On the one hand, you want to wait and see how things shake out given the uncertain macro backdrop. If you have to put the money out today though, it's a safe bet to point to sectors that are experiencing secular tailwinds, which in turn lead to long-term out-performance: logistics, life sciences, rentals, and technology (data centers, cell towers, etc.) to name a few. You can dig into a specific sub-sector or market depending on your familiarity and experience, e.g. single-family rentals in the Sun Belt or life science buildings in secondary hubs. Definitely research the company you're interviewing with and see what they've been buying so you can somewhat tailor your answer.

I'd put 60% LTC on them bitches, and count my mailbox money from my house in Montana.  Them summbitches stay full.  $250m is a nice little portfolio that lets you buy quality parks and have professional management (not interested in being a slum lord).  Strong liquidity from institutional players at that scale if you have to exit.

I would’ve put a lot of it into Hannon Armstrong’s stock. I also feel that if another half of that was kept in cash to pounce on distressed real estate in core markets or REITs that were heavily discounted like Welltower, you’d make decent returns thats worth the headache right now.

Silverstein buying the US bank building in LA for $400 PSF is an example of distressed real estate in a core market (downtown LA as a whole is “distressed” but will flourish in the long term). Who in their right mind wouldn’t make that bet?

cold storage or any last mile related industrial. maybe LIHTC apartments give some downside protection with good upside in the current environment. also GSE leased buildings with 15 to 20 year leases if you are fine with a core return profile (renewal rate is close to 90%).

Array

Automotive retail, specifically new dealers and preferably the public dealers or larger auto groups with 5+ stores. Good performing stores can cash flow like crazy in the US. Solid returns on 20 year leases but can be a bit of a headache come renewal time.

The jury is still out on AVs for now, but one thing that's undeniable is that cars are going to be increasingly high tech, and service shops might not be well equipped enough to service them, so that's another solid revenue stream for dealers (a lot of which make most of their profit from service anyway).

Secondary or suburban market flex industrial space at favourable valuations in Canada at the moment.

Flex industrial obviously carries with it a bit more risk, and is less appealing to e-commerce players, but my firm is looking at current valuations and they look to be solid. The long term outlook is looking at modest growth and my firm has set aside a good chunk of capital to purchasing these assets in secondary areas of BC, Ontario & Quebec. The LP capital raise has gone quite well with commitments flowing in.

Another area of focus is the acquisitions of independent senior living apartments (i.e. just apartments for seniors - no extra care). For obvious reasons we see this as a good investment area going forward. We specifically target suburban areas in and around tier 1 Canadian cities.

I’d probably look at the rings of undeveloped land surrounding major cities. Usually you can buy acreage for super cheap. The population is only going up in most cities so if you’re young enough, and have a boatload of acres around 10 different cities, your bound to strike gold.

maineiac42:
This is the way. Although yields are super compressed at the moment.

For sure. But I have $100mm... if I can generate a 6 cap and lever that up to a 8% IRR, with no downside risk (effectively)? Why the hell do I care about yield; I can't spend 8mm a year anyway...

I understand that the purpose of the question was more about where would you find yield/generate value, but honestly, if I won the lottery and HAD to invest in real estate, I want steady cash flow. I don't want to invest in land or anything where I have carry and no annual return, or anything high risk/high reward

Commercial warehouses(large and small). E-commerce is getting bigger, and as individuals e-commerce businesses grow, they are gonna need space for their operations and as fulfillment centers. I would also invest in mobile home parks and I’ll just flip single family homes and sell them .

• Mixed-use properties in 2nd tier metropolitan cities (e.g., Nashville, Atlanta, Texas, Miami)
  • Large hospitality/gaming companies like Wynn or Sands because of their international presence and aimed expansion into Japan (invest within next 6-12 months as they continue to take blows from Covid)
  • REITs. Pretty broad, but focused on industrial

In late March tried I raised some capital to try buying out one deal that went south for a guy who just got a loan from us. I knew he needed cash and this project would give him the lowest IRR out of 3 other projects he's financing with us. This was a mix-use property less than $10MM. I would probably try to keep doing that.

Bid-ask spread is bad in a lot of cities. But there are still some decent deals out there.

The private market for multifamily has really held up....huge delta between multi REIT NAVs and their share prices. Buy mutli REITs and hold for a year or 2. Demographics are still clear towards renting.

Otherwise, workforce multi and data centers 100%.

SFR is fine but its opex heavy.

Sorry new to the real estate industry, but can someone explain to me why life science buildings or data centers are attractive plays in this environment? And in which sub-markets would they be attractive? 

Array

I graduated from my masters program with a mid level manager at a data center builder. He told me they were building spreads of 600 basis points from ROC to cap rate (most developers are in the 100-200 bp spread from what I've heard). The centers also have lower turnover than products such as multifamily. Most of the tenants that lease, don't vacate any time soon. Typically they only vacate when they need more space to lease and the storage center is already fully occupied. As far as submarkets to invest, I would imagine that any city with a high tech workforce would be good (Boston, SF, Austin, Seattle, etc), but then again if it's a data center, I'm not sure location matters as much - just needs good access to an electric network to plug into.

6% ROC spread or 6% ROC? Depending on the cap rate you're looking at a ROC of 11% - 14% which seems pretty high. Must have been a really long time ago - I can't imagine this type of opportunity still exists today unless its a super speculative play or they are sourcing some crazy off-market land from people that don't know the value. Land prices would just get bid up to a market Yield by other developers if it's that lucrative. 100 - 200bps is the normal spread as you mentioned, and that can be hard to hit even without land cost given how expensive it can be to build.

60/40 stock/bond index funds. Start with that and then come up with an alternative allocation in CRE that would be better than the 60/40 portfolio or otherwise complement it. When you go through this exercise you'll find it is hard to beat index funds.

I like the data REIT plays or looking to the stock market for anyone that's been overly battered. I want the liquidity assuming you can't find great opportunities in the real asset. You basically sit on the $100M as liquid and it gives you IMO risk free short term returns (36% YTD equinix, I'd take 15%, call it effectively 7.5% after cap gains I think?) and the dividends for 1-2 quarters, and data center reits look reasonable  If I want to get into a real asset, my thought is to find something that doesn't lock your capital to potentially miss out on newer opportunities with the shutdown/slowdown uncertainty. I can't imagine many opportunities in real assets which don't lock your capital up through a longer period (end of covid) on projects with lower risk but still compensate you well enough. However, in that case I also liked the spec builds w/ construction loan, mezz or pref equity above which is short term money provided you lock in some sort of preferred rights for an opportunity on long-term/home run equity on the exit. 

Yeah in that first scenario, I do.  I'm going to put my money in there, and then see what opportunities come about for a longer term real asset play.  Buying $100M in equity and selling on the backend to then put into a hard asset may have execution risk but I'm ignoring that, maybe you're privy to it, maybe not.  But that's my answer to the question.  I'm choosing a stock with required dividends over the money market or treasuries for the short term while i'm waiting out for other opportunities in real assets.  Or, as mentioned above an overly battered stock that I have conviction is 1) undervalued and 2) requires Armageddon for it to sink even lower.  The point I'm making is, I don't want debt locked up long term, I want some capital protection through this slowdown/election year, but I want more than money market returns during a time where I think I'm not going to find anything attractive.  I'm putting it exclusively in real estate the entire time.

Levering up on cheap debt and buying single-tenant NNN industrial with long-term leases in-place and credit tenants. Core industrial offers the least headaches in this environment from what I've seen. And much of it still trades at a halfway decent yield compared to what MF is trading at. 

Quisquam voluptatem et soluta repellendus vel repellendus ducimus totam. Quaerat eveniet accusamus amet quo voluptatem numquam possimus. Repudiandae dolorem aut eos mollitia tenetur reprehenderit itaque corrupti. Ut exercitationem mollitia nemo dolores sunt labore. Corrupti occaecati doloribus ad nulla ut dolor voluptates.

Temporibus ut officiis hic accusamus nihil. Impedit nam alias molestias consequuntur reiciendis similique iste quia.

Quisquam ut vero eos et et veniam molestiae vero. Voluptas et qui est labore rerum.

Consequuntur non nesciunt sed in. Veniam est ad quas non. Sint ut quod aut consequatur id autem odio.

Rerum est voluptatem quibusdam est ut nihil. Recusandae rem dolores magnam et voluptatem. Animi nulla maiores dignissimos sit. Dolorem voluptatem necessitatibus animi id quis repudiandae. Quas cum id sapiente quam dolorem fugiat beatae et. Velit ut soluta magni.

Quas ad veniam doloremque. Qui et placeat cum qui rerum nisi fugiat. Eos reprehenderit non qui aspernatur harum error. Laudantium vel dignissimos quis.

Placeat non similique est in consequatur aperiam id. Sed corrupti possimus ut qui omnis accusamus. Neque maiores perferendis nulla laborum qui ab perspiciatis. Dolorem odio voluptatum inventore. Et eos reiciendis odio quo. Quasi dolorem dolores consequatur.

Quo similique sed architecto fugiat omnis ab iusto. Omnis quia voluptatum minus nihil consectetur ea eaque rerum. Possimus possimus et harum ab magnam consequatur.

Distinctio tenetur iure nihil delectus ex fugiat eligendi quo. Vel ea accusamus culpa iste temporibus quia et.

Facere quia et sit odit et omnis. Aliquid perferendis sit earum unde ut reprehenderit. Et quo repellat eveniet enim accusantium ut. Dolores sint ea earum esse qui tenetur consequatur. Quia repellendus aut ut laborum sunt maxime.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”