I'm a senior at a top 5 target school looking for advice I've been trying to break into consulting, had interviews this recruiting season at McKinsey, BCG, Deloitte, OW and Strategy &. Got flat out rejected from Bain and a few others. Didn't manage to land an offer from any of them. I'm trying to figure out what I should do next. I've looked at a applying to a few small boutiques but most of the main deadlines have passed for them.
My plan was to do consulting for a couple years, then do business school, then jump to VC or Corp Dev. My GPA is fine but not great (like a 3.4). My degree is in Econ with a minor in CS and I've worked at a big tech firm for my internships in data roles but didn't really enjoy them and didn't get a full-time return offer.
So getting to my main question now: *If you didn't get a consulting offer what would you have done instead? *
- What other industries and roles can I get solid experience to set me up for a top business school?
- I've looked at strategy type roles at start-ups and in tech but most of them seem to want 2-3 years of mgmt consulting experience and/or an MBA. I've also looked at operations type roles at startups as well but these all seem to pay around 50k a year while living in super expensive places like NYC or SF.
- Should I be looking to get a masters in something and re-apply next year?
- I've looking at trying to apply to VC firms directly but that seems impossible to pull off directly out of undergrad.
- I've already missed the IB recruiting cycle so that isn't really an option.
- I could probably land a data type role at another tech firm but that isn't what I want to do and doesn't seem that useful for getting into business school.
- Should I look into IT consulting?
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.