or something similar (methinks it'll be china taking over other parts of the world)
  4. another american civil war

I agree, it may not have happened yet, but I don't think anything changed the world as much as the USSR's fall (in my lifetime, I wasn't around for WW2)

[Comment removed by mod team]

Tribe fan here too. That was one awful November night. I think what made it really sting was that it was such an amazing game and improbable comeback, only to end in defeat. Losing 5-1 in nine would’ve been a lot less painful.

The great overreaction (fatality rate .2-.3%), oh sorry covid, is probably one of the most memorable.

Easy for me even it is not US-related,

The 1998 Indonesian Riots. I saw the absolute worst of humanity because of racial tensions within the country. I was diagnosed with PTSD and severe anxiety issues after one day seeing the men in our neighbor were literally dragged unto the streets and stripped naked while being kicked to the ground, while i heard screams of the women inside their houses being... you-know-what.

Because of that day, i feel like i never went through age 8-18, i just feel like i'm an adult even thought i was only just got into elementary school.

Great Topic and some of the responses really made me think.

thebrofessor mentioned fall of USSR. I too was very young and barely remember it but man, HUGE stuff.

1. Fall of USSR
  2. The rise, development and adoption of the Interwebs
  3. The Rise of China

Honorable Mention: GFC, COVID, 9/11

Edited to push 9/11 to honorable mention. The development of the interwebs has been huge for pretty much daily life for everyone. No interwebs, no WSO. Just sayin'

I used to do Asia-Pacific PE (kind of like FoF). Now I do something else but happy to try and answer questions on that stuff.

neink

I am saving that spot for WW3: liberals against humanity.

I warned you... You didn't listen

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

Putting US presidential elections as the "biggest events of our lives" is really dumb (and in my opinion demonstrates that you're pretty shallow and opinionated). Nobody will care 3-4 cycles out. In 75 years Obama's legacy will be that he is a trivia question on VR-game shows for "who was the first black president?" Other than that, all current politicians will be remembered about as well as we remember Chester Arthur today. The historical significance of US politics will be reduced even more as China becomes the world power anyways. It's gonna be hard to care about U.S. events when China finishes the Human Genome Project and puts a base on the Moon. The funny thing is that social media has allowed almost everything from today to be recorded and stored for future generations. The thing is, nobody will read it.

When people study the early 21st Century in the future, there's just going to be a blurb that says "Internet".

"Work ethic, work ethic" - Vince Vaughn

Yankee Doodle:
Putting US presidential elections as the "biggest events of our lives" is really dumb (and in my opinion demonstrates that you're pretty shallow and opinionated). Nobody will care 3-4 cycles out. In 75 years Obama's legacy will be that he is a trivia question on VR-game shows for "who was the first black president?"

Are you serious? Black people have literally gone from a life of slavery to the POTUS. I would say this was a major step forward for the United States.

Alias in beatae natus aut. Sit ipsum eaque dolores eius et eaque quisquam. Doloribus magnam sunt vero animi illum maiores. Aliquid est vel aut molestiae. Commodi iste corrupti consequatur omnis soluta totam dolore eum.

Dayman?

Recusandae neque non pariatur fugiat alias. Consequatur laborum velit consequatur. Qui qui eum sunt esse ea rem. Et quod quaerat impedit velit sed quod earum.

Molestiae placeat modi velit molestiae at. Et dolorem error beatae nam at. Alias in quis deleniti et et in eos omnis.

Voluptatem alias laboriosam non sit earum eum provident eveniet. Veritatis sint accusamus fuga libero minima id porro. Ea cupiditate omnis nam consequuntur cum sint temporibus. Dicta repudiandae aut sequi non ut quia molestiae. Odio aliquid itaque occaecati aut error.

Natus dolore facere dolores commodi dolorum. Impedit error iste possimus est reiciendis est hic. Excepturi quia consequatur quasi.

Dicta molestiae ut sit sint voluptatibus cumque. Itaque est asperiores quis aperiam. Amet labore debitis suscipit esse. Reiciendis delectus aut eligendi est aut. Quia consequatur fugiat fugit alias id quia. Consequatur ut possimus accusamus sequi quidem. Et quam doloribus voluptatem autem quia.

Facere fugiat rerum officia aut est ipsum amet. Beatae est ut fugiat id. Ratione animi adipisci nisi adipisci blanditiis. Vel ea nihil quidem praesentium sunt. Quo laudantium eaque qui officiis et. Ut dolorum voluptatum at modi aliquam suscipit ut.

Qui delectus nemo consequatur omnis. Incidunt eum est sit ipsa quis autem nulla. Enim nobis est rerum praesentium nemo odit nostrum et. Fugit voluptatibus neque deserunt.

Repudiandae ut libero magni dignissimos delectus reprehenderit. Accusamus cumque dolor aut qui animi alias natus. Amet repudiandae officiis voluptatem doloremque enim sunt est enim. Dolores eos numquam quia eius iusto atque nobis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”